Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-19, 11:38 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 11/10-16: Veterans Day Edition!

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On the Mat check-in thread. We are a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts but who have a special appreciation for those traditionally done without footwear. If you regularly include yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, Tracy Anderson, etc. into your fitness life -- or even if you just like to shuck your shoes for more traditional exercise -- you will feel right at home!

Please feel free to join in. We always love hearing from new, returning, and guest Mat Mavens!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 11:42 AM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

I'm not going to recap my last week as it was mostly a whole lot of "nuttin'." The best that can be said is that the coming week can only be an improvement! In a short while I'm meeting with my brother (the one in serious financial distress), along with my other brother, to see what we can do. We are such a tiny family we truly have to be there for one another. That said, I am *really* hoping we can come up with a solution that doesn't involve my brother moving in with me -- which would take over my workout space! Will keep you apprised.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 12:19 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

CS 1103

Sandra, thank you for starting our week.
I understand how you feel about not wanting to give up your workout space. I hope you find a good solution for your brother.
Unfortunately, I had recently mailed 2 large boxes of my most precious exercise DVDs to my sister's house (knowing she would be home to get them off her doorstep right away). The rest of my collection was boxed and shipped with the movers. So now I have only 7 fitness DVDs! CS Season 11 was the only CS/Essentrics I kept here. I don't mind living as a minimalist but I do miss my video collection and fitness equipment.

Gayle, mowing the lawn is good exercise!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 02:30 PM  
cyana

Saturday:
MFML - Twilight YINyasa - Liz Lark.

Today:
YT - Jessica Smith 16 Minute Total Body Time Saving Standing Strength Circuit (no floor work). Posted 11.2.2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TER1wEbaOYc
YT - LWR - Chair Work-out - 10 Minute Chair Exercises at Home. Posted 10.29.2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpO-sh2HD4
MFML - Wakey Shakey Up & At 'Em - Naomi Absalom.

Jessica's work-out flew by and I was peachy with the lack of floor work. I used 5's since it was the first time I'd done it. Next time I'd have some 8's or 10's handy as well as the 5's. I hadn't done any LWR work-outs recently, and was intrigued by the chair cardio. Since I didn't have a chair handy, I did it standing, which worked out fine. This would be good if you have an injury or wanted to do a short work-out while you were sitting at your desk. Naomi's practice was fun and she describes it "cheeky". She didn't pull out a yoga mat and was wearing cute overalls. The first part was very free-form and flowy and in some ways made me think of Essentrics. There were a couple of down dogs and planks near the end (nothing too wristy). I would do it again.

Speaking of doing yoga....what's your minimum room temperature for doing yoga? In the winter I sometimes myself shying away from doing a yoga practice because I feel cold and tight. Or I'll only do a short practice as an add on after doing something more vigorous that gets my muscles warm.

Sandra - Good luck with your family meeting. Might there be any chance your brother's mortgage lender would be able to work with him while he attempts to regain his financial footing? Are there are state, local or veteran's programs that he might be able to tap into? Like you, I have a tiny family and it definitely makes it even more difficult when someone is faced with a crisis.

Paine - I like Season 11 even though some people complained about it being too easy. Isn't that the one where the big lizard walks up behind Miranda and she doesn't appear to notice? If you get tired of your 7 DVD's, are you able to stream from YT?

When I logged in today, I noticed it's Kath's birthday. I didn't know if anyone was still in touch with her.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 03:41 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, I can't remember if Season 11 had the lizard in it (LOL!).
I can do YouTube workouts but I have to do it from my little 13 inch laptop. It's fine for yin yoga on the floor when I can have my laptop next to me and I can see the screen well but not so good for standing workouts when I'm farther from my laptop.
I workout in our master bedroom so the temperature is probably around 70 degrees. I wouldn't want to do yoga in a room that was too cold.
I remember Kath and hope she is doing good!
Old 11-10-19, 04:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, so sorry to hear about your brother's difficulties! I know it is stressful trying to strike a balance between wanting to help him and making sure to take care of yourself, too. I hope the three of you are able to find a solution that works for everyone.

Paine, 7 DVDs is SUPER minimalist! I don't have as big a collection as most, but it's probably been well over 20 years since I had that few (VHS, of course!). I'd be interested in hearing which others you decided to keep--although I guess we kind of know already based on what you have been doing! I think my laptop is the same size as yours, but when I use YT videos, I hook the laptop up to my TV so that I have a bigger screen.

cyana, maybe you need some yin yoga in the winter since that is supposed to be done with cold muscles! I like it warm and will turn on my space heater when doing yoga at home. I like when the studio is heated but not hot. Unfortunately, at the studio where I teach, the heat is behaving strangely (I was there for gentle yoga this morning and was glad to be wearing long sleeves!) and the new canalside studio I've been attending has also been on the cool side. I am friends with Kath on FB and just wished her a happy birthday.

Hi to everyone who has yet to chime in for this week!

This morning was a nice gentle yoga class with one of the other teachers in my studio. She is a psychology graduate school, so we have that in common; we are also both the oldest of three girls and from NJ (although she is from central and I am from south--different worlds, haha). Afterward we had a teachers' meeting and did a mock class so we could take photos.

My week is below; 3WYR = Beach Body's 3 Week Yoga Retreat.

Monday
recumbent bike, 20 minutes
3WYR, Week 1 - Day 1, Core

Tuesday
Walk to the Hits Party Songs - Mile 2
3WYR, Week 1 - D2, Stretch

Wednesday
recumbent bike, 18 minutes
3WYR, Week 1 - D3, Balance

Thursday
TAUGHT yoga at noon, yoga at studio
3WYR, Week 1 - D5, Flow on the Go

Friday
3WYR, Week 1 - D4, Flow

Saturday
30MTF - Build & Burn, Upper Body Supersets
recumbent bike, 15m
3WYR, Week 1 - D6, Relax #1

Sunday
Gentle yoga class + meditation with Jen
3WYR, Week 1 - D7, Take 10, AM

I also had a good week with more formal (but short) meditation sessions, 5 of 7 days.

Oh, DH and I saw a really good movie last night on MOD! It's called Yesterday, about a musician who wakes up after an accident and discovers that no one has ever heard of The Beatles.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 05:03 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Here is the link to the essential oils collection I won if anyone is interested:
https://elenabrower.com/yoga-collect...lends-doterra/

For some reason, there is a 40-minute intro video to these 3 oils--if anyone wants to watch and summarize for me, let me know.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 05:47 PM  
gjv

Boo, the Chief's lost today.

I have gotten some new dvds recently so in my OCD fashion I decided to rearrange my whole collection. Maybe I'd see something that I had forgotten I had. What did I reach for and do this morning? Leslie's Tone Every Zone Walk lol.

I really don't have a great variety of workouts. I tend to stay with the same instructors. I have Leslie's, Jessica, some of the FIRM, some KCM's and the Slim Series.

I also walked outside with a friend this afternoon.
Old 11-10-19, 05:52 PM  
gjv

Cyana, I have Cathes' PHA2 that I would give to you, if you want it. I just don't seem to click with Cathe.
Old 11-10-19, 06:46 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, how do you hook up your laptop to your TV--do you use a cable or what?
How did you like the first week of Beach Body's Yoga Retreat?
We saw the movie Yesterday and liked it. On Netflix we recently saw Holiday in the Wild and we enjoyed that too (it had a nice ending).
Here are the 7 DVDs I have:
Beauty to the Bone
Good 'N Strong
Strong & Limber for Life
Core Fusion Body Sculpt
Kathy Smith Functionally Fit
Deep Stretch Yin Yoga with Mimi Solaire
CS Season 11
I also have a few Ballet Beautiful downloads that I bought many years ago.