Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-13, 05:41 PM  
SueT

Bubbles76, what really bothers my knees is too much high impact. A lot of the Tonique moves, especially in Tonique Premier, are low impact. I just do the beginning drills on the rebounder. I also think Sylwia's original Mat workout and Energy Mat are kind to the knees, and even her Cardio Mat. Tonique 2 has more impact, so I either use my rebounder or modify some of the high impact moves.

Tonique Premier is on Youtube in sections if you want to take a look at it or try a section. I would suggest trying the squat section or maybe the ending mat section first.

Debbie, hi! I was just thinking I've got to send a post to our check-in and let you all know how I'm doing.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 05:46 PM  
momof10

Sue - I am happy you stuck with Tonique, too. How do I join the Tonique and More on Facebook?

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I tried to find it myself and couldn't.

Bubbles - All great advice you got here. I second the Tonique recommendation. I love Tonique. It's one of my main staples along with Horizontal Conditioning. The Tonique for my lower half and the HC for my abs and upper body. They are a fantastic combination, for sure.

Cheryl
Old 06-30-13, 06:39 PM  
SueT

Hi, Cheryl. Try this link and request to join. Let me know if it works. Sometimes it takes a day or so to get a response, because the woman who is the administrator is in Europe.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233659080064089/

The women on this Facebook page are very inspirational and supportive. And Sylwia posts sometimes, too!

Sue
Old 06-30-13, 06:42 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Alison, you may be right. Maybe just switching it up will do the trick. How long did you do barre type workouts before you hit a plateau? Which ones did you do?
Disclaimer: I was a non-exerciser when I started barre a few years ago. (So... probably anything would have given results!)

Doing barre, I lost 20 pounds in 3-4 months. I was using Bar Method CYB and Accelerated, with some walking/light biking in between.

Then I started adding in a bunch of different videos and stopped seeing progress. I held steady at that weight for months and months, though. After a while, I switched to Jari and did her earlier workouts pretty exclusively (not even her hard-core ones, LOL) -- and after a month or so, I dropped only a few more pounds... but went down another whole size or so.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 07:25 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Hi, Cheryl. Try this link and request to join. Let me know if it works. Sometimes it takes a day or so to get a response, because the woman who is the administrator is in Europe.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233659080064089/

The women on this Facebook page are very inspirational and supportive. And Sylwia posts sometimes, too!

Sue
Thanks, Sue!!! The link worked. I love the idea of having a Facebook group with all women who love doing Tonique. It's right up my alley.

Cheryl
Old 06-30-13, 08:35 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

SueT, I am on that group and I also find it very Tonique-inspirational. Do you mind sharing your rotation with us -- either here or there?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 08:44 PM  
SueT

Bee, what's your name in the Tonique group? I didn't know you were there!

I've been trying to do Tonique Premier twice a week, Tonique 2.2 once a week, and Tonique Mat, or part of it, once or twice a week. I'm also adding in Energy Mat, even if it's only half of it, once a week, too. So since my knees tend to get cranky with a lot of impact, I've been trying to alternate one Tonique standing workout with one mat workout, but sometimes I will do Premier and 2.1 or 2.2 back to back and then do a mat workout. I also like Cardiomat, but that's a long workout so I haven't been fitting it in very much.

I've been fitting in about 5 Toniques a week. My rotation is kind of loose, especially because it's the summer. My husband and I are going to Burlington, VT from July 2nd through the 5th, so that will be 4 days without a workout, but that's okay. Many women on the Tonique Facebook page have stated that when they take a week off, they still maintain their firmness from the workouts, so I'm not worried. My Toniques will be waiting for me when I come back, and maybe I'll do some squats and lunges in the hotel room!

I hope this helps.

Sue
Old 06-30-13, 08:53 PM  
deineira

bubbles76, I also follow a lower-starch eating regimen and have been for several years now. It has helped me lean out and then maintain my new weight for over 5 years. Like you, though, when I do eat grains, I stick to whole wheat and whole grains. I find myself just eating more veggies and protein...so, this evening, we had greek meatballs, zucchini with sundried tomatoes and hubby had potatoes. I had a big serving of zucchini instead. Sometimes I'll make a side of sauteed mushrooms instead of a starch, or I'll have protein, a veggie and a salad instead of a starch.

I also second the suggestion of Tonique and Horizontal Conditioning. If you added those to your rotation at least once a week (although twice would probably be ideal), and kept up your healthy eating, there's no way you won't see results! I'm on a little break from Tonique now as I'm doing a different rotation, but it helped me finally see a little leaning out in my thighs after about a year of zero progress. It's also shrinking my bum, which was good for me but not everyone wants to aim for that particular change. It definitely lifted it. I've also reduced my cellulite. I had been doing more weight routines for my legs, but I'm now liking other types of workouts for progress and I've continued to increase my tone without the heavier weights.

Another change that initially gave me big results with my lower half was adding plyometric workouts once a week. I got big gains from this, but then they tapered off as my body got used to it. Cathe has a Cardio Legs in XTrain and Plyo Legs in Meso 3 of STS and these are both very effective leg workouts for me.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 11:05 PM  
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
My husband and I are going to Burlington, VT from July 2nd through the 5th, so that will be 4 days without a workout, but that's okay.
http://www.burlingtonyoga.com/classes
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 08:00 AM  
wlorrie

An oldie but goodie for abs is Tae bo!
I never really got on the Tae bo kick, but I recently purchased some of Billy's workouts. I did them every other day, and in only 2 weeks, I noticed definition in my abs. I wish I had known how effective tae bo is years ago.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat abs, getting sexy, increasing strength, starch free living, toned legs