Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-13, 12:20 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonkey2 View Post
If you can't run, why not walk? I've been walking 3-5x a week (between 2 and 3 miles each walk) and my legs are getting in good shape. I've also done about 2 Bar Method workouts per week and that has helped, but I think the results I'm getting are more due to the consistent walking I've been doing. (those Bar workouts are still really challenging for me, so I often don't do all the reps yet, so that's part of why I think it is due to the walking).

No help on the abs as that is an area of the body I'm still working on! Although I will say that my abs are definitely stronger since I started doing the bar workouts...I can even hold a plank for a minute, which may not be much but it is something I've never been able to do. You still can't see my abs, however, due to my love of ice cream and chocolate

I was going to start a new thread about walking, but since it's been brought up do you mind me asking you a question? Do you walk outside or on a treadmill? I'm wondering if split up, leisure outside walks are enough cardio or if I need to add more. I'm really loving walking outside, but feel like I get more of a workout on the treadmill. Although walking outside, I'm walking more hills, and pushing my 3 year old in a stroller. I just don't get the arms pumping because I'm pushing a stroller. We usually split up our walks. Sunday is longer( 40-45 minutes-my 3 year olds threshold ) During the week it's a 30 minute walk in the a.m and if I'm lucky, another 20-30 minute walk in the p.m. The morning walk is a little faster because I'm trying to get my husband to walk with at night! Sorry guys for getting off topic.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 12:41 PM  
bubbles76

Lilmonkey, there really isn't anywhere here in my neighborhood that I can walk. The sidewalks are very short. I don't live in a subdivision. And I no longer have a treadmill.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 12:47 PM  
lilmonkey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
I was going to start a new thread about walking, but since it's been brought up do you mind me asking you a question? Do you walk outside or on a treadmill? I'm wondering if split up, leisure outside walks are enough cardio or if I need to add more. I'm really loving walking outside, but feel like I get more of a workout on the treadmill. Although walking outside, I'm walking more hills, and pushing my 3 year old in a stroller. I just don't get the arms pumping because I'm pushing a stroller. We usually split up our walks. Sunday is longer( 40-45 minutes-my 3 year olds threshold ) During the week it's a 30 minute walk in the a.m and if I'm lucky, another 20-30 minute walk in the p.m. The morning walk is a little faster because I'm trying to get my husband to walk with at night! Sorry guys for getting off topic.
I walk outside only, around and through my neighborhood. It is pretty level, but there are some inclines (and it seems, no matter which route I do, the incline is the last leg back to my house! ) I try to walk a certain pace (I use mapmywalk.com app on my phone so I know distance, speed etc). I have a walking playlist on my phone that keeps me motivated. Sometimes I walk faster than the beat, but at the very minimum if I keep the beat of the songs (they are all about the same bpm) it is still a decent pace.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 01:29 PM  
Kathleen86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Without my running, my legs are not as toned as I'd like. Is there anything as good as running that will tone up my legs and get rid of the cellulite?
Maybe rebounding for cardio? Spikes my HR like crazy and feels gentle on my knees (which easily feel overworked/sore though I don't get shooting pains). I have a cheap, old mini trampoline that squeaks but it works. You might be able to find one that someone wants to get rid of.
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 01:45 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Okay, now tighter legs. I'm getting great results with my upper body, but legs are further behind. I've been having constant knee issues but it doesn't prevent me from working out. Just have to keep the impact low. I usually do squats and lunges and the like, but they are not giving me the aesthetic results I'm looking for. I used to be able to just run and not have to do anything for my legs except calf raises, squats, and lunges. Without my running, my legs are not as toned as I'd like. Is there anything as good as running that will tone up my legs and get rid of the cellulite? Thinking of doing Squeeze or barre type workouts (just received them from some lovely VFers for SASE), but I don't know if that will work for a pear.
I'm a pear (extreme pear, maybe more like triangle) and barre worked for me *for a while.* When I hit a plateau with barre, I switched to Jari Love for a while and I REALLY saw a lot of tightening up in my lower body. I was quite surprised!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 02:34 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I don't want to get all 'diet-y' but just an FYI that for many the reduction or elimination of wheat and/or gluten products (whole grain or otherwise) really reduces that bloated feeling and appearance. Just throwing it out there.
This! Giving up grains/flour, etc.. worked wonders for me in so many ways- but especially showed up in my abs. I rarely work my abs specifically (except for standing/whole body moves) and got a comment from a girl about my abs when I was in FL! the shock of my life because I am overweight (I am a pear as well) and in ill health, but she was going on about how fit I look and she needed to join a gym, etc.., but anyways, most of it was due to what I originally said, which wasn't even done for that reason.
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 02:44 PM  
SueT

What has finally worked for my legs and abs, including my waistline, is Tonique! I've complained on VF before that Tonique only makes my legs bigger when I did a 4-week rotation, but after joining the Tonique and More group on Facebook, I was convinced to give it a little more time to see what would happen. I'm at the 8-week mark right now of doing Tonique workouts almost exclusively, and I look and feel better than I have in a long time, and I'm 51!

Tonique workouts are not barre-type workouts at all. They incorporate a million different variations of squats and lunges, holding 2-pound weights. The Tonique Mat workout is kind of a traditional mat workout, but is killer because of all the repetitions.

I'm really amazed that I am finally seeing results in my lower body. I've tried just about everything else, and this is working the best for me. I'm really an hourglass with wider shoulders, but I've always carried most of my fat in my lower body.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 03:32 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
What has finally worked for my legs and abs, including my waistline, is Tonique! I've complained on VF before that Tonique only makes my legs bigger when I did a 4-week rotation, but after joining the Tonique and More group on Facebook, I was convinced to give it a little more time to see what would happen. I'm at the 8-week mark right now of doing Tonique workouts almost exclusively, and I look and feel better than I have in a long time, and I'm 51!

Tonique workouts are not barre-type workouts at all. They incorporate a million different variations of squats and lunges, holding 2-pound weights. The Tonique Mat workout is kind of a traditional mat workout, but is killer because of all the repetitions.

I'm really amazed that I am finally seeing results in my lower body. I've tried just about everything else, and this is working the best for me. I'm really an hourglass with wider shoulders, but I've always carried most of my fat in my lower body.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Sue
Hi Sue! Congrats on getting the results you've been working so hard to achieve. I'm so glad that you stuck with Tonique.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 05:16 PM  
bubbles76

Jenilu, this may sound like a stupid question, but what do you eat if you don't eat wheat and grains? If this is veering too much into the diet area, I'll PM you.

SueT, I think a million variation of squats and lunges would kill my knees Do you find them particularly gentle for the knees?

Alison, you may be right. Maybe just switching it up will do the trick. How long did you do barre type workouts before you hit a plateau? Which ones did you do?

Thanks EnglishIvy for the links! I may use my amazon credits for Strong Stride. It sounds fantastic! Dream Body is out my price range right now.

Jackie B, I found my playground ball so I will be doing Squeeze this week. Anyone have a Squeeze rotation?

Kathleen, I think my husband got rid of my rebounder when we moved. I didn't use it much when I had it, although when I first got it I enjoyed it a lot. I may have to see if I can get one off Craigslist for cheap. Of course, I am in NJ, where nothing is cheap.

Thanks everyone for your advice! Keep it coming. I'm so glad that nobody thought "not another butt/thigh/ab question" or "she should only be working out for strength not vanity". Sometimes I feel it gets like that here, but I want to look good AND feel good
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 05:39 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Jenilu, this may sound like a stupid question, but what do you eat if you don't eat wheat and grains? If this is veering too much into the diet area, I'll PM you.
I am gluten sensitive so I can't eat wheat or several other grains. I eat things made with other kinds of grains (rice flour, soy flour, bean flour, potato flour, tapioca flour, etc.). But they aren't necessarily healthier if you don't have a problem with wheat (and lots of people don't).

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat abs, getting sexy, increasing strength, starch free living, toned legs