Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-18, 11:24 AM  
Sara1000

Walking partner invites us for wine

My DH walks with another guy who lives in our neighborhood but otherwise we have never socialized.

Now he called and invited us over for a glass of wine at 5:00 today. He said not to bring anything, but I feel a little something like a jar of flowers would be nice. We have never socialized with them other than the walking.

We don't socialize much so I'm out of touch with the etiquette of today - what do you think? Are flowers too much if it's just a casual glass of wine?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 11:25 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
My DH walks with another guy who lives in our neighborhood but otherwise we have never socialized.

Now he called and invited us over for a glass of wine at 5:00 today. He said not to bring anything, but I feel a little something like a jar of flowers would be nice. We have never socialized with them other than the walking.

We don't socialize much so I'm out of touch with the etiquette of today - what do you think? Are flowers too much if it's just a casual glass of wine?
I think flowers are never a bad idea. Enjoy!!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 11:42 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I think flowers are never a bad idea. Enjoy!!
Thank, Bee.

I tend to over think things - so then if we invite them over sometime to reciprocate, will they not feel obligate to bring something? Maybe any gift is making it seem to formal? Do people so normally invite neighbors for a drink that it's not really considered a social occasion?
Old 04-08-18, 12:25 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Hmmm. I’m guessing that a glass of wine at 5:00 will be more than wine - they will likely serve “something” with the wine - like a happy hour would. Don’t you think? I wouldn’t bring a gift per se, but possibly something for all of you to have with the wine. A small plate of cheese, summer sausage and crackers? Is there a simple appetizer that you make? Slap some jelly on a round of Brie cheese?
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 12:40 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Hmmm. I’m guessing that a glass of wine at 5:00 will be more than wine - they will likely serve “something” with the wine - like a happy hour would. Don’t you think? I wouldn’t bring a gift per se, but possibly something for all of you to have with the wine. A small plate of cheese, summer sausage and crackers? Is there a simple appetizer that you make? Slap some jelly on a round of Brie cheese?
I agree. I’d bring cheese and crackers or a small veggie or fruit tray People usually say don’t bring anything but guests bring it anyway. Have fun
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 01:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I agree. I’d bring cheese and crackers or a small veggie or fruit tray People usually say don’t bring anything but guests bring it anyway. Have fun
I like these suggestions, although I believe flowers would be better. I'm leaning toward the flowers as I think about it since you've never socialized with them before and couldn't be sure of their eating preferences. If I put myself in their place, I'm a vegetarian and a tray with summer sausage would present an awkward moment despite the good intentions, especially since you don't know these people well.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 02:04 PM  
Sara1000

I'm also leaning toward flowers since they specifically said don't bring anything - which I take to mean they've got the snacks covered.

Makes me think I should stock up on homemade jam at the farmers market as I don't make anything like that and it seems like another perfect gift when people say don't bring anything. 'Course they are rather expensive. We can get cut flowers at the super market for a few bucks.
Old 04-08-18, 02:38 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Oh. I missed the part about not bringing anything. Then I agree with picking up one of those little bunches of flowers like Target and grocery stores sell. A nice gesture.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 07:53 PM  
Sara1000

I went with the flowers. DH got some yellow and some red chrysanthemum looking flowers that made a nice bunch IMO - I took them in a plain glass jar as I read you should always bring flowers in a jar or a cheap vase so the hostess doesn't have to look around for something to put them in right away. She seemed surprised and pleased. Anyway, I felt it was a nice gesture.

I had never really met them before but we got along well - turned out she and I had graduated from the same high school a few years apart so we had some old neighborhoods etc. to reminisce about.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I felt more comfortable than I would have if I hadn't discussed it with anyone. Thanks for indulging my off topic thread! What a great group this is!
Old 04-08-18, 10:27 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Glad you had a good time and it worked out well for you!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote