Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-18, 06:30 PM  
Betty Boop

I like Prime, especially for the free movies. And I think I'm going to switch to No-Rush shipping, which gives me a discount or promotional reward towards a future purchase.
Old 05-30-18, 12:11 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Good idea to switch to no-rush when possible.
Old 05-30-18, 02:36 PM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
I like Prime, especially for the free movies. And I think I'm going to switch to No-Rush shipping, which gives me a discount or promotional reward towards a future purchase.
You could just get regular shipping and not need the discount because you're saving the $120 per year.
Old 05-30-18, 02:40 PM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Funny, I mostly think of it as my cable alternative. We cancelled cable 2, maybe 3 years ago. We pay for Amazon Prime, Sling, and Netflix and it still saves a ton of money every month over the local cable company. The free shipping is just an added perk, IMO.

So yeah, we'll be keeping it. $20/year is less than $2 a month which still keeps us way under what cable would cost.
It's $120 a year, that's $20 a month, not $2 a month. Unless I totally misunderstood you.
Old 05-30-18, 03:01 PM  
antbuko

I think Pratima meant a $2 increase per month. I calculated $9.99 a month, which really isn't bad for a monthly subscription, but really not even. I do feel there should be more perks to Prime membership though.
Old 06-02-18, 12:24 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Plus, with Prime you get a 6 month digital unlimited access subscription to the Washington Post free, then it is $3.99 a month. We are news junkies so we pay for that, plus also pay $15 for unlimited digital access to the New York Times.
Old 06-02-18, 12:46 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

There are a few ways that you can make Prime pay for itself, such as by using No Rush shipping enough times or using the Amazon store card to get the extra 2% rewards ( it is 5% back for Prime members and 3% for non-Prime members, so it’s an extra 2% back).

To me, it’s a question of doing the math to see if it’s worth it.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 08:54 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Amazon is trying to get people to pay an extra monthly fee for unlimited streaming music, and has removed a lot of the Amazon Prime songs from my music library. Amazon also will remove or has removed people’s music uploads to Amazon music because it doesn’t want to pay for the cloud storage. Discovering that many of the Prime songs are no longer available without paying an extra monthly fee infuriated me. I definitely will not keep Amazon Prime.

I spent hours last weekend transferring my Amazon music to iTunes and an external hard drive, because I fear it is all going to be removed by Amazon, if they stop cloud storage completely. I am now worried about my Amazon movie purchases, if they stop cloud storage and require an extra monthly fee to stream movies (it’s only a matter of time).

I have found better bargains at other websites and have received free and fast shipping, so don’t view Amazon’s shipping to be any better than any of the other online retailers.

I am going to feel great when renewal time comes and I cancel.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 01:37 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
It's $120 a year, that's $20 a month, not $2 a month. Unless I totally misunderstood you.
You did--I meant that the INCREASE is less than an extra $2/month. Old price of $99/year meant $8.25/month. New price of $119/year means $9.92/month.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 01:43 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Antbuko got what I meant!

I was re-reading though and wanted to mention, they have offered some extra perks lately. I saw last week you could go to a showing of Hotel Transylvania 3 two weeks before it comes out. Of course, I just happened to see it when I went to Amazon (there was no email notification as far as I know) so of course it was sold out by then. And it doesn't save me money but was kind of a cool perk.

I've also noticed they sometimes offer lower prices on items to Prime members.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon prime