Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-20, 03:25 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I just finished a step workout with Kat Gates-Buettner (YouTube). Her routines are great, but I just can't see them that well on my little phone. And since I was working out in an 82-degree room, I had both fans blasting and couldn't hear well either. It's frustrating. I think I'd love to tackle her advanced workouts if I could only see them well enough to follow along. I also did day 9 of the 30-day Qi Gong Challenge. And I'm thrilled to report that PHA2 didn't destroy my knee yesterday. I don't know if that's because I'm staying off the bike or not doing lower body workouts with squats and lunges or both. At any rate, I'll take it.

Anita, I saw a picture of a couple of bats today and was surprised to see that they're kind of cute. So I guess no news is good news concerning the test? I've heard someone is trying to roll out cheaper saliva tests. I hope they do and I hope they work. I'm not sure I'd like a brain biopsy.

I hope everyone is well. Have a great evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bats 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	4706  
Old 08-18-20, 05:47 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I didn't sleep well last night, and I was tired all day. But it wasn't a bad day. I had a tutoring session on PowerPoint in person this morning, and I went to Trader Joe's on the way home. This afternoon just sort of got away from me and I didn't get much done other than laundry. DH and I did go for a walk this morning and I did around 20 minutes of a circuit workout on YouTube.

Anita - Sorry that I snorted at your comment that the test felt like a brain biopsy. Sorry it was so painful or uncomfortable or whatever the word is. Amazon should not have won that lawsuit since the small store was there first. That's ridiculous!

Dede - I have one sibling, a younger brother, and we're less than 3 years apart, so we played together a lot. He had a treehouse in the back yard that he tried to declare was boys only. Ha!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 08:53 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Strong Women/Strong Bones followed by Karen Voight's Yoga Stretch. Another scorcher today. We went to the boat for a few hours to catch the sea breeze.

DeeDee, to answer your question on whether my DH has pain with the kidney stones the answer is yes and no. When the stones are moving (as they should) he has pain, sometimes sharp bad pain and sometimes just achy. When the stones are imbeded in the kidney, they fester and cause inflamtion which causes the temperature and feeling sick overall but is not the immediate pain of when they are moving. Pancakes are filling which is why a usually one eat one or two, but I love them especially if they have fruit in them, like blueberries or bananas. Don't you have a laptop you can watch YouTube videos on? Bats can be cute.

Anita, hope you enjoyed the Farmer's Market. Too bad your bookstore couldn't afford good attorneys to fight bad against the big bad Amazon. On the COVID test, DH got his result the next day. He agrees it feels like a brain biopsy.

Laura, So glad your online business seems to be picking up. Love it. There were four kids in my family - I am #2. We played together all the time, we were, and are, close. Too bad they live near you rather than near me. I told them I wouldn't be coming out this year for a visit - just don't want to get on an airplane right now.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 07:46 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on going to the park to have my friends walk Gus - I do the little loop and end at about the same time as them. Otherwise just a quiet day - I should hear from the clinic as to what time my surgery will be. No call so far on positive nasal results.

Dede, glad you were able to have a workout without pain yesterday! The bats I work with are kind of cute. I admire how they learn to eat the mealworms and survive. Ours have pretty plain faces - not a lot of wrinkles. I still wear gloves when working with them, but they don't attack us when we try to feed them and give them fresh water (only exception is if they have rabies ).

Laura, I didn't have a very good sleep last night - sigh... Maybe a nap this afternoon?

Paula, are they trying to get the stones to pulverize with shock waves to the kidneys? Hope surgery isn't needed to get them out. I didn't buy anything at the farmer's market, but my friends sure did - she made squash flower soup yesterday for lunch . I've got one brother - not extremely close, but we try to tolerate each other. Right now they are big Trump supporters. I did contact him by email to let him know he might get a phone call after my surgery or if something goes wrong as he's my #1 contact on the health care directive, but not heard anything back from him.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 05:17 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today I did Lift It Hit It Chest, Triceps and Shoulders, premix 6. I also did day ten of Qi Gong 30-day challenge and workout two from Tai Chi Fit To Go.

Anita, I'm not sleeping well at all. I had to lie back down this morning. My head was so groggy I couldn't function. As Beth would say, two sleeps until your surgery.

Paula, I hope your DH isn't in too much pain. I've heard kidney stones can be a bear. DH has an old laptop but it acts all wonky.

Laura, most of the time, DB and I got along okay. Other times, well......

Everyone have a good evening.
Old 08-19-20, 06:04 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I went to sleep last night and slept like a rock - until 3:30 that is. I did take a 1.5 hour nap and that helped. I didn't get out for a walk this morning, but I did do a longer workout than usual, most of KCM's BoxFit, the Box Sculpt premix (or whatever that premix on the main menu is). I really enjoyed it. Some boxing combos took me a couple of times to get, but they flowed for me and seemed different from other workouts.

With my brother living in Japan, we aren't very close these days, although we're in contact and get along when we're around each other, mostly. He's verbally scornful of anyone of faith, although he seems to do okay with Muslims, Hindus, etc. I guess if you're the son of a pastor, you save most of your scorn and sarcasm for the tradition you grew up in. That puts a wall between us in some ways. But he has been great about coming home for visits over the years and creating time for the kids to spend with us.

Dede - Sleeplessness seems to be catching this week. I hope we both get a good sleep tonight. It might not solve all the problems, but it certainly can't hurt!

Anita - I hope the last details, like the time, fall into place easily. And, hopefully, you'll be part of the sleep convention tonight...

Paula - I don't blame you at all for not getting on a plane this year. Maybe things will be better next year. I hope the trip to the water helped with the sweltering temps.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-19-20, 08:26 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga With Adriene - Gentle Yoga. I had lots of chores which kept me busy all morning. I did manage to make a big casserole while it was cool so we have dinner covered for a few nights.

Anita, I hope you've heard the result of your COVID test by now. No, the doc will not try to pulverize DH's kidney stones. It seems there are two types of kidney stones, one will respond to that treatment the other will not. He has the type that will not pulverize. I think that may be a good thing as my sister had the other kind and after the pulverization treatment all the little shards inbedded in her kidney and she got a massive infection. In took her months to get rid of infection and she was very uncomfortable all that time. Of course she was told, "this almost never happens, yada, yada, yada". I am not unhappy DH's doc doesn't want to try that. So yes, he will have a "procedure", a surgery to the rest of us.

DeeDee, I feel your pain on not sleeping well. The heat makes it impossible to sleep some nights. When that happens I'm tired and groggy all the next day. DH has intermittent pain with the kidney stones, but thus far the pain has been manageable

Laura, it is hard to stay close with family when they live so far away isn't it? It's funny that our mother was very religious but none of us are. My younger sister was for a while but that ended when her pastor came to her home to tell her she should return to her abusive husband because he was a good Christian man, wasn't in the least interested in what type of husband and father he was. That was the end of church for her, but she remained a believer and we gave her a Christian funeral.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 08:11 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I have to be at the clinic at 9 am tomorrow! Mix of happy and nervous at this time. No food or drinks after 11 pm, which shouldn't be bad. Two showers with the disinfectant - one tonight and one tomorrow. Need to pack up all my stuff - I'll likely not stay overnight, but will have stuff with me if I do. I was told to wear sweats and put on these pressure knee highs 20 out of 24 hours after the surgery - of course the weather is warming up to humid upper 80's also . Here comes the AC!

Today I made an appointment for Gus to get his nails trimmed this morning and we'll take him for a walk afterwards. Otherwise doing lots of laundry to wash all my bedding and clothing. Tonight Gus won't be able to sleep with me - I'm sure he'll be confused .

Dede, I'm not sleeping well either - used to taking my OTC sleep aid (basically Benadryl). At least it's not nightmares or anything like that.

Laura, huh, I thought your brother was a missionary in Japan, but guess not if he's not into his faith. My favorite pastor from my high school and college days has retired and left his faith also - what's going on in organized churches isn't necessarily the Christian roots of faith, lots more focus on money. My mother didn't want a church service funeral, so no one involved in getting her ashes buried other than us.

Paula, I assume I'm Covid negative as I've got a surgical date and time established now. I hope your husband's procedure gets all those stones out of his kidney without leaving it looking like Swiss cheese! Hope he gets good drugs for pain!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 02:05 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I worked out early this morning. DH had an endo appointment at 9:45, and it was already 77 degrees in the workout room by 7 a.m. It was actually cooler outside. Anyway, I did workout two from KCM's Super Sculpt. And day 11 of Qi Gong 30 day challenge.

Anita, I didn't realize you could have replacement surgery and not stay overnight. I guess that's a good thing, though. I just never thought of something like that as outpatient surgery. Thinking good thoughts for you (and for Gus and his confusion).

Laura, I'm sorry about the faith issues with your brother. My brothers aren't religious but they aren't scornful either. I haven't checked out any of KCM premixes. The only workout I haven't done is the boxing one.

Paula, I'm glad your DH's pain has been manageable.

Have a great evening.
Old 08-20-20, 07:05 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had an in-person training session this morning at 10:00. I went for a walk before I left and figured I would work out after lunch. DH was in too much pain to walk this morning, but wanted to go this afternoon, so I figured it could count as a workout. Between the two walks, I covered the entire neighborhood.

I slept much better last night but I'm still tired tonight. Tomorrow should be less busy. We get haircuts! Yay!

Anita - Yay. Just think about how much pain you are NOT going to have after the surgery. My brother went to Japan to teach math courses on U.S. military bases around Tokyo. He took after his mother in what he's good at and his career. (She was a high-school math teacher most of my childhood.)

Paula - **Sigh** My father - a pastor - had a couple of serious conversations with me while I was in college about what I should do if I ever ended up with someone who turned out to be abusive. He stressed - made me promise that that I would get away from him first thing. He said that we could work out the relationship, but get away from him physically first. I can remember him standing up for women in churches we were in who were abused or abandoned by their husbands. So, I don't have much patience with pastors like your sister's. Yeah, it is hard to stay close to family members when they are so far away. It's especially hard when they are in such a different culture. Maybe after this is all over you could come out and spend a longer amount of time.

Dede - I want to try the sculpting one, too. With KCM workouts, I tend to go straight to the premixes and on some of them I've never done the main workouts.

Laura's Workout Mantras: