Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-18, 03:10 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Question Off Days - interested in opinions!

I have not yet taken a rest/official "off" day in 2018. Now, I should emphasize that I am NOT a hard-core or high-intensity exerciser, although I do tougher workouts on occasion. Also, many of my "on" days have been gentle yoga, stretching only, teaching yoga only, or other very low-intensity activities that I "count" towards my daily fitness.

I enjoy working out daily, especially during weekdays, when it's a way to de-stress after getting home from work. But I am wondering if more off days might be better for my body, which will be turning 50 later this week. I'm not having any major problems/issues, but I do notice some nagging aches and pains (maybe just getting older), and I have gained some weight in the past 6 months (most likely due to a medication factor).

So, I am intrigued about the idea of increased off days having a positive impact. I recently read a post from another VFer (don't recall who) who did just that and who reported feeling better overall. What are your thoughts?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 03:46 PM  
DCW

Hello!!

For the most part, I haven't taken any off days either maybe two or three due to travel or illness. I mainly do Essentrics/Classical Stretch seven days a week, boot camp camp twice a week, and then add in walking or as a last resort the treadmill. On vacation this year, I did nothing and I am still struggling with my push-ups and some how I found 10 pounds . That extra ten may be the reason the push-ups are now a challenge.

My main focus is exercising and not over training and injuring myself. When I first started exercising I forced myself to take a day off. I didn't like it. So I put in some Essentrics. I find exercising such a stress reliever and I often use Essentrics after a hard day in the yard to work out any kinks. I also have a desk job and it is a challenge for me to get 10,000 daily steps without a 2 mile walk.

Try it and see how you like it. I found that NOT working out affected my flexibility and mobility.

Good luck!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 03:49 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I have not yet taken a rest/official "off" day in 2018. Now, I should emphasize that I am NOT a hard-core or high-intensity exerciser, although I do tougher workouts on occasion. Also, many of my "on" days have been gentle yoga, stretching only, teaching yoga only, or other very low-intensity activities that I "count" towards my daily fitness.

I enjoy working out daily, especially during weekdays, when it's a way to de-stress after getting home from work. But I am wondering if more off days might be better for my body, which will be turning 50 later this week. I'm not having any major problems/issues, but I do notice some nagging aches and pains (maybe just getting older), and I have gained some weight in the past 6 months (most likely due to a medication factor).

So, I am intrigued about the idea of increased off days having a positive impact. I recently read a post from another VFer (don't recall who) who did just that and who reported feeling better overall. What are your thoughts?
Beth - if I'm not mistaken, you have thyroid issues, right? I think you need to be careful with overtraining with that.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 04:21 PM  
Donna D

There was an interesting article in Cathe's newsletter today about rest days:

https://cathe.com/5-things-you-might...out-rest-days/
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 04:37 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

DCW, you sound a lot like me! I also have a desk job, and when I wore a pedometer, it was a struggle to get in 2k/day without exercise. And like you, I take planned off days for vacations and similar.

Sue, great memory! Yes, I was diagnosed with (very mild) hypothyroidism a few years back, mainly via pushing the doctor to do additional blood tests (my TSH has always been within normal range). What are your thoughts on this? I haven't noticed any increased symptoms except it does seem that I'm losing a bit more hair.

Donna, thanks for the resource--I will definitely read it later!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-23-18, 06:15 PM  
videofit

I like walking outside, seeing the gardens in bloom, walking in the sunshine and fresh air. Exercise and rest at the same time.
Old 04-23-18, 06:32 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
DCW, you sound a lot like me! I also have a desk job, and when I wore a pedometer, it was a struggle to get in 2k/day without exercise. And like you, I take planned off days for vacations and similar.

Sue, great memory! Yes, I was diagnosed with (very mild) hypothyroidism a few years back, mainly via pushing the doctor to do additional blood tests (my TSH has always been within normal range). What are your thoughts on this? I haven't noticed any increased symptoms except it does seem that I'm losing a bit more hair.

Donna, thanks for the resource--I will definitely read it later!
I’m like you, I love to work out. I do think I’m hindering my progress and even causing myself to gain weight, by working out too much.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 07:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sue, I recognized that's a risk and have always tried to moderate that possibilities by having some days focused on pretty light activities as described above. But like you, I wonder if more complete off days will be beneficial. I am thinking about starting to play around with that in May and maybe even more so over the summer.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-23-18, 07:39 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, thanks for the article! It was a good read, although it didn't help me to decide. That article actually encourages "light activity" during a rest day, and that's what I feel like I'm doing at least 1-2 days per week.

Today was pretty typical for me, intensity-wise. I did a 43-minute HDM cardio routine, but I kept the impact low-to-moderate. Then I did a 35-minute "Alignment Snack" from Katy Bowman, all light stretching. So I exercised for 75 minutes total, but it definitely wasn't overly strenuous!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-23-18, 08:09 PM  
DCW

My sedentary desk job makes it hard for me to get 10,000 daily steps. So I usually walk two miles at work for lunch.

Today I had an after work event that required me to be on my feet. By 8:30 pm, I got in 9,100 steps not counting my two miles!!! So far, 13,600 steps with my two miles of lunch time walking.

So I am figuring I am not moving much when I get home either unless I exercise or walk at night.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off days, rest days, workout schedule