Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-18, 11:13 AM  
RENEETX

Hi Ladies:

Avid reader (well, listener - audio books) here. I lurk but decided I will join you all. I do not read anything too terribly deep, just not my style.

I have read The Great Alone. Yes, it was a bit depressing, but I was fascinated by what I learned about Alaska. That alone was worth the read to me. This was only the Kristin Hannah book I have read other than The Nightingale, which was fabulous in my opinion.

I absolutely love Elin Hilderbrand books. I have listened to all of them. Light, fluffy sometimes, and very easy to listen to while doing other tasks. She has a new one coming out in a few weeks. I personally can't wait. As a mention, all of her books take place on Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard - my dream location.

I also did read The Woman in the Window. It was a bit slow for me, but was glad I stuck with it. Lies she Told was similar. Another in that vein was Behind her Eyes - wow on that one!

Have a great day!
RENEETX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 11:14 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Yes it is! I'm not quite halfway through. I'm generally enjoying it, although it shifts back and forth in time, which is one of my novel pet peeves.
Thanks for the info, I'll seek it out.

The whole time shifting thing can be a bit of a crutch, so I hope this one is well done in the end.

Happy reading!
Old 05-16-18, 11:26 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEETX View Post
Avid reader (well, listener - audio books) here. I lurk but decided I will join you all. I do not read anything too terribly deep, just not my style.
Glad you posted! Most of my reading isn't very deep either; since I am doing it for fun, I generally like to keep it light. Occasionally I will read a more challenging novel or interesting non-fiction.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 02:33 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEETX View Post
Hi Ladies:

Have a great day!
Hi there!

I've been enjoying audio books lately too! I take them on my walks. Somehow I walk longer if I want to hear more of the story. Music just gets boring after a while if I'm not motivated to keep moving.

I've been a big re-reader this year. There's a lot going on in my life and my brain finds it very much easier to relax with something familiar.

I've read most of Forrester's Hornblower series and most of Charles Finch's Charles Lenox series in the past few months.

Just lately I'm restless, though, and keep jumping around from book to book. Mostly it means I do more cooking in my free time, which is a good thing.
Old 05-17-18, 10:52 AM  
isebelleg44

Anyone read the Crazy Rich Asian series? I am looking for a fun read and this has a lot of buzz. Looks like there is a film being released.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 07:27 PM  
videofit

Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends by Peter Schweitzer. Bipartisan!
Old 05-17-18, 10:13 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Anyone read the Crazy Rich Asian series? I am looking for a fun read and this has a lot of buzz. Looks like there is a film being released.
This sounds good, but the audible narrator got a lot of bad reviews.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 03:48 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Glad you posted! Most of my reading isn't very deep either; since I am doing it for fun, I generally like to keep it light. Occasionally I will read a more challenging novel or interesting non-fiction.
Me too, my Reading is my "TV" time since I watch very little TV.

I'm reading two books now -

The History of Bees - Maja Lunde - it is good, I like the writing, but I am about half-way through and not sure where it is going. It is simultaneously telling 3 stories, which I imagine are connected somewhere - they are all connected by bees - but I am thinking there is a deeper connection?

I'm also reading something by Dorothea Benton Frank - I never read anything by her before - it is light - sort of like watching LifeTIme TV. I actually don't recall the title. But it is the one I'm picking up when I am too tired to focus, LOL. It is making me want to go to SC, however - since that is where her books take place.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 05:29 AM  
Carol K

This will be summer reading, but I just saw that my favorite contemporary writer, Anne Tyler, is coming out with a new book Clock Dance in July.
Old 05-18-18, 05:40 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, Carol. I like Anne Tyler, too. I haven't read anything from her in a long time -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading