Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-11, 08:50 AM  
beatchica

Thanks Buzzer for the review! I think I am going to wait on this one. Sounds fun, but a bit repetitive.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 04:00 PM  
Buzzer

CAUTION: today as I was using the straps, I was face down in plank with my feet in the straps, and as I started moving my feet for swimmers, one of the holders started to slide, it hadn't caught the strap. Luckily I wasn't in a move where I was leaning back, letting the strap hold my weight, but I still had to quickly put down my knees and deal with it. If I put my nail under the part you push to adjust it, it holds, but this is only my 5th time using the straps, and I'm afraid that on my 10 or 11th time, that trick won't work anymore. It happened a few other times during the workout, so I started checking it before committing my weight to it on any of the moves. I emailed Nordictrack, but don't expect to hear from them soon. Their email system also wouldn't let me email customer service since I don't have a serial number, so I had to email sales and pray they pass it on to the right department.
Very dangerous, so use caution & make sure your strap catches!
I hope they fix this soon.
Anyhow, did week 5, and it was definitely more Insanity like. You spend more time in Plank this time, and he adds a few exercises and kettlebells!
The KB is used three times: he has you do a one leg squat with one leg in the straps, and as you go up & down in your squat, you bring the KB to a straight arm up & down. #2: he does some KB swings. #3: bicep curls with a hold in the lowest point of a squat.
My HR was very high, I didn't have my KB inside with me so I did the exercises without it and still got a good workout! The jumping jack portion is cut shorter & is about 1/2 way through the workout rather than at the first, and again there is a lot of jumping.
Today I did the workout as written since I'm feeling better, and really noticed it's harder than I thought. I'll have to do weeks 1-3 fully over the next few days to see how I feel about those now that I feel like I'm getting lung capacity back.
I still love this, and once I checked the clip thingie and made sure it was strong, I enjoyed the alternating pull backs with the strap, the lean forward alternating punches, the swims, the pikes with a pushup.. I'm really loving this. The warm up is completely annoying to me, but mostly because he rotates you ankle,then your knee, then your hip, then your shoulder, then your elbow... it's just slow and tedious. The tedious part is only a few minutes, and I should probably just skip over this part. Instead, I had the Insanity infomercial on (it's OK 'cause I already own it so I won't be tempted by it) so I did the warm up watching Insanity.
Anyhow, week 5, SO much better. I guess weeks 1-3 are building up to this, and I'm excited to see what the next workouts are like. I think people that like Insanity (Sancho!) will want to do 1-3 once to figure out some of the moves, but will start to like this set at week 5.
Still don't think it can compare to P90X since the programs so far are not at ALL similar.
Oh, I skipped week 4, it was "recharge" and I didn't need to recharge yet. I think I will start at week 1 again tomorrow, but honestly, I may just do week 5 again 'cause I enjoyed it so much more!!!

Those of you who have received it I hope you jump in and tell us what you think, and I also hope you have more luck with the lock thing than I do. I'll tell you guys what Nordictrack says, but I really hope it's an isolated problem and no one gets hurt by it if it isn't

ETA: Yes, Suegy, the exercises are all 60 seconds. The exception is when you are using just one side (ie one legged squats) then it's 30 seconds one side, 30 seconds the other. HTH
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 08:49 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thanks Buzzer for your reviews. The last workout sounds really good. I like how it uses the kb with the Rip60. I have some of the TRX DVDs but honestly I mostly just use the books to get exercise ideas. I prefer to do my own exercises alternating between kettlebell, Jungle Gym (like TRX), bodyweight, and compound (not iso) exercises.
Old 02-13-11, 09:06 PM  
suegy3

Thanks again Buzzer and I'm glad that you weren't hurt. And hopefully you'll hear from Nordictrack soon.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 10:29 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Thanks again Buzzer and I'm glad that you weren't hurt. And hopefully you'll hear from Nordictrack soon.
I'm also glad that you weren't hurt Buzzer.
Old 02-14-11, 11:54 AM  
enduranceron

I just did the first workout this AM (recieved on Friday). I initially set it up using my door. But my doors are all opposite from the recommended way to use it (my doors open in) and I did not like the way it held. So, I went ahead and attached the Rip 60 to my heavy bag stand (took down the heavy bag and using one of my climbing caribiners attached the Rip 60). It felt much more secure and stable.

Anyway, I did the workout and my inital thoughts were that the warm up felt long (and didn't really warm me up) and the workout itself felt a little short. I am coming off my long run or 2 hours yesterday so I kind of welcomed the shorter workout though.

I did like the workout though. I liked alot of the moves and see the potential benefits of using it. Was finally nice to use a suspension trainer (I got the Jungle Gym for X-mas but hadn't used it yet).

I plan to semi-follow the rotation as I get ready for trail racing season to get underway in 8 weeks. I am going to do the workout 3 days per week (MWF) instead of the recommended 5 (doing Insanity the other 2 days) along with my regular running plan.

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Just chiming in again.... I've only done that first workout the one time, as I already mentioned in this thread. My problem is that my doors are all opposite, too, or the one that's not just doesn't have enough room outside it. So, I think I may have to wait until summer time and make these outdoor workouts -- I'm not sure I want to put anything permanent up in the family room for attachment.

I know what you mean about the first workout feeling short, but I have to say, it really did get my heart rate up, and I felt sore the next day, so it was pretty effective for me anyway. I'm excited to try again, if I could just figure out a way....
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:09 PM  
Rhonda

I got mine and we hooked it up to the squat rack but hopefully when we get our exercise room renovated we will have a hook in the ceiling to put it on. Almost seems too low but the squat rack is the same height or maybe a little taller than a door so not sure how people use it if they are taller than I?

Anyway, I watched Jilllians workout as I walked on the treadmill and I thought it was going to be longer but it came in at just around 25 -30 minutes. Looked good and I don't see why you would have to do all eight weeks before trying this one. Then again watching and doing are two different things so maybe it is something to build up to. Not sure what I will be doing when I get home. I would like to try this out though.

For those that have done some of the workouts, what are the workout lengths on them?

I feel like I got a good deal on this package, the trainer seems sturdy and 12 DVDS.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:21 PM  
momof10

Dironstarr - So when you say you are going to do this particular system three times a week, will you do the first DVD foe that three times and then next week do the second DVD?

I have done my TRX several times, so I wasn't sure if I should start with disc 1. My disc 11 was stuck in the holder. I had to rip the folder to get it out. There was glue on the disc, so I cleaned it the best I could. I put it in the player to make sure it still played okay. Oh my gosh, I couldn't believe how advanced just the beginning of the workout looked. It made me think that I should start with disc 1. I have 8 DVDs from the TRX suspension and none of those look like disc 11 looked. I just know that the TRX got me quite sore. I am debating whether to do as Dironstarr is. Possibly do disc one three times a week, etc.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:29 PM  
enduranceron

Hey Cheryl,

Yes, I am going to do the week 1 dvd 3 times this week. I want to give their recommended build up process a chance to prove itself but I can't imagine doing it 5 times this week. Plus I like to do other workouts and I am building to a 50k in 9 weeks time so I have to get my miles in too.

If I find the process not giving me the results I want, I may change and alternate DVD's throughout the week.

Or if Asylum comes out in the middle of this rotation...it will go out the window for that.

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rip:60