Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-13, 07:05 AM  
lynfield

Drop 2 sizes questions.

I have a couple of questions about D2S.

Why are there no biceps and triceps exercises? Is anyone adding biceps and triceps to there rotation?

Can someone list the TRX substitute exercises from the book for the ones on the DVD.

Thanks
Old 07-08-13, 07:41 AM  
katmom

I would suggest stability ball rollouts for the TRX Fallout.
Old 07-08-13, 08:06 AM  
katmom

I think you could sub 1-arm or 2-arm D/B rows for the TRX inverted row.
Old 07-08-13, 09:25 AM  
shaka02

Here is what I wrote in another thread about what the DVDs do in place of the TRX and cable exercises in the book:

TRX Fallout => hold a plank and extend one arm at a time. (eta: I do think that the stability ball roll out would work good here as well)
TRX inverted row => one arm bent over row
Cable chop => woodchop with a dumbell
Chin up => this one is hard to describe. You are in a bent over position. Hold your hands out to the side and then bend your elbows so that your hands are below the elbows. This is the start position. Then you rotate your shoulders so that your hands are at either side of your head. Then you extend your hands past your head. Then you reverse the movement back to the start position and repeat. I like the chin up much better in this slot!

For the bis and tris, I have not added any additional work for them. It seems like the Cosgrove philosophy is that these do not give you a good return on investment.

Deb
shaka02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:26 AM  
saffron

Check out this article on Rachel's site: The 10 Principles of Buff Women. She goes in detail about her training philosophy.

The 4th principle is:

Quote:
4. The Bang for your Buck Principle

"Train movements, not muscles."

Once you have begun your plan, you must choose exercises that give you the "most bang for your buck." This means selecting exercises that give you the highest returns from your training, in the least amount of time.

This usually means using compound exercises that use a lot of different muscle groups, burn a ton of calories and get more done at once. Avoid using too many isolation exercises, which don't give you as much return and take up time in your program. You should never train for longer than an hour at a time so you have to fit everything into that hour.

Don't waste time with biceps curls when your biceps will get plenty of work doing chin ups and rows. How big do you want your biceps to be? They need to be in balance with the rest of your body anyway, so doing compound exercises will assure that your biceps don't overpower the rest of your muscles and you'll get more done at once.

Some great "bang for your buck" exercises include squats, overhead squats, dead lifts, chin ups, push ups and bent over rows.

These exercises give you a higher return on investment than wimpy bicesp curls
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:30 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

That is a really good article. Thanks for sharing!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:34 AM  
momofcha

interesting.

thank you!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 12:54 PM  
shaka02

I agree, great article, thanks!
Old 07-08-13, 12:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynfield View Post
Can someone list the TRX substitute exercises from the book for the ones on the DVD.
note that you don't need a TRX or suspension trainer for the DVD workouts.

i started a thread in the chaptering forum, and if you look at shaka02's post (second on THIS LINK), she describes the DVD moves.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 01:00 PM  
shaka02

Just wanted to add, there is a part 2 to that article:

The 10 Principles of Buff Women: Part II