Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-15, 03:01 AM  
Pippadog

Squats

Hi

Like most people on here I've been doing squats from dvds/videos for years. Anyway often in dvds like Cathe we follow repetitions to the beat, moving up and down doing loads of different squats etc. Whilst watching fitness videos on you tube for good form squats, most videos show slow deep bodyweight squats, that concentrate more on the depth and the slow momentum, than doing loads of half squats with weights. The positioning seems to be more like the yogi squat where the butt and hips really sink low. I've tried this recently and its really hard to do holding heavy weights.
I'm concerned that all this time whilst I've been doing my workouts that do zillions of squats I may have wasted my time when I should have been concentrating on the depth, making sure my hips drop back at least below my knees.
Please could someone advise.

Laura
Pippadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 03:10 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

I've heard contradicting things

I, generally, try to do the ATG (a$$ to the grass) squats you describe. slow and as heavy as I can manage.

and, yes, I've been in the down position aaaand been stuck there until i dropped the weight

My body reacts better to that than multiples with lighter weights or ranges. Seems easier on my knees too

if that makes any sense......
Old 06-17-15, 05:10 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I agree. ATG is better than the shorter, faster, lighter weighted squats that many of the videos do.

As I've been told by my personal trainer friend, "the money" is in that lower end when your thighs are parallel to the ground.

Also.... as with everything... form is crucial. Always, always make sure your knees are not over your toes.
Old 06-17-15, 06:47 AM  
beatchica

Keep in mind that squats are not a "one size fits all" exercise. As much as some bloggers and trainers would like for you to believe. Listen to your body and do what feels right for your knees.

How deep you should squat should depend on how your knees feel and react. Knee flexion angle and knee joint kinetics varies greatly from person to person. Combine that with ankle stability and hamstring strength, which also play a critical role in squatting. To add to the mix, the condition of your knees contributes in a very large part of how you should and shouldn't squat.

For example, I have Patellofemoral Chondritis and excessive kneeling and squatting is known to aggravate this condition. Given this, I prefer parallel squats, performed at a focused, medium pace. That's what feels good to my knees.

While someone with an ACL injury should consider performing parallel squats for the reasons listed below. http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Ab...ercise.20.aspx

- Parallel squat are recommended over the deep squat, because injury potential to the menisci and cruciate and collateral ligaments may increase with the deep squats.

Not trying to be too preachy here but just want folks to take a moment and think about what's right for your particular knees, vs what you see someone doing.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 06:47 AM  
desie

You haven't been wasting your time. The shallower squat develops quad strength, and the deeper squat requires a great deal more joint flexibility and activates the posterior chain better. Kelly Starret thoroughly teaches squat and other movements, just search his videos with google.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ett+squat+form
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 06:53 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

There is also hip angle and ankle flexion that affects your squatting ability and range of motion.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 10:02 AM  
noodles

This intrigues me - I think I'll pull out my KCM LIFT DVD again. She has great form with those deeeeep squats! Short but very effective.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-15, 10:13 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Another thing that Lou Schuler mentions in the later NROL books, is that putting a lot of weight on your back while squatting can lead to lower back problems. This is unlikely to happen if you lift the weight over your head, but if you use a rack, it could be an issue. Generally I prefer to hold dumbells.
Old 06-17-15, 11:08 AM  
Diane135

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica View Post
Keep in mind that squats are not a "one size fits all" exercise. As much as some bloggers and trainers would like for you to believe. Listen to your body and do what feels right for your knees.
Yes, yes, yes! As someone with long femurs, all of the so-called rules of squats often don't work for me. It's impossible not to have my knees go past my toes when squatting if I'm to remain upright. My only options are to widen my stance or raise my heels to keep from falling over backwards.
Diane135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 09:19 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica View Post

How deep you should squat should depend on how your knees feel and react. Knee flexion angle and knee joint kinetics varies greatly from person to person. Combine that with ankle stability and hamstring strength, which also play a critical role in squatting. To add to the mix, the condition of your knees contributes in a very large part of how you should and shouldn't squat.
AGREED!!!! Also add to the mix your own personal leverages. Many people with never be able to go ATG and still maintain a neutral spine (VERY important) because of their individual anatomy. The important thing is to find the stance and depth that work best for YOU.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep squats, form for squats, squats