Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-16, 08:07 AM  
wlorrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
A simple and convenient exercise for the front of the thighs (and hamstrings and glutes) is a step-up onto a platform or stair step. You can do variations by keeping one leg planted on the platform and continuously lift and lower, or you can alternate legs, stepping up-up-down-down.
I agree! The Firm: Standing Legs with all of those leg presses firmed my quads in a short amount of time.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 09:35 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Margaret Richards makes your quads cry and beg for mercy with her signature quad work.

But I have to say for visible results, Barre3 gave me a nice healthy bump up in that area. Back in my heavy lifting days my quads used to blow up like balloons, but Barre3 combined with Margaret are giving me stronger and toned legs all over with a nice quad shape.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 12:21 PM  
horusosiris

Barlates - Front of Thigh Burner. Here is a clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lPfRSXQnWg
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 04:47 PM  
firmaniac

Sue, the old school floor work in the Classics definitely strengthened the support system for my knees -yes. I needed non-impact moves at the beginning because my knees felt & acted ruined. It took about 5 months of working out 5-6 days a week for me to feel relief from the pain and creakiness (I had to wrap my knees initially). That was 18 years ago and it truly changed my life to be pain free and regain a whole new agile athletic lifestyle.

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 08:20 PM  
Tugger31

Which specific Barre3 and Margaret workouts? (Is "regular" barre workouts comparable to Barre3 as far as front of the thigh toning??)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 08:39 PM  
rheash92

If you don't want to build your quads does working your front of thighs still have benefits? Like will it help strengthen your knees? Linda's workout looks interesting. Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 09:50 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Margaret Richards makes your quads cry and beg for mercy with her signature quad work.

But I have to say for visible results, Barre3 gave me a nice healthy bump up in that area. Back in my heavy lifting days my quads used to blow up like balloons, but Barre3 combined with Margaret are giving me stronger and toned legs all over with a nice quad shape.
Just curious, how are you combining them? Do you have a specific rotation?
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 10:01 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
If you don't want to build your quads does working your front of thighs still have benefits? Like will it help strengthen your knees? Linda's workout looks interesting. Thanks!
A friend of mine has had partial knee replacements, and does exercises specifically to keep her quads strong. (straight legged leg lifts, among other things recommended by her PT.) I gather they help stabilize the knee, but I don't know that for sure.

For my own part, after doing some floorwork lately, I find I have very sore quads today. Memory's vague, but I remember doing some Classical Stretch, but also doing some of the Callanetics moves (on your knees, lifting and rotating the hips?) I usually hate. Not sure what prompted me to do the Callanetics moves, but now I'm thinking I need to let it return to my life, since doing even a little bit of them made me kind of sore, LOL!
Old 05-15-16, 10:04 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. I have chondromalacia patella, which is (painless, noisy, but still somewhat concerning) degeneration of the cartilage in the knee. My doctors told me the best thing I could do for my knee health was have strong quads. Obviously, you'll want to balance that out with strength and flexibility throughout the *entire* lower body (don't neglect your glutes & hamstrings!!). But I've heard that one of the biggest reasons elderly women end up in nursing homes is weak quads--they can no longer stand up unassisted. So work those quads and love your strong legs!!!
Old 05-15-16, 10:43 PM  
Tugger31

Along the same lines, I have also read that older people have a hard time getting up from a sitting position due to weak glutes as well. The elderly have stooped postures and flat butts. Increasing glute (and quad) strength will help keep us young and mobile!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legs, quads, thighs