Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-27-20, 04:41 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Yesterday, I was going to come here and say, today was one of those days. But then I thought about Hurricane Laura and how the people in her path would trade problems with me in a hot minute. So I didn't. (And apparently didn't even come here to check in.)

Today was worse. Way worse.

My brother called me around lunchtime and said Mom had fallen in the backyard. I'm not sure what happened. He was in front of her and didn't see it. He thinks she stepped on the side of the walk and went sideways. She landed with her head in a bush. He got her to a chair and called 911. The EMT said he didn't think anything was broken, just a bruised bone. But DB said he'd never seen her in that kind of pain. Because of COVID, I didn't go to the ER to meet them. I knew they would only allow one person with her, so I stayed home.

She broke her hip.

They are preparing her for surgery right now. The doctor is doing another surgery ahead of hers. It maybe be ten before she gets back to her room. Because of COVID, she will only be allowed one designated visitor who can see her between two and six, and between ten and two on the weekend. We chose me because I'm the only one who doesn't work.

I'm worried about the surgery (of course) but I'm more worried about what we will do with her when she leaves the hospital. It would be easier for me if she came here, but no matter where we put her, she either won't be that close to a bathroom or she'll be on the other end of the house where I couldn't hear her at night. I'm sure she'd rather be home. But that will be hard on me. I had been doing so well with my eating, and I'm not sure I can drag all my food, the blender, etc., to her house. And I will have to sleep on her couch.

It has been almost a year to the day that she fell last year. I had been doing well with my diet then, too. I'd lost some weight (I don't weigh so I don't know how much) but when she was hospitalized and then took two months to fully recover, I let my diet slip while worrying about taking care of her.

And my favorite part? The yahoo I dealt with last year with my shoulder is the one doing the surgery. I was hoping I'd never have to see his ugly mug again. So much for that wish.

Good thoughts and prayers appreciated.
Old 08-27-20, 08:57 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga With Adriene was Yoga for Core and Booty. We went to the boat, we took the boat out for a while and enjoyed the sea breeze.

Beth, so good to see you. Glad you had a nice birthday. Sorry about DH's grandma. I've heard many survivors of COVID are left with on going problems. Enjoy your time away at the cabin. Is your DS returning to college? So many colleges here are going to video instruction only.

Anita, hope your PT visit went well and you weren't yelled at. Yes, fresh food is always tastier than the frozen stuff. That being said, simple and easy, is well, simple and easy.

Laura, I'm glad you're getting so many one on one tutorials. So sorry your DH is having so much pain. It must be frustrating to find a medication that helps with pain but the side effect is fatigue.

DeeDee, I am so sorry to hear about your mother! Oh what a mess. One thing at a time, I'll cross my fingers the surgery goes well. Recovery is often the hardest part.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-20, 08:40 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I did't get a confirmation call for PT yesterday, so called them and they hadn't scheduled me . I am confirmed for going on Monday. I am continuing to feel better - did a nice long walk with my walker (about 6 blocks), then did two more walks just using my cane (4 blocks and 2 blocks) - not bad! I did do my PT exercises three times yesterday also. We had a curfew at 8 pm, so a bit shorter walk in the evening. I'm hoping our town stays somewhat quiet and not the riots in Minneapolis.

Laura, I hope your DH feels better soon! My friend likes to come with me on my walks - I don't mind. I've not gone for a solo walk yet. I think I could do a small loop at Gus's park - same as what I was doing before the surgery. It's been interesting to see what's developed in my neighborhood - haven't been doing neighborhood walks with Gus in years! Lots of home improvements and new gardens!

Dede, I'm so sorry for your mom's hip I hope all goes well with her surgery today and that you'll be comfortable taking care of her. There are portable potties that might work better for her in her room rather than a long hallway to a bathroom. I pray all goes well for her!

Paula, glad you were able to enjoy your sea breeze on your boat. Sounds like you're incorporating both aspects of boating and flying in your life .

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-20, 11:12 AM  
sciencelady

I went with my friends to the park to walk Gus - did a small loop to their double big loop - same as what I was doing before surgery. I did the small loop at about a normal walking pace, not the 6" per step I was doing before surgery and lots less pain! I feel the muscles that were cut for the surgery, but nothing in the joint, nor am I having any balance issues in the joint. I'll be doing two more walks today also, so lots more walking than before surgery. What a difference!
Old 08-28-20, 02:23 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I may never eat again. We picked up food from the Chinese food restaurant we all like so much and took it over to Mom and Dad's. And then we had cheesecake for dessert (except for DH who had a GF cupcake). It was all so very good, and we had a good time with my parents.

Before all that, DH and I went on a walk this morning and I did strength work with the band and I did lunges like I saw Kathy Smith do in a recent workout "around the clock". DH has had the best day he's had in a while which was nice given what we had planned.

Dede - I'm so sorry for your mom and the broken hip. As part of the process, can you talk to the occupational therapists for suggestions? Maybe they would have some ideas of how to make it all work?

Anita - Woo hoo! Great job. Isn't it great to no longer have that grinding pain? You are doing so well. Keep at it! Did Gus enjoy having you back at the dog park?

Paula - It's good you have the options with the boat and the plane. They were always good, but during this shutdown, it has to be such a blessing to be able to get away without traveling. it is frusstrating with DH's medications. The doctor's office today called today with an alternative. DH thinks he may have done it before, but we'll see.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-20, 07:54 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Karen Voight's Get Firm Fast followed by my PT stretches.

Anita, so glad to hear you're up and walking, walking, walking. You're doing really well. It's good your friend likes to walk with you - better safe than sorry.

Laura, sounds like a really good meal, if you're going to die of over eating, best to die happy. Glad your DH is feeling better. Yes, the boat and plane are good distractions for both the pandemic and DH's on going health issues.
Old 08-29-20, 09:04 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on another walk with Gus - another friend may join us also. I'm trying to decide if I can do a big loop or just stick with a small loop. I did a good walk with the one yesterday in a park (same one I used to do small loop with Gus before the surgery), went grocery shopping with the cane, and did a small neighborhood walk. Three episodes of PT exercises during the day also.

Laura, your meal sounds delicious ,but you will eat again . If Gus and I are doing two different routes, I try not to let him know I'm there or he'll try to be with me .

Paula, I hope your DH finds some relief with the drugs.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
Old 08-29-20, 02:05 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Well, today is the day the remnants of Hurricane Laura are supposed to move through here, mainly this afternoon. So far, we've just had a few spritzes and sprinkles, not much at all. DH and I went on a walk this morning, but I haven't done a workout yet. My hip and lower back are bothering me. I should have gone to the chiropractor this past week, but couldn't get the timing down. I cooked Italian sausages for myself for lunch and I'm trying to get some done on the computer. I had printing issues and got that fixed.

This week, DH asked me if we could send out some homemade Christmas cards this year, so I started making some. If I make them a few at a time, we can have some number of them by the end of November.

Anita - Yeah, you were right. I did eat again. It sounds like the exercise and PT is your job these days. Good job keeping up with it.

Paula - I laughed and agreed - If you're going to die of overeating, die happy.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-20, 08:34 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Now workout this morning, at least not yet. Today was grocery shopping and some meal prep and general chores day. I got alot done but none of it very interesting. I've been watching some YouTube videos on decluttering paper and have gotten inspired to get rid of a lot of old stuff. I went through some old files and started pulling stuff. One was the file of warranties and related stuff. Turned out we still had warranty documentation on applicances and items we no longer own, lol. Also went through some financial files and noticed we had documents from many years ago, also for accounts we no longer have. I guess we can shred them now! It's easy to become a pack rat, isn't it? So my task for the week will be to do a little shredding each day until the pile is gone.

Anita, I would think it's better to do the small loop multiple times than maybe try the big loop and get too tired or feel pain. DH had his pre-surgery COVID test this morning - said it was better than the last time. They no longer go as far into the nasal passage as the last time. Good idea not to let Gus know if you're taking a different walking route.

Laura, hope you are staying dry. Homemade Christmas cards are a gift in and of themselves. guess you and I both did some cooking today. I roasted enough veggies for two dinners so tomorrow night's dinner is already made.