Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-18, 05:34 AM  
Tugger31

Question Barre Modification??

Doing so many exercises on my toes really bothers me and causes more foot ache than anything, but I feel there is a reason certain exercises are done this way. Has anyone tried having their heels rest on 3 lb dumbbells instead? (Kind of like how Cathe does with some of her deadlifts) Would this give the same thigh/leg benefit without the foot ache or would it be better just to do everything on flat feet??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 02:55 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Doing so many exercises on my toes really bothers me and causes more foot ache than anything, but I feel there is a reason certain exercises are done this way. Has anyone tried having their heels rest on 3 lb dumbbells instead? (Kind of like how Cathe does with some of her deadlifts) Would this give the same thigh/leg benefit without the foot ache or would it be better just to do everything on flat feet??

You could try elevating your feet on something, you could wear shoes, or you could do flat feet. When I was suffering from plantar fasciitis (sp?!) I did everything flat footed AND I wore shoes. I do think flat footed work doesn't work the muscles the same way, but needs must! Are you new to barre and/or barefoot exercise? If so, you might find your feet become stronger and you no longer need to modify.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 05:15 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Flat-footed with straight feet that are *slightly* less than hip-bone width apart was a modification that Judy Mooser used to use sometimes.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 06:27 PM  
JezthePuff2

I'm glad this question is being asked. I had bunion surgery on my right foot, and my joint is fused so I'm nervous about being on my toes like that. I'll be getting surgery on my other foot next January, so I'm sure I'll have a lot less flexibility. I'd like to do barre, but I think I'm going to have to do it flat footed or with very little lift.

Any feedback is appreciated.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-18, 12:32 PM  
Marisa

I do mostly Barre3 classes and the instructors always cue that you can modify by staying flat footed. I always see quite a few people doing this so I think it’s really common to feel that type of foot discomfort.

https://support.barre3.com/customer/...s-feel-better-
Marisa is offline   Reply With Quote