Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-20, 07:03 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - I Had a Playroom Growing Up. It Was Called OUTSIDE. 8/16

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-20, 07:21 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good morning. We're having a lazy morning here. The sun is supposed to come out this afternoon with temps in the 80s, so maybe we'll go on a walk later. I got work done on a blog post yesterday and need to finish it and start a second one. I also got another request for training from an unemployed administrative assistant who wants to get better at project management. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I think I can probably help her.

Dede - Yeah, I'll probably have to modify quite a bit, but I'm used to doing that with KCM anyway. It's sad that we've had to get used to things being out of stock so much in the "new normal".

Paula - I weigh regularly to keep track of my weight. If I don't, it's so easy for me to not notice/deny weight gain. Getting a scale that gives that extra data makes sense and would hopefully give you the data you need.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-16-20, 08:41 AM  
sciencelady

Thanks for getting us started, Laura!

Gus had a good walk with my friends yesterday and will again today. I putzed around a little bit in the garden picking up sticks from the storm - luckily nothing big on my yard! We went out for dinner last night - had Chilean Sea bass - my favorite!

Today will be another relaxing cool day - I already made my breakfast so won't be joining them, but they have pancakes planned. I'll do more putzing around here. I get to start a nasal disinfectant for my surgery, yet need to go in tomorrow for my Covid test - seems a bit ridiculous to me as my nose will be pretty germless...

Laura, sorry about that back pain - hope it goes away! I get it every once in a while if my arthritic back snags somewhere between vertebrae. Ouch!

Dede, yes, I totally understand what your DH does in the pharmacy - that was kind of how the pharmacist that was in our vet school hospital worked . I stopped by my local pharmacy and got the medicine that the clinic forgot to order for me. I asked them what languages their signs got translated into (three languages - none Spanish) right above their counters - they couldn't tell me . I assume one is Somali and another Hmong, but the third? Weird. All three were with English alphabet letters with squiggly additions above the letters.

Paula, yeah, this period was a SURPRISE! - came a week early, but I'll be happy if it's done by surgery instead of showing up directly during or after surgery. I'm glad my friend really enjoys cooking! As a gluten-free person, I'm glad she's got the talent to make delicious alternatives for herself and us. I normally get up around 7 am. My alarm was only used on WRC mornings. I'm glad Gus is a sleeper in-er - all my previous dogs were partiers at the first crack of dawn!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-20, 01:24 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

We are all paying for the monopoly we have allowed Amazon to become. They can't get anything right these days, and they no longer try to make it right. Their favorite phrase now is, sorry for the inconvenience.

I placed an order for two things last Saturday. One was in stock and supposed to be here Friday. The other wasn't in stock. I got a package Friday, but it was the latter item. But when I track it, it says it's at the local hub now and didn't arrive there until yesterday. The other item hasn't shipped.

When I ordered that item, I only needed one, but it wasn't in stock. However, I could get a package of multiples shipped right away. It wasn't too expensive, so that's what I chose. Now, the single is available. So I ordered it and began a cancelation of the multi-pack. Right after, I got an email telling me it was too late to cancel it because it's getting ready to ship. Really? It's literally ready to ship but won't be here until Thursday when I'm supposed to get two-day shipping? My options are to refuse it or return it.

If this was a small company, I would let it all slide. Too many companies will fold because of this pandemic. But this is Amazon, owned by one of the richest men in the world. I know all the people working there aren't him, but it still bothers me. If you can't fulfill the terms of service, you need to do something. They certainly had no problem charging me for Prime when it came around for renewal in April. I hate to think how long it would take for things to arrive if I didn't have Prime!

I am trying to do google searches to find things elsewhere. I'm trying to throw some business elsewhere to help other companies. But there is so much I literally can't find anywhere else. I think many companies have given up trying to sell things on their own and are giving their stock to Amazon to sell.

Rats. I was hoping my rant would make me feel better. Nah, it didn't.

Anita, it is odd that the pharmacy staff didn't know which languages are on their signs. Did you always get up at seven, or is that just since you retired? DS graduated fifteen years ago but I still wake up at five. Kind of like someone who spent their life in the military.

Ah, Laura, you picked one of my favorite quotes. I didn't always play outside. I was a serious bookworm and spent all my days reading. One day, Mom insisted I go outside and play with my brother and the neighbor kids. I was so mad; I didn't want to do it. By the end of the day, I was hooked. I continued to read a lot, but not so much in the summer. I learned how to ride a bike and practically lived on it. I learned how to ride with no hands and even while standing on the seat! Just like my cheerleading days - I spent hours working on cartwheels (I could do them without hands too) and splits. Now I get tired just running errands. Youth is wasted on the young.

I plan to do day seven of the Qi Gong challenge. I loved day six yesterday. We did a lot of hand waving. Sounds boring or stupid, but it's quite relaxing.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 08-16-20, 08:10 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout today. We got groceries and otherwise had a lazy day around the house.

Laura, thanks for getting us started. It was another hot day again today. I don't think we got to 100 degrees but it was definately mid 90's. Sounds like you got alot done today - good for you, I surely didn't. I have to modify many of the workouts I do too. I hope your back pain is gone.

Anita, so were you able to resist the pancakes? When DH had the COVID test they swabbed both nostrils and did a throat swab too, so if it's there, I think they will pick it up regardless of the nasal disinfectant. A cool day sounds inviting right now, we haven't had a cool day for a long time and we are unlikely to have one this week. I tend to wake up at 5:30 whether I want to or not. My dogs always seemed to adapt to our schedule to a degree. Our last dog would get up and go into her bed in our bedroom every evening at precisely 9 p.m., it was uncanny. Hpe this surprise period ends before you have to show up at the hospital.

Deedee, I feel your pain with Amazon. I have Prime too and suddenly two day shipping is no longer the standard. But, as you say, the fee for Prime hasn't been refunded - not even an apology. Guess I should have known your DH worked in a hospital, you probably told us that before. Personally I would prefer that to working in a drug store pharmacy and having to deal with the public. I loved books and the outside when I was a kid. Of course we had a long cold winter, so books and board games were our fun. Summer we were outside working and playing all the time - except when I was down with allergies that is.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 07:55 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on going to get my Covid-19 test done at a specific clinic - hopefully results will be ready by Friday. I am doing the nasal drug - no idea if it affects the virus levels (kills strep in my nose). My friend and I will also be hitting a grocery store in the area - should have some gluten-free stuff there! A Gus walk will happen today also.

Dede, sorry about your Amazon frustrations. I've kind of avoided buying from Amazon as much as possible. My favorite women's bookstore here was called Amazon, for many years before the big Amazon company existed. Of course the bookstore was sued over the name by Amazon - they are out of business now. When I worked, I'd get up around 6 am - so glad to get that extra hour in now - very rare use of alarms! Cool you had so many bike tricks!

Paula, I didn't have the pancakes my friends made for breakfast yesterday - already had my shake made - today was chocolate protein, almond milk, flax seeds, kale, and frozen berries blended together. Gus tells me when he's ready for bed in the evening also - usually around 9 pm.

Anita
Old 08-17-20, 06:52 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

My back is better. It's almost like something "caught" in my back and worked itself out as the day progressed. I went on a short walk this morning and then did band strength work. I spent much of the day working on a blog post on auto fill and flash fill. They are functionality which is simple, but which offer more options than it would seem at first. I'm almost done. One more topic to do.

Paula - I'm sorry it's so hot. We had that pattern for several weeks and it got old quick. I hope it cools down and that the fires don't affect you. I modify almost all workouts. I think I don't even notice when I do it anymore. The only instructor for whom that hasn't been true recently is Gina B and her walking workouts.

Anita - I hope the test goes smoothly and the results come in quickly. Good luck finding gluten-free stuff at the grocery store.

Dede - I was a total bookworm. Still am. I never could argue when I have been called a bookworm. I went out and played because it was required, but I'd read as much as I could. Most of my grade school years we lived in Miami, so it was optimal to get outside. And there were a lot of kids in the neighborhood, so it was usually easy to find someone to play with. I was a total tomboy when playing. When playing inside, I never got into Barbie. I much preferred to play with my brother's matchbox cars.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-17-20, 08:21 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Leslie Sansone's Pilates You Can Do both the Mat and Challenge sections followed by Yoga with Adriene, Fundamentals of Ease.

DH now has a date for his in office produre for kidney stones, it is scheduled for September 1st, he has to have another COVID test three days ahead.

Anita, you're a stronger person than I if you can turn down pancakes for a breakfast shake no matter how good. I am sorry about your bookstore - what whould it have hurt the big Amazon to allow a stand alone bookstore in MN to have the same name?

Laura, glad yoou were able to work out the kink in your back. I tried Gina B and I guess I need to stick with Leslie. About five minutes in she was going way too fast for me my hip was all ready hurting. I liked her though, she has an upbeat personality.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 09:00 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today I did Step Boss bonus abs 2, PHA2, and Qi Gong 30-day Challenge, day 8.

Paula, does your DH not have pain with the kidney stones? I didn't realize one could wait that long for a procedure. I could have easily passed on the pancakes. They are too filling for me.

Laura, I don't know that I was a tomboy, but having a twin brother did mean we played together a lot. We would make stuff up using my Barbies and his G.I. Joes. We also had western dolls, Johnny and Jane West. We also had a Little Joe Cartright doll. All of those had joints that pinched my fingers. I kind of wish I still had them. But Mom always made us throw or give everything away. She's not a hoarder like me. I'm glad your back is better.

Anita, how did the COVID test go? I am trying to avoid Amazon now, but I swear, they own all the merchandise in the country. Or at least it feels that way. Today I received an item I'd already received on Friday. I tried to do a live chat, but I was talking with someone from India. (I have nothing against them, but their English isn't good and it makes communication difficult.) He ended up telling me I could just keep the extra item this one time. It's a one-time exception. Really? I didn't ask if I could keep it, I asked what you wanted me to do with it. I didn't have to contact you at all. He made it sound as if he was doing me some huge favor. And that item I couldn't cancel? They are overnighting it; it will be here tomorrow. I didn't ask them to do that. And seeing as I tried to cancel, I'm not impressed anyway.

Our temps are staying in the 80s. I think it's supposed to get humid, though.

See you all tomorrow!
Old 08-18-20, 07:55 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on going to a farmer's market with my friend, walking Gus at the park with her while I do a shorter loop, getting a hair cut and having a friend's son over for dinner.

Laura, glad your back is feeling better! Nice when vertebrae click back into place! We had lots of good luck with the gluten-free aisles at this grocery store (HyVee).

Paula, what gets me is that our MN Amazon predated the big company - they could have sued Amazon for carrying their bookstore name! Yet they came after the little bookstore .

Dede, I'll hear if the Covid test turned out positive. They did take a deep nasal sample like they are supposed to (felt almost like a brain biopsy ) - kind of bothers me to see the pure nostril swabs being taken when showing Covid test areas on TV. I never had Barbies or GI Joes - I did have some sort of plastic doll and some dollhouse components (bed, table, stove), but I loved playing with my stuffed animals. I spent most of my time making little forts out in empty fields around my house.

Anita