Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-18, 09:17 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Arrow Running and Walking May Be Good for Your Back

Running and Walking May Be Good for Your Back

Do you think this is good advice?

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 10:42 PM  
Vantreesta

I have a desk job and fight with anterior pelvic tilt. I walk my dogs three times a day for 1 - 1 1/2 hours total. But I can honestly say my back feels best when I'm running regularly.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 07:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I think it would depend on how bad your back is and what your personal back problems are.

For me it can aggravate it and I have to stop and find a deep stretching spot. A good weight training workout at the gym is my best friend - and Classical Stretch.

There cannot be a back pain discussion at VF without mention of Classical Stretch.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 10:31 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I

There cannot be a back pain discussion at VF without mention of Classical Stretch.
Which is always interesting to me bc the CS episodes I did actually hurt my back. More proof that every body is different!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 01:50 PM  
dbclark44

Up until 3 years ago, I used to get steroid injections into my spine for pain management associated with spinal stenosis. I took up walking 3 years ago and haven't had an injection since. With regular stretching and walking, the movement has helped ease my pain and more days than not, I am pain free. So I totally agree with this article. I cannot run though. The jarring motion causes me excruciating pain that takes me a week to get over. But I can walk without any issues whatsoever.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 11:24 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I have a desk job and fight with anterior pelvic tilt. I walk my dogs three times a day for 1 - 1 1/2 hours total. But I can honestly say my back feels best when I'm running regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
Up until 3 years ago, I used to get steroid injections into my spine for pain management associated with spinal stenosis. I took up walking 3 years ago and haven't had an injection since. With regular stretching and walking, the movement has helped ease my pain and more days than not, I am pain free. So I totally agree with this article. I cannot run though. The jarring motion causes me excruciating pain that takes me a week to get over. But I can walk without any issues whatsoever.
I think the studies and your experiences might go along with "If you don't use it, you lose it."

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

Old 05-18-18, 11:27 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I think it would depend on how bad your back is and what your personal back problems are.

For me it can aggravate it and I have to stop and find a deep stretching spot. A good weight training workout at the gym is my best friend - and Classical Stretch.

Definitely. As the article says, If running makes your back hurt, don't do it.

I never have tried Classical Stretch. Maybe I'll be persuaded sometime.

Old 05-19-18, 01:47 AM  
videofit

Years ago when I injured my back and couldn't work out and was too broke to see my chiro, I took daily walks of two to three miles a day. I stood up tall and held in my abdomen to support my back, which eventually resulted in a smaller waist. My back felt better afterward which I believe was due to 'jiggling' it which relaxed the sore muscles. Being outside in the sun (vitamin D) elevated my mood and I was able to burn off the extra calories from stress eating. I was stressed because I couldn't work out!
Old 05-19-18, 06:40 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am dealing with a strained hip muscle right now. I had x-rays yesterday and found out that I have mild Arthritis in my spine, and moderate Arthritis in my left hip. The only cardio I am doing is walking, elliptical and Leslie workouts, some Jessica Smith also. For strength, I am only doing Pilates and upper body weight work. I like Classical Stretch, but it caused my hip/back pain to be worse when I was done with the workout. I am also doing Mimi Solare's Deep Stretch Legs & Hips segment every day. This has already helped my pain to almost go away completely. I just feel the muscles releasing when I do it, and it feels great!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote