Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-09-20, 04:42 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

9/8 - Another day of hiking, this time at Buttermilk Falls in Ithaca. Quite a bit of uphill on this one, a beautiful hike, but a lot less water than the last time we were here. They had the trails marked one way, but of course a few people were not following the guidelines. Overall, a good experience. The one disappointment was that we were hoping to have lunch at a spot that has a large outdoor seating area, but it didn’t open until 4. Oh well. We went kayaking for an hour in the afternoon.

Cleda - you are crushing your power zone challenge, plus getting a ton of extra work in! Glad you enjoyed your hike with your son.
Pam - more family time is great! I’m missing my mornings with the grandkids.
Helen - good to see you and your buddy working out again, it seems to help you both stay motivated.
Waves to Kay!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-20, 11:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sept 8:
~Barlates KB Core HIIT - first 15 min Until she started with planks.
~10 minute KB standing Abs
~Cardio: 20 min gliding & neighbourhood walk....9400 steps, almost made it!
~45 min of yin on my own

Sept 9:
~7 km (4.5 mile) woodsy trail walk, lots of up & down - 10,900 steps
~1 hour+ of yin

Lili - Your day sounds lovely!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 04:41 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Not as far behind as I thought!

Ok, got a new avatar up and one I'm MUCH happier with! This one is me hiking with my son on Monday. We loved it and had a great time. The place was wonderful ~ I'd been there a few years ago and was just as I remembered. (Except for the spotted lanternflies - awful. I hadn't heard of them up until this hike and then come to find out, they are everywhere. And there's a number we're supposed to call so we can report them . )

On to me, me and all (tired) me.

9/8/2020: Denis Morton's 45 minute called for Power Zone ride (end of week 3 YAY me.) It was all zone 4 except for the recoveries (which were in zone 1) I have to thank Nancy for this as she's made me do tabata and I have to admit, this was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Not easy by any means, but not the struggle it used to be. And no! I am not redoing my FTP test. I'm going to enjoy the workouts a little longer. Like Denis says: It doesn't get easier, we get stronger! So true. I then did the 5 minute Cool Down spin with Denis (Grateful Dead) and then did a Post Ride Stretch

9/9/2020: the new schedule for the upcoming week (4) had not posted yet. I was disappointed, wanted to get a PZ ride in, but decided I think I was tired, so I did 20 minutes (don't fall over) Peloton Yoga with Aditi. (From 9/8/2020 at 8:00 a.m.) Hip Openers. It counts, it was ALL I DID for this day. Go figure. Some of the poses were tough for me, but she said to modify (and I did!) and I must admit, it felt good.

That's it for now. Off to the rower and bike before work. Gotta get those rowing sessions in.

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:09 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - good for you, you listened to your body and did yoga! Love the new avatar! Maybe I should try to get a picture while we are hiking?
Pam - sounds like some good variety (as usual) and a nice hike.

9/9 - another nice hike, this one at Watkins Glen State Park. They had the trails marked one way and most people were following the guidelines. This one is a series of stairs, 800+ stairs! The last part of the trail was closed, so we didn’t do all 800, but it’s a workout! Once again, a lot less water than our Springtime visit last year, but still incredibly beautiful.
I added a 10 min. Happiness Meditation outside in the afternoon. Hubby was sore from hiking and paddling from the day before, so no kayaking.

I’m hoping to go to the Women’s Rights National Historic Park today. Due to Covid, it’s only open 2 days a week, and this is one of them. We watched part of the PBS special the other night on the Suffragettes, so it will be nice to see some of the places in person.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 05:55 AM  
Helen

LILI
I'd love to see your avatar as you! It's been a long time since it was. A trail walk would be a great background - as evidenced in Cleda's.

CLEDA
The new avatar is lovely! As are the set of pics on FB it was part of. Love the bush!!

PAM
All three of you with trail walks?!
Looks like I'd better do something similar this weekend, or be left out of the loop around here!

About me...
Wed., 9th Sep.
Knee...
Had been walking around at work with essentially with no limp. Buddy & I decided we needed cardio & opted to avoid a step workout, and went with Christi - Still Jumpin' which she'd done once before.
It was very familiar with it, did NO turns, NO twists, everything VERY moderated. Took a step backwards for mambo that I'd already done 3-4 rounds of immediately prior, and BOOM - leg just crumpled beneath me, and it hurt. Sulked the rest of the night.

Have done research & self-diagnosed as a torn meniscus, minor. Several sites have identical sets of exercises to help with it.

Done nothing since apart from 30min dog walks.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 06:15 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Helen: I am so sorry about your knee. Maybe just visit with buddy as you do the exercises you found. Heal. Don't push. But you know all that!!!! Never thought of woods as "bush". Love the way you have different sayings, etc. So neat for me to read. Please, again - take care of your knee. They do a lot for us.

Lili: I love to take take pictures for many reasons although I hate to be in them. (I know it doesn't look like it when you see posts of me. ha!) But I know how important pictures are to look back on. I LOVE doing that. I have spent hours looking at photos of Mom recently (and she hated them also!!!) So I take them. and hiking and being with my son is my happy place. That was our first hike in 3 years. Never know when the next one will be as life has shown us how fragile it can be!! so I always love EVERY MINUTE of them. Your hikes at Watkins Glen make me want to pack up and go up to NY state and do some hiking.

Waves to Pam and Kay and all those reading!

9/10/2020: Power Zone 30 minute ride for the start of week #4. (Matt) It was an easy ride. Truth be told? I ran out of time from lollygagging on the computer and wasn't the one I wanted to do. But it was something to start my day. Followed by a Post Ride Stretch (PRS from now on). When I got home after work, I did 20 minutes of rowing** with Dark Horse and Denis Morton's 45 minutes called for first of week #4 Power Zone Challenge followed by a cool down ride and PRS

My legs were so tired last night. I definitely do better working out in the morning and getting ahead of it.

** this rowing was different than some of his sessions. It was 20 minutes solid. I was feeling fine. But usually his workouts are 4 or 5 minutes and then rest and then continue that way. Some are 1 minute on, 1 minute off. Instead of doing 1 minute on (at 18 Stroke rate) I did 1 minute at 21-23 Stroke rate and then used the workout part as the recovery (18 stroke rate). Did I push too hard? I have no idea but good grief was a tired and sore by bed time. Legs were like lead for the power zone ride. Dark horse says I only need 2 rowing sessions a week to improve. But I do better when I stay more consistent. Who knows? Rows for September: 6/18. Fine on target!

Time to get busy with some different workouts. I seemed to have taken it easy for a few days. Rest is over. Plan, plan, plan. (I work tomorrow/Sat. so I have to figure it out). Life is good. Into week 4 of the challenge. They are still fairly doable. All endurance. I thought this would be the brutal week(s). I guess they are week 5 & 6.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 09-12-20, 01:36 AM  
Helen

Sat., 12th Sep.
am 50min dog walk
pm 2hr dog walk
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 01:42 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone, a quick post & run....
We’ve been enjoying a visit with DS2, DIL, & their pooch. They go home tomorrow.

Sept 10:
~Taught Essentrics outside
~Cardio: neighborhood walk, 20 min rebounding, & 20 min gliding - 11,500 steps
~My new fave hip & hamstring stretch from Yamuna Zake. A friend posted it on FB and I shared it there but I can’t find a link to share it here. She uses her foot wakers & I have spiky discs that are very similar. I used them a lot when I had PF.

Sept 11:
~60 min Pilates Ball class
~6 km trail walk with a friend - 11,000 steps
~Yamuna’s hip/ham stretch

Helen - Hope those exercises help your knee!

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 09-12-20, 04:21 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Look at the times for check ins. Well, Helen's I understand cuz of the time difference, but Pam! My oh my!

Pam: Your hip opener yoga sounds so nice. I did one from Peloton and it felt soooooooo good. If you ever stumble on the link or figure it out - do post it. My hips get tight from cycling/running. (probably rowing too?)

Waves to all! I have to work today, so it's a post and run so I can get on the rower and bike before work.

9/11/2020:
I must have thought I was super woman. I don't know what happened. Good grief! I did 20 minutes on the rower. Then moved to the bike. Did a 45 minute Denis Power zone ride (for the challenge) and decided to do Matt's 60 minute Power Zone Ride to get a head a little bit on the challenge so I can do fun stuff over the weekend. Then I decided (this is the wonder woman part?) to do a bootcamp with Adrian treadmill/upper body. There was a cool down ride (grateful dead - 5 mins.) and the usual 2 Post Ride Stretches.

Don't know what I was thinking! I'm not sore today (believe it or not) and I knew the second power zone ride would be whatever cadence I wanted just keeping it in my zones. (Which makes it easier. It's just a matter of a long time). But I didn't like Adrian's arm section of the Bootcamp, although it went fast enough. Too much shoulder work. I ended up subbing other exercises for them. I don't need to look like a linebacker. Some of his I like. Others? Not so much. Always hit or miss. I need to keep a notebook of the ones I like!

I am almost through week 4 of the challenge. With a few "free" recess days before week's 5 schedule comes out on Wed.

Autumn like weather is moving in for a few days. Can't believe we're almost mid September. Holy mackeral does time march on quickly.

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 09-12-20, 09:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sept 12:
~broke through 8000 steps
~Cardio: 20 min rebounding & 20 min gliding
~Jessica’s Metabolism Booster: upper body circuit
~My own seated & reclined stretches
~Yamuna’s standing hip & ham stretch: I found the link:
https://www.facebook.com/10400945501...39686047384959
I use balance pods similar to these, bought them when I had PF. But I think you could use anything to raise your heels a few inches, would need to be stable and firm but not too hard.
https://www.amazon.com/Balance-Pods-...9963625&sr=8-8

We are hunkered down in the house, literally smoked in! It’s from the fires in Oregon & CA. Hoping for rain, it’s forecast for Monday.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn