Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-14, 08:05 AM  
desie

I forgot the most obvious, but it does use one piece of equipment: kettlebell swings!
http://litealloy.com/workouts/726
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 09:21 AM  
koolio

I've spent the whole morning reviewing, reading reviews and generally trying to get sneak peaks of video content, usually on youtube and other streaming sites.

Rather annoyingly the best I've found are always missing something or nearly perfect but not quite. The best so far being Gymabstics month 4, it really has exactly what I'm after both floor work and standing work (except for the lack of full squats) and just so little of it!...and really has to be something with no weights or equipment.

I think I may start with Balls of Steel and then go on to incorporate leg raises (so standing one leg locked, while the other one raises from 45 degrees to horizontal front, side and back) as well lunges and squats..

So so far the best of what I've looked at:

P90 - Plyo legs - Great but I cannot bear the instructor, if he just shut up this would deal with all my squat requirements. There is no gymnastic or extension orientated work Perhaps playing it on mute?

Tom Holland Supreme 90 days Legs - Not bad, but weights and balls a little like the P90 above.

Kathy Smith Functionally Fit Lower Body Firming - Ok but I don't want to be functionally fit!

8 minute buns - not too bad... covers the basics.. not much in terms of gymnastic conditioning i.e. the leg raises I mentioned before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnW7bbkV6Q

BBX Hardcore - Didn't like the look of this one bit.

Hip and thigh makeover by Joey Atlas - Not bad but seems like a low rep rehabilitation program also the 2nd part needs the use of a big ball.

Bodystrikes 2 - way to complex like a complex kicking routine, although it is clearly good, I just want simplicity! Also Ilaria terrifies me (she would literally snap me like a twig)..

Buns of steel Greg - great for what it says on the tin, it is lacking squats and lunges, the floor work is great although it does lack gymnastics/ballet orientated leg extensions. I also feel really sorry for the overweight lady in pink and grey at the back of the video who clearly is suffering. Greg is hilarious although there is something really dodgy about him! I think I'll be going with this first.

Killer butt by Dolores Munroe - I found this to be quite simple but not bad at all, covers mostly everything. Although it has a fairly long warm up and warm down period.

I looked at others, like the Firm series, Michelle Olson, Ballet fitness etc. but for one reason or another, either too polished production, weights or just terrible I did not look at them further. I like a dry and rough production that tells me just do x amount, now do this..

The trouble is I have quite a lot on everyday and really don't want to motivate to exercise, really need it all on a plate! Gymabstics month 4 was so nearly perfect!

I've yet to properly look at Gilad, Tonique by Sylwia (which looks very good, she is lean as hell), Suzanne Bowen's Barre Amped and Strong strides (which looks like it could be the answer).

So many videos, so little time, so much confusion!!
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 09:40 AM  
alisoncooks

VF is full of knowledgeable and helpful home exercisers, male and female. That said, assuming you are not a troll, you will find VFers loathe to assist you, should you continue to voice such trite rubbish:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I have seen this woman, she terrifies me, because she is so attractive but far too ripped! If she was my lady friend I would confine her to the hallways of pilates and yoga!!

I also feel really sorry for the fatty in pink and grey at the back of the video, Greg is hilarious although there is something really dodgy about him! I think I'll be going with this first.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 09:51 AM  
Cafelattee

Quote:
I have seen this woman, she terrifies me, because she is so attractive but far too ripped! If she was my lady friend I would confine her to the hallways of pilates and yoga!!

I've spent the whole morning reviewing, reading reviews and generally trying to get sneak peaks of video content, usually on youtube and other streaming sites.

Rather annoyingly the best I've found are always missing something or nearly perfect but not quite. The best so far being Gymabstics month 4, it really has exactly what I'm after both floor work and standing work (except for the lack of full squats) and just so little of it!...and really has to be something with no weights or equipment.

I think I may start with Balls of Steel and then go on to incorporate leg raises (so standing one leg locked, while the other one raises from 45 degrees to horizontal front, side and back) as well lunges and squats..

So so far the best of what I've looked at:

P90 - Plyo legs - Great but I cannot bear the instructor, if he just shut up this would deal with all my squat requirements. There is no gymnastic or extension orientated work Perhaps playing it on mute?

Tom Holland Supreme 90 days Legs - Not bad, but weights and balls a little like the P90 above.

Kathy Smith Functionally Fit Lower Body Firming - Ok but I don't want to be functionally fit!

8 minute buns - not too bad... covers the basics.. not much in terms of gymnastic conditioning i.e. the leg raises I mentioned before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnW7bbkV6Q

BBX Hardcore - Didn't like the look of this one bit.

Hip and thigh makeover by Joey Atlas - Not bad but seems like a low rep rehabilitation program also the 2nd part needs the use of a big ball.

Bodystrikes 2 - way to complex like a complex kicking routine, although it is clearly good, I just want simplicity! Also Ilaria terrifies me (she would literally snap me like a twig)..

Buns of steel Greg - great for what it says on the tin, it is lacking squats and lunges, the floor work is great although it does lack gymnastics/ballet orientated leg extensions. I also feel really sorry for the fatty in pink and grey at the back of the video, Greg is hilarious although there is something really dodgy about him! I think I'll be going with this first.

Killer butt by Dolores Munroe - I found this to be quite simple but not bad at all, covers mostly everything. Although it has a fairly long warm up and warm down period.

I looked at others, like the Firm series, Michelle Olson, Ballet fitness etc. but for one reason or another, either too polished production, weights or just terrible I did not look at them further. I like a dry and rough production that tells me just do x amount, now do this..

The trouble is I have quite a lot on everyday and really don't want to motivate to exercise, really need it all on a plate! Gymabstics month 4 was so nearly perfect!

I've yet to properly look at Gilad, Tonique by Sylwia (which looks very good, she is lean as hell), Suzanne Bowen's Barre Amped and Strong strides (which looks like it could be the answer).

So many videos, so little time, so much confusion!!
Not a DVD but free youtube uses a exercise ball and books or something to do calf raises. This is one of the many workouts my dh uses when he has long stay hotel time. (he spends about 6 months out of the year in a hotel) He does heavy weight the other half of the year but uses body weight workouts to maintain definition like 300 elevated push ups with his legs up on a coffee table. LOL which at 51 still looks pretty impressive to me. He hates lower body work he is all about upper body mass but he makes himself do the workout.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/work...ut-Weights/98/
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 10:03 AM  
desie

Leg lifts? Maybe you should also look at Tracy Effinger Squeeze dvds. She did 3 dvds. Squeeze Stronger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDGIu...bJJ7knky0AqvkQ was my favourite, but there is a shorter dvd that is all standing leg lifts called Squeeze Lower Body Challenge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I3hPwDQxQ

Also, perhaps you can just pause gymabstics month 4 at the end of each exercise and play your own music and do the number of reps you want, or play it twice?
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 10:06 AM  
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
VF is full of knowledgeable and helpful home exercisers, male and female. That said, assuming you are not a troll, you will find VFers loathe to assist you, should you continue to spew such trite rubbish:
Well my apologies for offending you, on reflection maybe I wrote those comments in a little bit of a harsh manner.

I will try to keep my opinions to myself in future. Although I genuinely felt sorry for the girl in pink, overweight struggling and in a fitness video, can't see how that would have been healthy for her.

Quote:
Not a DVD but free youtube uses a exercise ball and books or something to do calf raises. This is one of the many workouts my dh uses when he has long stay hotel time. (he spends about 6 months out of the year in a hotel) He does heavy weight the other half of the year but uses body weight workouts to maintain definition like 300 elevated push ups with his legs up on a coffee table. LOL which at 51 still looks pretty impressive to me. He hates lower body work he is all about upper body mass but he makes himself do the workout.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/work...ut-Weights/98/
Ah yes I forgot about these, I've seen them on youtube. Yes there is some not bad content, the one you posted is not bad at all..

Quote:
Also, perhaps you can just pause gymabstics month 4 at the end of each exercise and play your own music and do the number of reps you want, or play it twice?
Well what I've actually been doing is continuing squats etc. after the month 4 workout has finished, but it would be great to have a program that does it all rather than having to swap DVDs or whatever..
Old 10-08-14, 10:15 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Well my apologies for stepping on your toes, although I did mean exactly what I wrote.

In the first instance, she is tremendously muscular, it doesn't look healthy on a woman like I'd say Sylwia from Tonique does or the lady in strong strides. It strikes me as border line or fanatic about fitness.

In the second instance, you have a fitness video and someone who is clearly over weight, out of shape and suffering for it, I am not a fatist, but it seemed bloody harsh to throw someone in the deep end like that..

I will try to keep my opinions to myself in future

Koolio, you have every right to your opinions, but one of the rules of the board is that we do not comment on our perceived physical failings of the dvd instructors/background exercisers.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 10:23 AM  
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Koolio, you have every right to your opinions, but one of the rules of the board is that we do not comment on our perceived physical failings of the dvd instructors/background exercisers.
I was just editing it while you commented. very well I will keep my trap closed.. I have edited the original and removed the offending comments. Sorry if I offended anyone... My comments were all in jest, other than the one about the lady in pink which was genuine sorrow.
Old 10-08-14, 10:39 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
+1

Many a discussion thread here has been (rightfully) shut down because it was being used to talk about people's bodies in damaging ways.

The pressure to conform to particular (impossible) physical standards is immense, and everywhere.

I visit VF because the focus is on the workouts, not passing judgement on aspects of someone's physique, or critiquing their (imagined) character flaws.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 10:41 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
I was just editing it while you commented. very well I will keep my trap closed.. I have edited the original and removed the offending comments. Sorry if I offended anyone... My comments were all in jest, other than the one about the lady in pink which was genuine sorrow.
I want to add that I've enjoyed this thread you started, and I followed your quest for the perfect glute/thigh workout with interest. I'm benefitting because you're on the board and contributing.

I genuinely believe you would like Teresa Tapp's Lower Body Tempo workout, but she will sell that only after you've learned her Basic workout (which also works the glutes & thighs, just not in a focused manner).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote