Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-14, 02:31 AM  
Libby

Fitness after Meniscectomy

I had a Meniscectomy yesterday. I'm in my 50's. My doc said that squats and lunges are bad for my knees and all the cardio with twisting and turning is also not good. I LOVE high impact exercises but I'm thinking that they are probably not going to be an option for me anymore. My doc suggested biking and swimming which both are not going to be much of an option for me because of where we live. Can't do either daily close to home.

He said I'm not bone on bone yet. Before the surgery I had switched over from Cathe to lots of Classical Stretch and Margaret Richard's workouts. I actually LOVE doing those also. But I miss getting my heartrate up and sweating. My doc said a stationary bike would be a good option but the only place in our house for one would be where my treadmill is. He said the treadmill was okay too.

For those of you who have had this surgery, how did you change your lifestyle long term and what exercises have you found beneficial and what did you do to get your heartrate up? What exercises have you decided that you can't do anymore?

My doc felt that I was in very good shape and knew how to take care of my knee that he said I really didn't need physical therapy. But I'm wondering if one session with a PT would help answer a lot of these questions. I guess that depends on how good the PT is.

I have to wear the suppression stockings for about 10 days till I see the doc again. I know others wear these things after surgery but I never really notice anyone wearing them. I can't wear pants because it's too hot and I am already burning up with these stockings on.

I would love to hear any advice/tips you can give me and about your experiences with this surgery. Thanks!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 11:58 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

I certainly do not know what you are dealing with, but I think the PT session is a good idea. I find PTs to be a bit more positive and realistic than doctors sometimes. A PT might be able to give you more ideas as to what you can do. Or the other side of the coin is that the PT will confirm what the doctor has told you and you will have no doubt. Hey you're in good shape. That's great!
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 12:09 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

My meniscectomy was about 12 yrs ago and I went bone on bone within 3 months after it. I had 2 or 3 PT sessions. What your dr. told you is what the PT told me. Squats, lunges, twisting and turning and pivots are all bad if you want to keep your knees. I would add jumping and maybe running as being bad but you'd have to be the judge for what you can do.

I wore those stockings after the knee replacement. Wearing shorts and stockings were good enough with snow on the ground. I have thermal underwear that aren't as warm as those stockings. I feel for ya!

Hang in there and behave and you'll be good as new in a few weeks.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 01:10 PM  
Libby

Linda

Why were you bone-on-bone in three months? Did you do a lot of high impact exercises? Did you have to have a total knee replacement later on?
Old 10-25-14, 01:58 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Why were you bone-on-bone in three months? Did you do a lot of high impact exercises? Did you have to have a total knee replacement later on?
No high impact for me. I was in a checkout line at the grocery store waiting for groceries to be bagged. The woman behind me kept pushing me with her cart trying to hurry me up. I couldn't move forward so she slammed me, I lost my balance and it went bone on bone. I grabbed my husbands shirt and I still don't know how I walked out of that store the pain was so bad. Because I'm stubborn and didn't want more surgery it was almost 4 years until I got it replaced. That's when I found out the first surgeon took 2/3 of the meniscus. With that much gone it didn't take much to go bone on bone. Find out how much meniscus was removed. It matters. It will give you a hint of how careful you should be. I was careful but couldn't stop that woman that day. Now, if dh is pushing the cart I take my cane whether I need it or not. Anyone that gets close to me in a store will get hit.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 08:59 AM  
Libby

Linda

Wow! Did that lady apologize or do anything to help you? That's unbelievable that someone could be so rude/hateful. Although nothing really surprises me anymore. So sorry that happened to you. I have a lot of questions for the doctor when I see him. I can't remember much of what he said as I was still waking up from anesthesia. My hubby was there but it's hard to remember all they tell you. Take care of yourself.

Tags
knee surgery, meniscectomy