Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-18, 11:55 PM  
videofit

First aid for banged pinky toe?

I was walking barefoot in the dark and caught my little toe on the edge of a padded ottoman. It pulled the toe outward so I know it's not broken but it hurts like hell. If I went to the doc tomorrow (if I could even get in on short notice) what would they do? I'm guessing they'd tape it to the toe next to it to immobilize. Anything else? I found some paper tape in the medicine chest so taped the two toes together and found a bit of ribbon to tie over the tape (not tightly). Walking around is no fun. Hoping good night's sleep will either fix it or make it swell more. Rather not make a trip to the doc if I can help it.

Your experiences?
Old 04-23-18, 08:14 AM  
donnamp

hi,
It may not be a bad idea to get it checked out. Last year my DD hurt her pinky finger while riding her horse in a lesson - we weren't sure if it was broken or not, and waited until the following day to go to the dr. We weren't expecting it to be broken, but it turned out she had a very small fracture. There was nothing really they could do but immobilize it, but it was probably good to know the nature of the injury so as not to inadvertently make it worse. So, if nothing else, going to the dr. to confirm that it is not broken (or find out if it is) - is probably worth it so you know the best way to deal with it and not inadvertently do anything to make it worse.

I hope it feels better.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 08:39 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I broke a pinky toe years ago. Nothing to do except tape it and wear shoes.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 09:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

When I have foot pain of any kind I soak my feet in epsom salts. For arthritis I use hot water and for bangs and strains I use cool water. It helps with the inflammation.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 01:51 PM  
antbuko

I broke mine pinky toe and it actually had to be set by the doctor, but after that, buddy tape it until it heals.
Old 04-23-18, 02:16 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I broke a pinky toe years ago. Nothing to do except tape it and wear shoes.
It was swollen underneath the two outer toes last night. Today that swelling is gone, only at bottom of pinky toe -- can't see the rest of my toe as it's tape to neighboring toe. There is a faint bruise on top of the foot above those two toes. Pain isn't too bad, fortunately.

I'm wearing a loose pair of leather ballet flats because I couldn't put other shoes on without hurting my toe. Thank goodness I have upper body strength to lean on furniture as I maneuver. And I can still work out if I stick to floor work, my fave for lower body anyway.

"Time heals all wounds" but I'm not known for patience!

Thanks guys. I'm sure this thread will help someone else -- just don't walk around in the dark!
Old 04-24-18, 06:20 AM  
horsemom2

Arnica Gel

Arnical Gel applied immediately to an injury stops most pain and helps healing.

It may still help the pain but is most effective when applied immediately after an injury.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 07:10 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

My DD broke her pinky toe a year and a half ago. I don't remember exact details but it wasn't healing and I think she even re-broke it by walking so she was put in a walking boot that she had to wear 24/7,even while sleeping, putting no weight on the foot at all for maybe 4 weeks? So sometimes there is more to it then just buddy taping it.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 01:53 PM  
videofit

Swelling is down more today though still bruised. Still buddy taping. Went out for the first time for a quick errand. Fortunately it's my left foot so didn't impact driving.

I normally stand at my computer so now I kneel with that leg on a chair.

I found a video where the chiro said if there is still soreness in a few weeks it could be due to injured ligament forming scar tissue. Massaging across the joint will help. So I will keep that info in the back of my mind.

Weather is so beautiful that it's frustrating to stay inside. If I had a bike I'd go riding.

The only DVD I'm doing is Margaret's Getting Better for obvious reasons! She's having a massive sale to get rid of all her inventory so take advantage. You never know when you'll need it.

https://www.bodyelectrictv.com/produ...-stretching-4/
Old 04-26-18, 08:35 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

$19.95 doesn't seem like a massive sale to me. Am I looking in the wrong place?

A discount is applied at checkout and then shipping is $6; but I bought it. Had it years ago in VHS.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote