Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-14, 10:16 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I know and do apologise!

Well I came down with man flu, so no exercise for me!

I have been checking out Sylwia Wiesenbergs Tonique stuff as recommended by Helen S (thank you btw). I must say I'm impressed by her (Sylwia is an amazing woman dropping a high salary white collar job in finance for fitness), and I realise that her workouts mixing cardio with reps is indeed correct for weight loss and toning (I remember a lot of this in amateur gymnastics when I was younger).

So when I get better I think I'm going to start with downloading her Tonique premier and see where it goes (I've got buns of steel also in the pipeline).

It won't be the first time I've come across excellence regarding physical conditioning originating in Poland, the last one was Thomas Kurz's book Stretching scientifically, truly the bible for side splits and flexibility, I spent 2 years and one injury trying to achieve the full side splits, after reading that book it only took me 2 months to hit the floor!
Besides the free stuff that desie mentioned, you might want to download her $2.99 workouts. I would first recommend the two sculpt workouts since they are more basic. Then I would get the two cardio sculpt downloads. $2.99 is cheap and they give a good taste of her workouts. You probably don't want the cardio one since you wanted low impact.

I ignore the Orbitz girl in the Premier DVD. I just do the workout. I recommended that DVD because it's mostly squats and lunges. She does do side leg raises which you wanted. You do so many squats and lunges that you will get a cardio effect. Her newer workouts have more fancier moves so that's why I would start with this DVD and her two sculpt downloads. I haven't watched her free stuff because I tried one of them and got frustrated since my Kindle froze during the wo. I should have downloaded them before they were removed.

BTW, I agree about the Thomas Kurz book. I also bought it to improve on my middle split.

Also don't let Sylwia's sweet demeanor fool you. She is a machine. She doesn't look tough like Ilaria but I can tell you that her workouts are tougher than the first BodyStrike DVD which I do have.
Old 10-10-14, 02:10 PM  
koolio

Helen can I ask is there any floor work in Tonique Premier?
koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 02:37 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Helen can I ask is there any floor work in Tonique Premier?
Yes, there is 17 minutes of it at the very end. Some of it includes plank cardio like mountain climbers. I really don't care for this section and just skip it except for the plank cardio at the beginning. The only floorwork that I like is in Tracy Anderson's Omni/Abcentric Continuity series since it's unique.

Here is a link with the breakdown. This is a great site to check out other Tonique and fitness clips.

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/TON...BERG-p/798.htm
Old 10-10-14, 02:45 PM  
koolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
Yes, there is 17 minutes of it at the very end. Some of it includes plank cardio like mountain climbers. I really don't care for this section and just skip it except for the plank cardio at the beginning. The only floorwork that I like is in Tracy Anderson's Omni/Abcentric Continuity series since it's unique.

Here is a link with the breakdown. This is a great site to check out other Tonique and fitness clips.

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/TON...BERG-p/798.htm
Thanks for showing me that link, just one last question about the floor work does it include a lot of the floor work exercises found for example in "buns of steel"? So glute extensions etc.?

What was it you didn't like about it?
Old 10-10-14, 02:53 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for showing me that link, just one last question about the floor work does it include a lot of the floor work exercises found for example in "buns of steel"? So glute extensions etc.?

What was it you didn't like about it?
I think it does but I haven't done that section in a long time. Maybe, the clip will show you some of the exercises or another VFer can answer this question. I know that there were some glute bridges. I just don't really like traditional floorwork. I prefer standing leg work. That's why I only really like TA's floorwork in Omni/Abcentric because she does a lot of balance challenge work on all fours (except usually one or two limbs are lifting at the same time) or moves that you would see in gymnastics/martial arts. I just didn't recommend it because I like TA for abs and it seemed like you already had that covered with Gymabstic.

ETA - Here are VF reviews of Tonique Premier. You will notice Acescholar wrote all the exercises including the Mat section. Also, this reminded me that TotalFitness did not list the time for the Opening Drill section which is at the beginning of the workout. There is also a separate warm-up/cool-down section.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=3329
Old 10-25-14, 01:02 PM  
koolio

I only just got over man flu a couple of days ago!

Anyway yesterday I tried Tonique Premier.. oh my she really kicked my derriere, I only managed 20 minutes. It is incredibly endurance based!! I am really unfit with regards to cardio especially mixed with endurance. I could see Tonique was laughing at my weakness from the other side of the screen so I called it a day. My only gripe is it is quite jumpy or stompy and there is no warm up at all! (also the stretching at the end is a little too much for me)

Today I did Gymabstics month 2 followed by Buns of Steel, no problems with Gymabstics 2, but my God buns of steel, while I just about completed it I think I worked muscles around my glutes that I've never worked in my life!

Buns of steel is great for exactly what it says i.e. toning, but I get the feeling that a lot of the movements are not practical from a Gymanstics perspective where leg extensions should be at the extremities of movement and alternatively held.

Tonique Premier definitely more the fat burner and heavily endurance based. I'm going to alternate the two, so tomorrow back to getting my rear handed to me by Tonique in Premier. I also got the Tonique mat which I liked the look of so I'll be trying that sometime next week. Can't wait!

I realise that eventually I'm going to start having to write my own programming as I progress to intermediate Gymnastics floor work, so I'll be alternating lower and core cardio, with upper body and combination strength exercises.

I've been wanting to do it for a while, but programming is hard and also requires you have a guinea pig (i.e. unfit test subject) to compare progress!

All the videos I've done so far are great but there is not one that ticks all my boxes! I am a picky fairy!
Old 10-25-14, 01:58 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I know that the people who do Tonique a lot say it's the easiest, but I personally think it's a sweat fest. It definitely is a tough workout!
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 03:41 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
I only just got over man flu a couple of days ago!

Anyway yesterday I tried Tonique Premier.. oh my she really kicked my derriere, I only managed 20 minutes. It is incredibly endurance based!! I am really unfit with regards to cardio especially mixed with endurance. I could see Tonique was laughing at my weakness from the other side of the screen so I called it a day. My only gripe is it is quite jumpy or stompy and there is no warm up at all! (also the stretching at the end is a little too much for me)
The first part is the drill section which is high impact. Once you get to the squats, lunges, and mat sections, they are not as jumpy. Sylwia's newer workouts do have more ab work in them.
Old 10-25-14, 04:28 PM  
desie

koolio, I don't have a workout suggestion, but for gymnastics skills, it is fun to watch the instructional clips that Carl Paoli puts out on gymnasticswod.com
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 05:18 PM  
juberann

My best lower body results consistantly come from any of the TaeBo lower body workouts, NOTHING gives me results like Billy especially when using the bands. Rockin Buns from the AMPED series is insane fun and I see almost instant results..........the lower body add-ons from BootCamp or BootCamp Elite are also excellent.