Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-16, 12:19 PM  
seww

Knee replacement

Has anyone had a knee replacement? If so what was your experience working out after recovery?
Looks like I'm headed that direction.....I tore my ACL and had it surgically repaired in 1993. It never limited me in any activities until this past year.
I had an MRI a couple of months ago and it shows that I once again have a complete tear. That along with no cartilage under my knee cap is causing pain, swelling and limiting my impact activities.
My orthopedist says I the next step is a total knee replacement. I am still continuing with workouts but have had to take it down some. I do have physical therapy appointments in a couple of weeks. I don't want to have the surgery sooner than needed but don't want to be hobbling before either.
What has been your experience?
Thanks,
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 07:35 PM  
bfit

I have not had a knee replacement, but I have four different friends who have. They all had replacements because of arthritis in the knee. Their experiences were widely varied. One person sailed right through ahead of the rehab schedule and is very happy. At the other extreme another person had to have the procedure redone because it still wasn't right after a year from the surgery. Another person took much longer to recover than typical but now she's happy with it. The last person had a non-replacement knee surgery that didn't help and then had knee replacement that she's happy with. My friends have all told me that the recovery and rehab is long (much longer than with hip replacement), and it can get frustrating. I've also been told that it really takes a year for full recovery. My impression is that it's definitely a major procedure, and I don't think it would hurt to get a second opinion before doing it.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 07:48 PM  
baba

I think a second opinion is always warranted with stuff like this. My friend has EDS and just had a knee replacement done at age 40. This is her sixth orthopedic surgery and her hardest she says. Recovery has been slow and painful. Her other knee is a mess also but her doctor cautioned her to try and hold off on knee replacement for that one because stem cell research is about to take off for that area.

On the other hand, my mother had both her knees replaced about 8 years ago at the age of 72. She sailed through recovery and did awesome. But she is not one to sit on the floor and go on her knees either. But she does tap dance.
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 11:06 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Here's a thread from earlier this year with some people's experiences:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=215297
Old 09-01-16, 07:55 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Here's a thread from earlier this year with some people's experiences:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=215297
I started that earlier thread. I had total knee replacement surgery on my right knee due to osteoarthritis on July 14th so I'm about seven weeks out from surgery. My movement and ability to exercise had been severely restricted for two years before surgery so I'm happy to be on the improving side now instead of still in a downward slide. I was able to walk a mile each morning this past weekend so progress, though I'm still in some pain and still undergoing physical therapy. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
Old 09-01-16, 01:34 PM  
ardnas

My mom had both of her knees replaced. She had no cartilage under her knee caps, cortisone shots were no longer working, and she was in pain often, had difficulty bending & walking with her left leg. She did the first one last year and the 2nd one this year, in June. She was extremely hesitant and scared to have them done - kept saying she heard all these horror stories. She finally did it because she couldn't ignore the pain anymore. Medicare paid for most of it so they required her to stay in the hospital for 3 days, then be transferred to a nursing home for 2 weeks (she could have opted for a live in nurse to stay with her). She had 6 weeks of PT afterward. They said she was the poster child for knee surgery - she was walking the next day, had little pain (only took a pain pill once on the 2nd knee because they worked her hard in PT, otherwise other than an IV w/ pain meds day of/day after surgery, she never took any pain pills even though they gave her 2 weeks worth), was able to exceed expectations in PT. She was worried about being able to drive afterward, but she was able to drive 4 or 5 days after being home. She is happy to have them done and said she wishes she would have done it earlier, because she can walk pain free now. She had no issues or complications, no infections, and they both healed well can barely see scars. She had to walk with a walker for 2 weeks, but at home she was walking without within a day or two. She said with this last one she finds she tires faster when walking, but is able to walk & exercise without any pain.
Old 09-01-16, 06:07 PM  
pfhanna

I had mine done 3 years ago. I was terrified and even took anti anxiety because I was so worried. I didn't have a choice, my knee was turning inward (can't remember medical term) and terrible arthritis. The rehab was not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be. I think it helped because I did do pre surgery exercises and pushed myself when I felt like I wanted to stop. I was so happy with my new knee and was wishing I had it done sooner. I had a highly recommended dr. and choose the minimal invasive total knee replacement. I can walk, do my exercises, play pickleball, and no one would ever know I had it done. They keep making progress with this surgery, a good doctor, and hospital and you shouldn't have any troubles. Good luck!!
Old 09-01-16, 07:38 PM  
seww

Thank you so much for the experiences shared. I tried doing a search but nothing came up.
Certainly it's a lot to think about and I will get a second or third opinion.
I think I have some time to research this but don't want to put it off.
Thanks Again!
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-16, 09:20 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Also check out bonesmart.org. Some great resources there.
Old 09-02-16, 08:18 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I'm reading this thread with interest because my husband will be having his right knee done later this month and the other a few months later if all goes as planned. Thanks everyone for your input.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joint replacement, knee replacement, knee surgery