Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-12-19, 08:55 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a 2 mile walk with Lesley followed by Yoga with Adriene - Yoga Belly. DH and I took a long walk too.

Anita, the shipyard work isn't major, we're having the bottom cleaned and painted and a few other minor things. Keep warm, the thought of 6 degrees F makes me shiver even though I'm in California.

Laura, this seems to be a regular thing with us, i.e. coming back from vacation with a cold. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I always think it is best when the cold waits until you get home to hit. I've gotten a full blown cold while on a cruise ship and that wasn't much fun. Of course as soon as I began to feel better DH got it so we shared that experience. DH came home healthy from our last cruise, but before that he'd gotten to the place where he didn't want to go on a cruise because he said he always came home with a cold. So rest up and hope this passes. DH is doing very well, better than I expected for this point in time.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 08:52 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm dealing with a cold also... not fun, but it's pretty well taken care of by DayQuil/NyQuil. We had a snow storm predicted this morning, but so far nothing - hope it stays nothing as I need to cross town to get to my car dealer's place to do an oil change and maybe more. We're still cold, but warming up to the freezing zone the next few days - hope it will be warm and dry this weekend to do more raking. Otherwise planning on walking Gus and putzing around today - I'm going through books to downsize some more.

Laura, I share your cold - not fun, but simply annoying. Thanks for editing the title suggestions down in length - hope those fit the space!

Paula, The temp is like January weather - sunlight in November is about where we would be in January, so I'm just pretending it's January right now . Gus still wants his walks and isn't totally miserable out there. Hope your boat enjoys its belly rub .

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 11:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Every day is different with this cold. I slept like the dead and then have not done much this morning. Hopefully, this will help me feel better. I'm trying to catch up on various things on the computer.

Anita - I hope your cold gets better quickly. And, I hope the snow isn't too bad.

Paula - Yeah, I agree about the cold. It's better to be sick AFTER the cruise. I've been really fortunate and have never been sick on a cruise.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 01:37 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

I’ve gotten everything done that I wanted to on my days off this week. All locks have been successfully changed, second bathroom is ready for a sleepover and made it to Home Depot. I love running errands during the work week, especially since I go early in the day. There’s nobody out and about! I’ll enjoy retirement when the time comes.

This past Sunday I met my coworker and her husband (another boss from County) at the new Fry’s that opened up in downtown PHX. This is the coworker who is recovering from brain surgery (removal of ear tumor). She’s doing amazing!

This morning I ran to Target and finally made my way to Popeyes to try the chicken sandwich. I got the spicy version and it did not disappoint. I also tried their bourbon fudge pie-wow. I’m not one to get desserts at a fast food place but they had me at bourbon and fudge. I would definitely go there again when I get a hankering for a chicken sandwich. I think the bourbon fudge pie is seasonal.

Laura~I’m sorry you came back with a cold. I think that’s normal when coming back from vacation. So happy you were able to turn down the job. It wasn’t a good fit (hours/pay wise) for you. Feel better, yeah you needed the sleep!

Anita~aw, you too? I hope you get better soon. I can’t believe y’all are this cold so early. We are still in the 80’s.

Paula~I don’t know. I think finishing up the new faucet in the bathroom is a bit too scary for me.

I’m keeping up with my pilates/Pahla’s routines in the morning and evenings. I also found a stretch that has been helping the stiffness in my right knee. It’s the stretch where you are lying on your back, one leg is straight and the other leg is being stretched out to the side pulling it towards ya shoulder. Does that make sense? I don’t know what that stretch is called. Anyhoo, that and the hamstring stretch has been helping immensely.

Talk soon!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 09:25 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Sorry to hear Anita and Laura are sick. I hope your colds get knocked out soon. Paula, glad to hear your DH is handling treatment well so far.

Mary, bourbon fudge pie sounds amazing.

Today I pulled out a Jessica Smith DVD I hadn't done in ages: Have A Ball! It was fun.

Endo is concerned about DH's TSH. He is putting him on Synthroid. But he wants to go slow with the dosage. He said if we do too much too soon, it could cause heart issues. But he also said if DH has heart disease that hasn't manifested yet, this could trigger that also. That has me a bit concerned. But a TSH of 24 is nothing to play around with. He went back through DH's labs and can't find that he's ever had a TSH done. We couldn't remember it ever being done. So the doctor thinks this has been coming on slowly over time. DH is unhappy about adding another script to the mix. I understand, but I think it's important. The endo also agreed with us that DS's TSH is probably too high, but he thinks he should have antibodies tested. Knowing DS, he'll blow the whole thing off.

We did get snow yesterday, but as promised, it didn't stick to the roads. And the cold temps have been rather jarring. But I know it's worse in other parts of the country.

Waves to all cronies and to adawn!
Old 11-13-19, 10:42 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Eoin Finn, Pure and Simple Yoga. DH and I did some errands to get a slip for the boat as of December 1.

Anita, sorry you have a cold too and you didn't even take a cruise! My DH calls cruise ships petri dishes of germs, he may be right. Somehow it's always hard to downsize books, even ones you know you'll never open again.

Laura, hope you were able to get some things done on the computer. But first and foremost, take whatever down time you need to get better.

Mary, yay for getting lots done on the condo. Plumbing work is daunting, but I thought you were Wonder Woman. Bourbon fudge pie, the thought makes me salivate. I've tried some of the Pahla's workouts, I like her but I have a hard time clicking with her sometimes.

Dede, I hope this new treatment will help your DH. I don't understand most of the treatment you were describing, but I hope it works.
Old 11-14-19, 08:32 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It's Thursday and I don't have much on the calendar for today. I'm going to call the doctor and try to get in. I'm feeling better but can feel stuff in my chest when I cough, so I probably need an antibiotic. Now, DH is feeling like he might be getting it. Oh, joy.

We did make one big decision while we were on vacation - where to go next year on vacation. We're going to go after the #1 place on our travel bucket list and try to take a cruise from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand next year. So, part of what I've been doing on the computer is to look into that possibility. DH isn't up to the trip yet but thinks that if we were to go in the latter part of the year that would give him the time to get his health and back to where it needs to be for the long plane ride. He has improved so much in the past few months that we are seeing enough momentum to hope that he'll be even better next year. And, next year will be our 30th anniversary, so it seems like an appropriate time to go for it.

While I was typing this, I was on with the doctor trying to get an appointment and they can see me at 9:30, so I gotta go. Everyone have a good day.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 09:07 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

At least the nighttime cold meds knock me out well for sleep . Today i'm planning on going to chair yoga, walking Gus and putzing around the house a bit. We did get about half an inch of snow yesterday - snow's still on the ground, so raking leaves isn't happening much.

Laura, The night meds seem lots powerful than daytime ones - they do lead to a good sleep though! The snow wasn't too bad - was coming down when I came back from my oil change. Just went slowly and all was fine. Are you just focusing on the cruise or on spending time in both Australia and New Zealand? I'd schedule lots of time in both countries to see things - minimum of two weeks in each... Good luck at the doctor's! Last yuck I had was in my chest with lots of mucous coming up in coughing, but nothing in my head - still was a virus with no antibiotics.

Mary, Woot on getting things done at home on your days off ! That timing is something I love about retirement . Glad you met your friend - is her balance OK after her surgery? We've got a few Popeyes here in the Twin Cities, but I've never tried them - sounds good! Glad you've found a good stretch - unfortunately my left hip is not liking me after my class on Tuesday .

Dede, glad DH got in to the endo to at least get evaluated - sounds like your entire family is having thyroid issues - hopefully everyone responds well to treatment.

Paula, Eoin Finn is a classic! I think I got my cold from circus - lots of used Kleenex on my desk :yuck:, so lots of germs going around there!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 06:06 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

I got out and about today to run some errands. Tomorrow I’m meeting a couple friends from work for lunch (of the girls took off as it’s her birthday and I believe the other one is flexing). I don’t flex I just work my five 8 hour days.

Paula~aw shucks, I wish just so I can wear those cool gold bracelets! 4 more weeks of Chemo for DH OR 3? So grateful he is doing well.

Anita~Popeyes is nothing compared to what it was when Al Copeland owned the business. He lived a few blocks away from where I grew up (Metairie, Louisiana) and he decorated his house beautifully during Christmas. There would be cars lined up driving ever so slowly to take in the sights. My brother used to work at the location 5 minutes from the house and would often bring home biscuits and chicken. Sadly the recipe for the biscuits has been changed. It’s not nearly as buttery and soft. Ew, used tissue on ya desk! I’d be busting out the Clorox wipes, Lysol and hand sanitizer. Yes her balance has been fine since the surgery-before surgery it was not ok.

Laura~that sounds like a great trip for next year. So happy DH is making improvements.

Dede~even though I don’t know what those levels are or mean I am so sorry for all the health issues. You got snow flurries too? I think Paula and I are stuck in the 80’s for another couple days or so.

Talk soon!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 09:51 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's Fall Into Fitness Day four followed by Karen Voight Yoga Stretch. Today was DH's second treatment so it was a hang around home day. I got groceries, he hung out in the living room watching YouTube videos.

Laura, that vacation sounds simply great! I am so glad your DH is beginning to heal. Hopefully the road to Aukland is open for you two. Hope all went well at the doctors.

Anita, yay for meds that help you sleep. Because I seem to be allergic to darn near everything, wadded up Kleenex is a constant in my life.

Mary, today was DH's second treatment, 4 more to go. Dare I admit I've never been to a Popeye's and have no idea what they serve other than chicken. Guess they make (or made) good biscuits?