Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-18, 08:00 PM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Lightbulb What has helped your low back strain?

I have had low back issues for many years. It heals up and then I some how strain it again and again. I'm determined to get it fixed, but how?

I strength train consistently. I do pilates or plank type core work several times a week or more. I do squats and lunges so I can lift with my legs. I walk my dog usually three times a day.

I think it is the QL that I keep injuring and I found some side bending stretches online that really seemed to help, once I realized it might be tightness, not just weakness that was causing me to strain. I also stretch my hamstrings just about every day, and do childs pose type of back stretches. Also stretch my hip flexors.

I have a lifetime of bad posture (tall with long torso) that I have worked hard to correct. For years I sat in a desk chair with my low back rounded, which I am certain has been a big part of the problem. For the couple years I have sat on a ball and try to always sit on my sit bones, not slouching.

I have tried to focus on core strength, I also do a lot of Cathe strength which have a lot of forward bending that I feel stabilizes my lower back too. I've tried adding in a lot of supermans, that doesn't seem to do much.

One thing I don't do much lately is kettlebell swings, I know I have read those help low back. Maybe that is what I should focus on next?

What am I missing? Does anyone have any suggestions that have worked for you? I feel like I am doing good and then I reinjure by lifting something really light the wrong way or twisting or some very minor thing that should not be causing such pain. So frustrating!

I don't want to do PT or massage. I feel like this is a strengthening or stretching issue. I want to find the magic exercise and do it every day. Maybe more pilates? Help!
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 08:26 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Of course I'm going to suggest Essentrics. It has helped with my back pain immensely. When I am having a flare, I do Miranda's back pain episodes and I feel better, always.

Other things that have helped my poor gymnast back:
Lee Holden's Back Pain Relief
Bendy Body lower back release
Lee Holden's 7 Minutes of Magic, PM extended
Jill Miller's On Demand Pain Relief with YTU Balls

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 09:00 PM  
Sara1000

Sit on the floor, legs stretched out, put a band or cord around your feet and cross it. Cathe has this move in several of her workouts - you pull straight out for T's or out and up for Y's. You can also pull straight back in a rowing motion - be sure to pull your shoulder blades together each time.

These exercises, while mainly for strengthening upper back, will help you maintain good posture, which will help avoid low back pain.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 09:01 PM  
DCW

I have to second Jackie.

Essentrics has helped my back to the point I don't think about my back 90 percent of the time. Which is huge! I do an episode daily.

The stretchy episodes really made me feel better. I see myself doing Essentrics forever.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-18, 06:49 AM  
bubbles76

I have heard people give praise to pilates for helping low back pain. I have had luck with yoga and, funny enough, working my glutes.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-18, 06:54 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I hadn't thought of Essentrics! I used to stream and I enjoyed Miranda so much. I should try that again.

Thank you for the other suggestions as well. I was also thinking yoga, I think overall I need more core strength and flexibility. Fewer bicep curls etc which in the end don't do a whole lot for me functionally.
Old 05-08-18, 07:39 AM  
SuzieC

I also recommend Miranda's Classical Stretch Back Pain DVD. These really help to get me out of extreme pain during flare ups.

For me, however, twisting during regular exercise tends to cause flare ups.
I have found Suzanne Bowen's streaming to be a godsend lately. She never skimps on stretching and this has loosened my hips a lot, leading to much less back and hip pain overall.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-18, 07:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

kimf, I have a tendency towards low back issues too. For me, I think it's because I have a bit of a swayback. I exercise daily and stretch regularly, but still, if I am standing/walking for too long (like an hour, not all day!), my low back begins to ache.

That being said, it mostly is no big, but there was a period of several months back around 2012 that I had more of a strain. At that time, standing for more than a few minutes brought on pain, not just discomfort. I was able to keep up with all of my usual exercise and stretching, but the problem persisted, and a few visits to the chiropractor did nothing. What helped immediately--after just one visit!--was a massage. Like with you, my QL muscles are always tight, but my LMT also suggested doing more stretching of the hip flexors.

For more prevention/regular maintenance, I second many of the things mentioned above, particularly therapy ball work (Jill Miller), CS back prevention (I like the Season 4 episode), and back-care focused yoga (I have several DVDs, but a simple standing forward bend with a block between the thighs can be great!) I also find the low back segment from Debbie Seibers' Total Body Solution very helpful, both for back and hip pain.

(On a final side note, I occasionally do kettlebell swings. I know that these are supposed to be great for back strengthening, but I find that I have to be VERY careful with kb work, which can cause my back to ache.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-18, 11:05 AM  
BunnyHop

I find that consistent walking has helped me more than anything I've tried in ages. Smooth movements, steady pace, etc. How does walking with the dog affect your own motion and pace?

When my back muscles are in spasm, Miranda's CS back pain dvd is a lifesaver.
Old 05-08-18, 11:37 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies.

I did Miranda's back pain relief from season 11 this morning and it helped my pain immensely! Now to prevent this from recurring, that is my goal.

Bunnyhop - going on walks with my dog helps so much with loosening up my back and easing the pain. I have a desk job and sitting so much aggravates my back alot. Luckily I work from home so can get out and walk midday, most days.

Stretching my hamstrings is also really helping my pain, so I think that is all tied together. Hamstring/hip/low back tightness.

I'm going to keep doing Classical Stretch every day and see what that does for me.

Thank you again!