Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-11, 10:37 AM  
neatski

Another running question: hamstring vs. quad strength

I was under the impression that runners (and especially females) have a tendency to have hamstring vs. quad muscle imbalances because the quads become stronger from the running than the hamstrings, but I was told recently that it was the opposite, that the quads tend to be weaker and the hamstrings stronger.

As I try to start running again, I'm trying to ensure that I do not have such imbalances. I have been focusing my strength training on my posterior chain and less on the quads because of what I thought before. Does anyone know which is correct?

ETA: I train my quads as well- particularly the in the context of cardio drills and squats.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 11:18 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I think part of it depends on the style of running.

I see many runners (especially those who are trained, like our college cross-country team, or the ones at the head of 5k races) who have a lot of kick back, like they're almost doing butt kicks, which would definitely work the hammies more. Other runners (and most 'joggers') have less of ahamstring kick, which could work the quads more.

For balanced strength, hamstrings should be about 70-75% (I forget which) as strong as the quads (which you can check by doing isolation exercises like extensions and curls, though I wouldn't recommend extensions as a regular part of an exercise program, because of the potential stress to the knees).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 01:40 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

I'm a runner (definitely not a jogger ) and I believe running works the hamstrings a bit more than the quads. Therefore, to prevent imbalances, I try to do quad work, inner thigh lifts, and knee stabilization exercises. I think even the sort of ab moves that involve lifting one straightened leg up and down are useful. Hope this helps!

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 04:35 PM  
neatski

Thanks! I guess I just need to make sure i train both. Before my knee issues started, I was only training my quads.

Old 06-01-11, 07:56 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

You know what I also find really helpful - workouts like Cathe's Gym Style Legs, the floorwork portion. I think that pushing hard into a stability ball works all my little muscles around the knee in just the right way. I also really like the add-on leg exercises on Cathe's STS, especially the ones that make use of ankle weights and (separately) the stability ball.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 07:24 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Be sure to stretch both as much as you are strengthening them.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 11:15 AM  
JP44

Neatski, you might think about going to a running coach to have your stride analyzed. You may have something funky going on that you aren't aware of that is causing your knee pain. Alternatively, have someone videotape you running to see what you do (film from the front, back & sides). You may be overstriding, landing too heavily on your heel, landing on your toes, crossing your arms in front of your body, etc.

The fact that you don't have knee pain when you do high impact workouts, but it sets in really quick when you run makes me wonder if your style of running that causing the problem.

Some really good running stores will have a trained employee watch you run (either on an in-store treadmill or outside the store) to see your stride.

My DD's stride was a mess. She worked w/ an athletic trainer who cured her ITB problems & knee issues by working on her stride & doing intensively whole body strength training. Lots of core work!! The trainer said, "It's not just your legs that go running, your whole body is working too. Your core, your glutes, your arms."

HTH!

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 06:13 PM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

My daughter, who is a distance runner in college, has stronger quads then hamstrings. Has always been the case.

Lollie
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:47 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
Neatski, you might think about going to a running coach to have your stride analyzed. You may have something funky going on that you aren't aware of that is causing your knee pain. Alternatively, have someone videotape you running to see what you do (film from the front, back & sides). You may be overstriding, landing too heavily on your heel, landing on your toes, crossing your arms in front of your body, etc.

The fact that you don't have knee pain when you do high impact workouts, but it sets in really quick when you run makes me wonder if your style of running that causing the problem.

Some really good running stores will have a trained employee watch you run (either on an in-store treadmill or outside the store) to see your stride.

My DD's stride was a mess. She worked w/ an athletic trainer who cured her ITB problems & knee issues by working on her stride & doing intensively whole body strength training. Lots of core work!! The trainer said, "It's not just your legs that go running, your whole body is working too. Your core, your glutes, your arms."

HTH!

Joan
Definitely good points.

I actually JUST had my stride analyzed a week ago, thus the foray into running again. He said that I pronate and gave me stability shoes to correct it, and when he videotaped me again wearing the shoes, there was no more pronation. Otherwise, he said that everything about my gait and stride was perfect. I land on the balls of my feet, the length of my stride is right, etc. I have also spent the last 2.5 years conditioning and strengthening my legs and core, and I don't think that muscle weakness or imbalance is the issue either.

I really believe at this point, after having my knee examined by several medical professionals, that my knee pain is likely psychosomatic, a la Dr. John Sarno. Like you pointed out, I can do pretty much any high impact activity- including step, dance, etc.- without a single twinge, but then 1 minute into running, I experience tremendous pain in my knees that immediately dissipates when I stop running. It's all very strange. I thought it was something physical for a long time, but now that I've had my gait looked at, I know I'm running correctly, my legs and core are 100x stronger than they were back when I was a runner, I know my shoes are good, there's nothing actually physically wrong with my knee... it seems like the psychosomatic idea is worth exploring. But I do want to make sure that I am properly physically conditioned so I can give running my best shot.

Old 06-03-11, 06:45 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

This is a great question. I too have often heard running overworks the quads but it's my hamstrings that are overdeveloped. When I was training for marathons and going to a physical therapist he said my hamstrings were too tight and my quads too weak, so I've worked hard on doing extra weight work on the quads since.

I also do a lot of hiking, which may have an effect.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hamstrings, john sarno, quads, running