Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-17, 08:40 AM  
cooldham

Flooring for a concrete basement workout room?

Hoping I can get some advice from people with a workout room with a concrete floor.

The saga: My workout room is in the basement, it is a poured concrete foundation. We had put in a moisture lining/barrier and then laminate wood flooring. Then I would lay puzzle mats on top of that and workout. Unfortunately, the basement flooded during Hurricane Matthew last year and we had to throw out the laminate flooring. Right now I am just working out on the mats on top of the concrete. Yesterday I was in there cleaning and noticed a musty smell...the mats were completely damp underneath, almost wet! So I dried everything up, turned on the dehumidifier, etc.

I don't think working out on mats on top of concrete is that great an idea but haven't had problems from it (yet), impact-wise and noticed that at my gym (planet fitness) it appears to just that rolled gym flooring on top of concrete...it feels pretty cushy!

So, any ideas on what I should use, any suggestions on the dampness? I told my husband my VF people would know!
Old 07-24-17, 09:16 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have these in my basement:
https://www.dollamur.com/flexi-roll-10x10-fitness.html
They are on tile which were installed over a concrete floor.

They are pricey but I love them. They provide cushioning but they don't sink if you know what I mean. They are firm.
We had a minor leak from a pipe in our basement a few years ago and I just rolled them up, brought them outside to clean and dry. If I had puzzle mats they would have been destroyed.
I purchased two of the 5'X10"mats but I think you could buy them separately. I have them arranged in a square. My martial arts studio has large versions of them from another vendor and I think they were less expensive. I can get the name of the manufacturer and let you know if you are interested.

ETA: We have the dehumidifier running all summer downstairs and I haven't noticed a problem with moisture on the mats. But then again they are on top of tile so I don't know how they would do directly on top of concrete.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 09:19 AM  
violingal3

I don't know about the dampness...yikes! Have you tried an ozone machine to knock out some of that musty smell? We had some tenants doing some "gardening" in the basement and it was damp and musty due to the high humidity. We set an ozone machine in the basement and it got rid of the musty and peat moss smell that lingered after we evicted them...

Anyway...I had the same flooring dilemma in the basement in my last home. I went with cork flooring - lots of color options out there these days. It was easy to clean with bona (rubber flooring always has this grittiness to me) and didn't have the hard, cold feeling of tile. It also provided a touch of cushion since it's kinda soft. But don't get me wrong, it's durable. I abused it everyday for about seven years and it looked brand new. We are building a home right now and I'm 100% putting cork in my basement workout room.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 10:25 AM  
cooldham

Wow, those mats look nice, thank you for the link lreidgreen! That might be the ticket, bc no matter what we do, it will have to be tile or something over the concrete.

And I've never even heard of an ozone machine, I will research it, thank you violingal3!

Cork flooring does sound interesting over tile...do you think it would stand up to a flood? Not that we're planning on having any floods again, but mother nature may have different ideas.
cooldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 11:05 AM  
KBear

I have this over carpet and concrete : http://www.greatmats.com/products/st...floor-tile.php

I love it. Definitely, much easier on my joints. If I ever have to move, I can take them with me.
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 08:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

My kung fu school has the same type of mats that I have made by EZ Flex Mats. I just checked their website and the 10x10 home mat is the same price as Dollamur. I like that they can be rolled up easily and moved to clean the floor or use the room for another purpose. I can also bring them wherever I move when the time comes.

ETA: I also never heard of an ozone machine. Interesting....
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 08:42 PM  
ksleeth
VF Supporter

Got these from Costco online last year. Also in the basement over concrete. They are wonderful. https://www.costco.com/EZ-Flex-Inter....11623616.html
Old 07-25-17, 03:12 PM  
seww

I used horse stall mats from a local Farm and Home store.
seww is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor mats, flooring, hurricanes