Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-18, 11:16 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Why don't you want to go to the doctor?
Due to my schedule and family situation, getting to the dentist, or a mammogram done, or even a haircut is a challenge, so my preference is to fix this at home if possible.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 11:20 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
Due to my schedule and family situation, getting to the dentist, or a mammogram done, or even a haircut is a challenge, so my preference is to fix this at home if possible.
I understand all that! Still, it sounds like at this point it might require less of your time to go than to keep trying to fix it on your own.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 01:03 PM  
severin817

Foam rolling and hamstring stretches have made a huge difference for me. I teach cardio and strength training classes and I was always terrible about stretching. I found that my hamstrings and glute muscle on my right was so tight it would put strain on my low back and I was repeatedly straining it. Quite a few times I would strain it to the point of not being to stand up straight for days.

I went to a lecture at a fitness conference last year and attended a fascia class. So interesting! Apparently most people are foam rolling too fast and not spending enough time working through the adhesions that occur in the fascia.

I foam roll (slowly) on my hamstrings, gluten, hips and quadriceps every night while watching tv with my family. So much better!

I hope it gets better for you! I totally understand how frustrating it is. I was worried I was going to have to give up teaching but I'm not ready to do that yet

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 06:34 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Thank you Laura, I had not thought of foam rolling, I think I am going to investigate that! I really feel a difference in my back when I am stretching my hamstrings, so I think there is a tightness there, on one side more than the other.

Thank you again for all your thoughtful replies. I won't respond to each individually but I am reading them all! This forum is the best.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 07:38 PM  
videofit

A pull up bar in my doorway where I do a dead hang or knee lifts to work my abs has saved me a fortune in chiro fees. Bonus is toning my shoulders and upper chest and back.
Old 05-18-18, 10:33 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

barre 3 works for me whenever I get lower back tweaks.
I think my quads and hamstrings and hip flexors get tight and Barre 3 clears it up. My go to Barre 3 is anything led by Sadie Lincoln.