Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-15, 12:09 PM  
lingo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Yes, Holly seemed okay. They all have such huge egos, though. It cracked me up when they said that someone was the top trainer in NYC or wanted to be the top trainer in NYC. NYC has so many trainers that there is no such thing as the top trainer. Some of them may be known and popular at particular gyms, but every actor that I know is also a personal trainer, and many are excellent.

The thing about individual personal training is that it is not glamorous at all, no matter where you train someone. Giving group classes is much more fun and like performing. When you train someone alone, you have to be really dedicated to wanting to help that person, so if these trainers truly want to help others, then great. Unfortunately, these people seemed to only want to score big name clients, like the guy who met with Miss USA, in order to boost their business and ego.

The show focused on Layla, and she is a hot mess. The guy who wears designer clothes, shoes and watches made me want to turn off the TV, too. I watched the show to give it a try, and I am sad that I can never get that hour back .
This is true It definitely focused more on drama and personal life with some ego scenarios, Layla was annoying and the other two girls didnt have a presence. As for the group fitness vs personal training aspect, I can see how there a difference between trainers who want to help versus those who seek a name and good reputation, living in NYC definitely has a cost and I can see why some go that route. While some do provide a good homeostatical balance.

Hopefully it balances out because I was honestly excited for the New York version because fitness whether it be PT, Group, GYM, Boutique, Sidewalk running, biking, Boxes, etc, is huge here. I wanted to see if they would feature any of it and have the trainers represent a certain platform and get more people who dont exercise to want to try these new forms. If not, it will get cancelled in the middle of the season and/or not renewed for a second season.

Too bad it was a bit sensationalized and lost the initial charm it could have had.

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 01:27 PM  
jenn38

I watched it but I'm kind of BRAVO junkie. It's my guilty pleasure along with General Hospital.

Holly was the only person I found able to like. Everyone was else very catty. Layla especially. I may watch it again but I don't think it's DVR worthy.
Old 12-09-15, 01:36 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Is it just me, or are these the most narcissistic, unlikable people Bravo could find on the entire island of Manhattan, with the possible exception of Holly? Wowza I recall hearing about this show months ago, but the premiere ended up being delayed from fall 'til now without any explanation.

I have a weird compulsion to try a Flywheel class now, though!
It is NOT just you. OMG these people were the worst. With the exception of Holly who teaches the FlyWheel class. She seemed cool.

The rest were eye-rolling-ly over-acting and being drama queens for no reason. That Courtney dude and the curly haired (Latino?) woman, Layla, being the worst of the bunch. Girlfriend, yes, you've got a great physique, but is it really necessary to walk around in your underwear when the cameras are there?

This show actually made me miss the original Workout show. Jackie was a narcissist, but I found her slightly more interesting than this current batch of try-hards. (And RIP Greg, who was on the original show and who died this past year)

Quote:
I think the LA based one was on E!, it was pretty awful, the drama and scenarios were too set up and no one was likable.
Nope the original one was also on Bravo.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 01:56 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I did like the fly wheel lady come to think of it. She seemed like the only genuine one. In the brief bit I saw, the underwear lady's mother comes to visit and she seemed to be a real case, too.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 02:01 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think I'm going to write Bravo and tell them how I feel. Not that it will change anything, but it's important to register an opinion!
Old 12-09-15, 03:47 PM  
pricek

Holly needs her own show.
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 05:01 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I didn't watch but now you guys have me reconsidering whether I'll even both. Holly has been posting quite a few short workouts on YouTube lately. I was excited that she was on this show but now maybe not.....
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 05:20 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricek View Post
Holly needs her own show.
This, 1000%! I ended up catching some of it, had it on in the background while I was getting dinner together. It was a lot of what I expected it to be (in a bad way), but she was the one shining light in the whole thing.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 05:23 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post

Nope the original one was also on Bravo.
Yup, you're right! OK, so it just is the East Coast version of that awfulness, got it
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 11:59 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Bravo doesn't care if you write and tell them you hate a show. Everyone hated the first season of Manzo'd with Children, but they renewed it for another season. I watched some of season 1, but thought it was awful. I am curious to see the next season of the NJ Housewives, though.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bravo, new york, reality shows, tv show, work out