Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-11, 04:13 AM  
topfitmama

Question Slim Series and Slim Series Express

Hi!
I recently got Slim in 6 2010 edition which also has Slim Series Cardio Core on it. I like that workout because it's short and all standing core exercises with a good cardio factor. Now I wonder what is Cardio Sculpt like? Does anyone have it? I'm not really interested in the stretch workout or the ab workout because I already have Slim and Limber and Slim and Six Pack.

I have also been looking into Slim Series (long ones) and so far, Mix It Up and Firm It Up seem most attractive.
If you were only to get a couple workouts from the series (I don't think I want to invest in the whole set), which ones would they be and why?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 06:05 AM  
furmomof6

Hi Ruth! I had Slim Express a while ago, but traded them. I love SI6 and Slim Series, but just couldn't get into the Express Sculpt workout. I can't remember specifics of the workout because I only did it once a long time ago, but I do remember it feeling really rushed and unbalanced to me, and I didn't feel like I got an effective workout, especially compared to her longer ones. I wish I could remember more details about the workout though, sorry!

As for SS, if you're only getting a few workouts, it really depends on what you're looking for. Do you have time constraints? (Mix, Tone & Firm are around 60 min, but Shape and Tear are 80 min). They're all really good, total body workouts, but Tear it Up has a lot more cardio thrown in (jogging, burpees, jacks, etc). I would get Mix (because it uses the band and weights and I like band work!), Shape (it can be split up into 40 minute workouts by doing upper/abs or lower/abs if you're short on time, and has killer floor work!) and Tone (compound moves with a good cardio effect!). I really, really like Firm it UP too, but it's all leg work so you'll get more bang for your buck buying the others that include arm AND killer leg work.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 06:36 AM  
topfitmama

Thanks for your input, Christine!
I was thinking about Firm it up because my lower body is my trouble area.
I like band work too and I like compound moves.
I struggle getting more than 1 hr time to work out in one chunk, and whenever I leave part of a workout to be done later it just doesn't get done

I'm happy to hear that all of them have good leg work!
Old 07-21-11, 06:52 AM  
furmomof6

No problem! I actually love discussing SI6/SS, as these are my all time favorite workouts!

Yes, they definitely all have really good leg work in them! Since you can't get in more than an hour (I don't really like to either!), I would get Firm instead of Shape. I really love Firm it Up! I've been thinking of adding more Slim workouts back into my routine, you inspired me more now! I always get the best results when using these consistently.

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
Old 07-21-11, 07:14 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

If I had to choose just two from the Slim Series set, I'd pick Tear It Up and Tone It Up. Those are the two toughest workouts, and they're the most thorough. It's true that Tear is long, but it's well-chaptered, so you can skip segments if you're short on time or don't want to do it all at once. It's also almost all standing work - the floorwork is just abs and stretch. And why not get the extra 20 minutes of workout time? Tone It Up then makes a great complement because it works the same muscles but differently, and it also includes some tough floorwork. I found Firm It Up and Mix It Up too easy, and I don't often reach for Shape It Up because a lot of it is floorwork and I think there are better DVDs for that.

Hope this helps,
Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 05:33 PM  
topfitmama

Thanks, Lurdes.
If they are well chaptered, I guess I can make them work for me.
I like working with the bands, and I like unweighted lower body work. My thick legs seem to respond best to this type of exercise.
I like floor leg work too, so Shape sounds good...
ah... I wonder WHY there are no clips available for these workouts!!!! You would think that a video would help sell them, but I didn't even find an infomercial for them!
Old 07-21-11, 05:48 PM  
cherimac

Hi! I love, love Slim Series and am one of the few people on VF who likes and uses Cardio Sculpt Express. It's a nice upper body workout with some cardio bursts in them. I can see why people don't like it because Debbie is a bit rushed. According to Renee, a VFer who was in the workout, Debbie thought that she had 30 minutes for the workout, plus a cooldown and warmup, and was told the whole thing had to be 30 minutes a day or two before filming, which explains that.

Of the Slim Series workouts (I love them all) my favorites are Mix and Tone, because they are 1 hour total. I love Shape and to make it an hour I leave out the calf work (not a problem area for me) and leave out the last 10 minutes of standing work and it's about an hour. I personally don't like Tear. It definitely has some good cardio but the workout itself has too many deadlifts. I sub some chest work in for a set or two of the deadlifts when I do it and it's much better. I also leave out the band work in this one to make this workout around an hour too.

I hope that helps a bit. Whatever you decide, enjoy the workouts!
Old 07-21-11, 05:57 PM  
edensmom

SS Express Cardio Sculpt is an upper body workout. It may have abs at the end but I don't remember. What I don't like about these workouts (Express) is that Debbie seems less natural and the rapport she had with the backgrounders in SS seems to be missing. I just love Debbie and the Slim Series and honestly cannot rave enough about them. I don't think you will go wrong getting any of them as the workouts are pretty similar. I agree you can skip Firm it Up! if you can't get them all because all the others do a great job hitting the legs. HTH
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 06:14 PM  
MKEMom

I'll put in my own vote for Tone. The floorwork at the end is killer. I'd say Shape and Tone are my favorites, with Mix being a close third. I think Firm and Tear are good workouts, I just find them a bit torturous . I loved the series though. It gave me some visible results I had not had before.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 07:16 PM  
furmomof6

Ruth, I just came across this at ya-ya's, it's a breakdown of all the different Slim workouts: http://yayavideoreviews.yuku.com/forums/58

I hope the link works! At least you can get an idea of the exercises in each workout before you buy!

Tags
debbie siebers, slim in 6 (2010), slim series, slim series express