Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 05-29-18, 03:14 PM  
manleym

Cross Trainer

I'm looking for recommendations for a good cross training shoe for strength, metabolic, HIIT, low impact, step.

I wear Mizuno Wave Riders for running. I have a small foot, and the Mizuno's feet my heel really well.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-18, 08:38 PM  
cyana

I'm bummed that you haven't gotten any responses. My crosstrainers came over on the Mayflower (only a slight exaggeration, LOL!) and I've not had much success in replacing my old Rykas crosstrainers They were great shoes.

I haven't worn Mizunos in years, but the pair I had fit my medium width foot with high arches and narrow heels very well. My all-time soulmate running shoe was the Adidas Supernova 6 , and they changed the fit after that, so I've switched back and forth between Asics and Brooks.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 09:36 AM  
laurajhawk

I wear Salomon trail runners for everything. That's kinda weird, you wouldn't think they would be great laterally, and I'm not big on HIIT or step, so YMMV but they are great for Jessicas as well as weights, rebounding, etc. The extra ankle support of the trail runners is what makes it work for me.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 12:29 PM  
manleym

Thank you both for the responses. I was hoping for more suggestions too, but maybe the question is too broad - so many factors and everyone's preferences are so different.

I wound up with Nike Free TR 7. I do alot of HIIT, metabolic, step, strength, circuit - so I wanted a shoe that could do various activities. I've used them a few times and they seem ok, but I had to exchange sizes, which never happens for me since I wear a size 5 on a good day in normal shoes. I didn't like how the size 5's felt on my toes - not roomy enough for me. So I exchanged them for a 5 1/2. I don't like my toes touching my shoes. I like a roomy toe box. I've only worked out in them once but am hoping they will give me extra toe room.

Laurajhawk, I never thought about trail runners. Thanks for the idea. I like the idea of extra ankle support. Alot of these minimalist shoes don't provide a whole lot of support, especially for the ankles.

Cyana, I may be converting to Brooks from Mizuno. Never thought it would happen, but I found a pair of Brooks Launch 4's on clearance for $35 and thought I'd give them a try. They are so comfortable! I have a pair of Ghost 8's and they are super comfie, but were a little too heavy for me to use for running, so I wore the Ghosts' as an everyday shoe. I like a lighter trainer.
The Launch seem to be lighter than the Ghost but with decent cushioning. I'm also exploring the Revel.

Which model do you wear? I told my husband I kinda feel like I'm cheating on Mizuno, but it may be time for me to change.
Old 07-01-18, 05:47 PM  
cyana

I posted a response earlier in the week and apparently it didn't save.

I'm glad you found some shoes. I've always found Nike to run a tad on the smaller side, but haven't had a pair of Nike's in years. That was a great deal on the Launch 4's! Hope they work out for you.

I have the Brooks Ghost 9 and Asics GT-2000. They're both OK, definitely not soul-mates. I'm not running right now, so they're used for walking. I do a lot of interval-type walking with lots of hills.

Old 07-02-18, 01:31 PM  
manleym

Thanks for the reply Cyana!

I have a pair of Ghost 6, and just bought a pair of Ghost 8 (for $4.98!!!!) I use them for everyday, don't really like them for a running shoe.

My running days may be slowing down. I turned 50 this year and I'm noticing my joints aching more often. In fact, as I'm typing this, I just finished icing my knees and am now icing my feet after a run this morning.
Old 07-03-18, 05:54 AM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
My running days may be slowing down. I turned 50 this year and I'm noticing my joints aching more often. .
Unfortunately, I can relate to the aching joints!

Tags
cross trainers, crosstrainers