Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-13, 08:53 AM  
bubbles76

Flat Abs and Tighter Legs - What to do?

Hi everyone! I am in the pursuit of flat abs and tighter legs. First, let's start with the abs. I don't have a muffin top or anything, but I'd like my ab muscles to show through. When I suck it in just a little, I have a clearly defined six pack. I don't know if what's going on with me is bloat or fat, but I want that layer gone so I can see my abs. I'm pretty good with my diet, whole grain or whole wheat everything, watch my portions, and don't eat too many sweets. I do have tea twice a day, so I'm cutting down on my sugar. I drink a lot of water.

So I guess I'm looking for suggestions for flatter abs. How often should I work abs exclusively a week and for how long? I have the following ab workout:

Tracey Staehle Core Conditioning
Tracey Staehle other core workout
Cathe's Ab workout from STS
Amy Bento Abs and Stretch
Jackie Warner Xtreme Crunch Free Abs

Or if you can think of anything that blows all these out the water, let me know!

Okay, now tighter legs. I'm getting great results with my upper body, but legs are further behind. I've been having constant knee issues but it doesn't prevent me from working out. Just have to keep the impact low. I usually do squats and lunges and the like, but they are not giving me the aesthetic results I'm looking for. I used to be able to just run and not have to do anything for my legs except calf raises, squats, and lunges. Without my running, my legs are not as toned as I'd like. Is there anything as good as running that will tone up my legs and get rid of the cellulite? Thinking of doing Squeeze or barre type workouts (just received them from some lovely VFers for SASE), but I don't know if that will work for a pear.

Oh, I'm a pear if that helps. Thanks for the responses and for letting me rant a bit
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 08:58 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'd do Squeeze since you have it.

Personally, my legs have really trimmed up from doing CS/Essentrics for years and a ton of walking. Something about all those plies and her "lengthen as you strengthen" floor work.

Now, I need to work on the tummy. Sigh.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 09:10 AM  
momofcha

My legs have never looked better since using dream body. They target every angle of the legs and mine are now lean, shapely and firm. Just the look I'm looking for.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 09:52 AM  
dnna

I have done the Firm , and other rotations like Slim Series and have a very strong lower body. also have used Winsor Buns and thighs forever ---But! the last 3 months I have been using Strong Strides 3 or so times a week and I am amazed that I have a deep definition on the side of my hips, and deep definition -inner and outer thighs. I am also really surprised at the difference in my core. I didn't think It would be any different really but for some reason my core is now rock solid. I guess it would be a first step towards the Tonique work- if you are at that level -
I have read Strong Strides being rated at intermediate.
I had no luck with Tracy Anderson-but that is due to wrist issues and no cuing really confused me.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 10:00 AM  
bubbles76

This is going to sound crazy, but what are Strong Strides and Dreambody? Just never clicked on those threads And I'm guessing Tonique is another barre type workout?

Jackie, have you ever tried Squeeze? Can it actually make me stronger and not just look stronger?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 06-30-13, 10:27 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This is going to sound crazy, but what are Strong Strides and Dreambody? Just never clicked on those threads And I'm guessing Tonique is another barre type workout?

Jackie, have you ever tried Squeeze? Can it actually make me stronger and not just look stronger?
Strong Strides

Dream Body set#1

Dream Body Cardio Series

Dream Body Fusion Fitness - original DVD (not a set)

Horizontal Conditioning is an excellent ab chiseler if you have what it takes

For me, suspension Training has been the pinnacle total body/ab workout (for definition and strength).
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 10:48 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Wow. That Strong Strides looks great. I hope Mary has it on sale this week

I'm not pear shaped, my problem area is my midsection. Since I lost weight recently, I have visible muscle showing down both sides of my abs. Not a 6 pack, Lord knows, but I guess you call it a 2 pack. lol. My abs still need work, but at 56, this makes me happy. I have to credit Core Fusion, any and all of them, for that. I also use various short pilates sections here and there.

My legs are also very toned (not a major problem area for me) and I've been doing daily walking, so I would give the walking credit for the leaner, more toned legs.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 11:26 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm pretty good with my diet, whole grain or whole wheat everything
I don't want to get all 'diet-y' but just an FYI that for many the reduction or elimination of wheat and/or gluten products (whole grain or otherwise) really reduces that bloated feeling and appearance. Just throwing it out there.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 11:35 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I don't want to get all 'diet-y' but just an FYI that for many the reduction or elimination of wheat and/or gluten products (whole grain or otherwise) really reduces that bloated feeling and appearance. Just throwing it out there.
Thanks Lucky Star! I was thinking about that, but I don't really feel bloated. I've been eating wheat and whole grain for years, and I haven't had problems. I don't really know what I'd go to if I didn't eat wheat, because I rarely eat anything with white flour (unless it's snack cakes on occasion, hee hee). I hate rye bread.
Old 06-30-13, 11:36 AM  
lilmonkey2

If you can't run, why not walk? I've been walking 3-5x a week (between 2 and 3 miles each walk) and my legs are getting in good shape. I've also done about 2 Bar Method workouts per week and that has helped, but I think the results I'm getting are more due to the consistent walking I've been doing. (those Bar workouts are still really challenging for me, so I often don't do all the reps yet, so that's part of why I think it is due to the walking).

No help on the abs as that is an area of the body I'm still working on! Although I will say that my abs are definitely stronger since I started doing the bar workouts...I can even hold a plank for a minute, which may not be much but it is something I've never been able to do. You still can't see my abs, however, due to my love of ice cream and chocolate
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat abs, getting sexy, increasing strength, starch free living, toned legs