Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-09, 06:30 AM  
Snuckles

Okay, so I did this workout yesterday and I liked it for the most part. I liked my heart rate was up and I sweated bullets, what does bother me is the lack of verbal cueing. You really need to watch the tv to know when you should be moving on in a stretch, warming up and cooling down. For the main exercises he gives you the total number of reps so I guess you could look up once you finish your reps and hopefully you kept up otherwise you'll be rewinding.

This morning I have no DOMS. I used 3 & 5 lbs for this workout. 3 lbs for the more shoulder intense exercises. The ab exercises were pretty good.

I would like to work this into a rotation for a while to see what kind of (if any) results I could get.
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 07:21 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

How similar is this to NMTZ?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 07:49 AM  
Gardengirl

I'm back to report that I have some pleasant DOMS in my buns and thighs this morning!

Lucky, I don't think Lalofit is like NMTZ at all. Jillian keeps you moving at a pretty fast clip. What's so different than my other workouts of this type (to me anyway) is that Lalo moves slow and controlled. He does four circuits (6 minutes) of exercises and then about 1-1/2 of some simple cardio (jacks, jogging, etc.) So while the formula isn't all that different from other DVDs, the slow pace is.

Snuckles, you don't sound too enamored. I think it was Adam that pointed out that after you do this workout a couple of times, you that you get used to the lack of cuing and can actually use the music only feature.
Old 06-12-09, 08:25 AM  
Snuckles

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I just wish the cueing was better. Kind of reminded me of Tracey Anderson's lack of cueing where you had to do the workout a couple of times to get a feel on to change.

I'm gonna give NMTZ a whirl on my next workout day.
Old 06-12-09, 12:46 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Judy, thanks for the comparison. I would really prefer a slower workout with more precise control of movement -- just not sure of that creepy, shadowy "abandoned parking garage at night" set.
Old 06-12-09, 12:49 PM  
Snuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Judy, thanks for the comparison. I would really prefer a slower workout with more precise control of movement -- just not sure of that creepy, shadowy "abandoned parking garage at night" set.
LOL Lucky! It's dangerous & sexy!
Old 06-12-09, 12:54 PM  
Gardengirl

Lucky, I think the clip at Collage is a pretty fair representation of his style of working out. But I gotta say that the background doesn't bother me. It's just nice to have some upbeat music and the slower pace so I can overlook it! And really, I don't necessarily think it's the "freeze" action that gave me some nice DOMS, I think it's going slow that really works my muscles! It's funny that even though the movements are slow, my heart rate is still up there!!!
Old 06-12-09, 01:27 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

For one thing, this slow kind of work burns a LOT more calories that "cardio" workouts as we usually think of them. Your muscles are what burns the cals. Havent you ever seen the "aerobics" instructors in gyms that still jiggle and wiggle and are quite fluffy? You wonder "how can they do all of these sessions each week and still be chubby or flabby". It is because pure aerobics is GREAT for the heart exercise we need, but a lot of cardio work does not really hit the body that much. Just the legs or whatever. Sloooow movement has always been known to burn more cals and use the muscles more. I am actually looking forward to getting this one.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 01:58 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I did Lalofit this morning too, for the first time. I did my own warmup and continued on after the cardio intervals. I loved the music and Lalo's choice of exercises, but for me the jury is still out on this one and I'm not quite sure why. I'll have to do it a few more times before I make any rash decisions.
Okay, I did not do this workout again today, but I was just reading one of the reviews and I have to agree with the reviewer on a couple of points and I think that is why I wasn't quite sure if this one will be a regular for me. This is mainly a lower body and shoulders workout. No biceps, which is fine, I get it - it's an isolation exercise and all that, but I like working my biceps. Also very little chest and triceps work, and nothing for the back. So, for me it's not really a total body workout, unless I just missed the boat on how Lalo worked these muscle groups. Also, even though the moves are slow and controlled, I don't feel I could potentially use this for heavy weights because of the high reps, which is fine because I mostly do high rep workouts anway. I guess I associate slow and controlled with heavier weights. Oh, and I agree with Snuckles about the lack of queuing. I often found myself just concentrating on what I was doing, rather than having my eyes glued to the TV the whole time - I do this often when I workout. When I did this though I found I was not precisely on pace with Lalo. So, that's another thing to consider.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. Just thought I'd add my two cents to help anyone who is on the fence to get off - one way or the other.
Old 06-12-09, 04:20 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
LOL Lucky! It's dangerous & sexy!
Oh well, when you put it THAT way...

Tags
lalo fuentes, lalofit