Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-19, 09:21 AM  
laurajhawk

Pat, I need to get back to doing yin. It's good for my body and my mind.
Kim's theme last night was space - making space in your body and your life. It was a very good class - I had to laugh when she told us to "get BIG" because right in front of me was the yogini in her 7th month of pregnancy and she was way ahead of us all on the BIG thing.
This morning I did LIIFT4 Chest & Triceps. LIIFT4 has kinda' become my "home" workout and I was happy to get back to it. I've been meaning to anyway, then a coworker was diagnosed with osteopenia. I actually have osteoporosis (diagnosed almost two years ago) and talking with her reminded me why I need to keep up with heavier weights and impact cardio. I plan on Kim's advanced class tonight.

Jackie, I'm sending hugs. Things will get better. Tiny-town classes are a crapshoot for sure. The best yoga teacher I know (my Kim) is in a teeny-tiny town - it's great luck for the students who live there, and she attracts lots of students from my town (which is bigger and about 15 miles away).
Pam, Twilight Vinyasa does sound lovely.
Sherry, bodyweight yoga definitely counts as strength work! I can't do only yoga because I don't have time to do it properly. I think a 90 minute vinyasa practice would be best (for me) if it were my only workout along with walking.
Cyana, good to "see" you! Check in when you can.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 10:28 AM  
sherry7899

Good morning! I took a rest day yesterday.

Today:

-Soul Sweat with Chantal 66 minutes (!)
-Yoga Upload 20 minute morning flow yoga

I swear I will lift weights again someday soon! I am just not motivated to try them.

Jackie, I am so sorry about the car accident, your daughter's burn (I hope she is feeling better!) and the crappy live class. That is too much for one week, especially since it is only Wednesday-sending you hugs!

Laura-thanks! I can't fit it all in and have to accept that. A lot of people don't exercise at all, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Pam-your classes sound so nice. I am making soup for tonight

Pat-how are you feeling? I don't get the calorie burn either. I am in a Les Mills on demand facebook group, and there are people who burn insane amounts of calories doing a 55 minute Body Combat class-as in over 600 calories! Granted, I take out the high impact, but I never get anywhere near that high of a calorie burn. Oh, well. I am moving.

Have a great day-
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 07:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

Today’s workouts:
~20 min freestyle rebounding
~Barlates: Cardio Interval Tone 45/30 - This was a great little workout at 29 min. The focus was mainly lower body & cardio but it also included a little upper body strength with light hand weights.
~headstand practice
~3 km neighborhood walk
~yin yoga class

Jackie - Also sending you (((hugs))) & hope your sweet DD heals quickly! I have been to some bad classes too, primarily yoga, where I wanted to escape but couldn’t without causing a disturbance, lol.

Sherry - I made a clean out the fridge soup in my IP last night....turkey, coconut curry vegetable chick pea..... It was quite tasty!

Laura & Pat - Yin is my go to for recovery, relaxation, & destressing. I don’t do much vinyasa any more unless it’s a slow flow with longer holds as my wrists detest multiple chaturangas.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 07:40 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It's just been a week. Aubrey will be fine....she has some big blisters though. She has a tough time doing things....so this is rough right now.

The car is a pain.

Yeah....that class. IDK. We are so spoiled with good content on dvds and online.

Waving my white surrender flag!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 09:04 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Yesterday I accomplished:

~ An 11 minute LWR;
~ PT blitz catchup, the whole repertoire, with lots of stretching and a few Svaroopa asana

Laura, your space yoga sounds wonderful. I love when teachers incorporate off-the-mat into the session. I recently joined the osteoporosis camp - best wishes with yours.

Sherry, what really ticks me about calories is shoveling! You just about kill yourself carrying heavy loads, sweating out in the snow, and end up with 2,800 steps for the day and hardly any calorie burn. I had to stop thinking about it. I'm sure you will lift weights again soon.

Pam - my Reiki teacher taught us a few hints for keeping up good energy, and recommended doing yin yoga to keep the ki energized and flowing. I'm jealous of your class!

Aw Jackie sounds like a case of Mom Overload. I hope you get mental health break soon.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 09:53 AM  
laurajhawk

Hi ladies! Last night's advanced vinyasa was really fun. It was still on the "space" theme. We worked toward camel/half-split (a pose that exists only on Pinterest ) and Shiva pose (not dancing shiva but a sort of bridge/compass hybrid thing). It felt good at the time but later my lower back hurt and still does. Bengay helps - it's an ache, not an injury - but I didn't want to do more yoga this morning or much of anything. I did Jessica's Prehab and that was good. I'm not walking the dogs b/c there was freezing rain overnight and now there's ice.

Pat, best of luck to you too with the osteoporosis. It's unpleasant to get that diagnosis when it feels like we're taking good care of ourselves, but there are certainly worse things we could have!
Jackie, you're right about us being spoiled. There are such great teachers with DVDs and online workouts.
Pam, I have several Barlates sets and don't use them much. I have some dread. I should use them more and then I'd probably get over that.
Sherry, I wonder about those sky-high calorie burns too. They're either overstated (by the person or by their device) or those are big big people, I think.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 11:26 AM  
sherry7899

Laura, I have weight to lose, so I thought my calorie burn should be higher. I'm just going to take it as a guideline. The actual exercise benefits are more important than calorie burn.

I hope your back is feeling better

Speaking of needing calorie burning, we went to Trader Joe's last night. I bought a box of the dark chocolate covered peppermint Jo Jo cookies. I allow myself one box a year They are so good. I ignored the umpteen other chocolate/peppermint treats, which took a lot of willpower! I picked up some beauty items for my holiday gift exchange giftee also. I was hunting for their "12 days of Beauty Box" that was released this week, but my store did not have it yet. That's fine-it turned out the price was more than I wanted to spend anyway.

I wanted to do cardio this morning, but my knees and back are kind of cranky. I may have to scale back on the hour long cardio (which took so long to work up to being to do!). My body needed yin yoga today, so I did Yoga Upload's 45 minute no props yin practice. I may do more stretching later. Hopefully I can get back to dance or kickboxing tomorrow.

Pat, I can't even do shoveling because of my bad shoulder, but that would be totally frustrating!!

The soup I made last night is this one, minus the cheese. I use sweet Italian turkey sausage, and use red pepper instead of green. I dislike green peppers:

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/in...-lasagna-soup/

Old 11-08-19, 01:26 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello all!

Today’s workouts:
~Essentrics class taught by my student who is now my co-teacher. It’s so nice when another instructor comes to my little studio & teaches a class!
~70 crab walks with a resistance band
~6 km walk
~90 min of yin yoga on my own...forward bends, hip openers, twists, chest openers....

Jackie - I hope things are settling down for you & your DD is healing!

Laura - Wow, those poses sound advanced, I hope your back is okay! Jessica’s Prehab is a nice workout. Some of the Barlates workouts would have a dread factor for me too, Linda is tough! I preview then before I buy, she always has either a preview or the full video available. I don’t want high impact or wrist intensive stuff like burpees or pushups. I stick to beginner or intermediate & not much over 30 minutes max. She has a lot of workouts that are close to an hour and I know she’d kill me with one of those. She has awesome .99 cent sales on a few of her downloads every week.

Sherry - I’m looking forward to some Trader Joe treats in a few weeks when we go to Seattle. My faves are the chocolate peanut butter cups & the salted chocolate caramels. That lasagna soup looks delish!

Pat - Ugh to shovel max! Best of luck with the osteoporosis. I must ask for a repeat dexa scan as I know mine bone density is not great....the perils of aging & menopause... Yes my yin class is a real treat! The instructor has everything all set up for us....mat, bolster, blocks, blankets....and with the fireplace on it’s heavenly!

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 11-09-19, 01:37 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello & TGIF!

Today’s offerings:
~Barlates Barre Bell HIIT Core - This was another good one, nice pace & length at 25 min. It was a full body workout with some emphasis on the core. I had to do some modifications as a few segments were wrist intensive.
~Essentrics TV: Express Posture - This felt great after the KBs.
~7 km city walk
~90 min of yin as above - Sometimes I just want to do my own thing.

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 11-09-19, 08:45 AM  
sherry7899

I took an unplanned rest day yesterday(sigh). I woke up at 4:30 am, and my knees and back were still cranky.

This morning:

-hour long Soul Sweat class
-Yoga Upload "hands free flow" 35 minutes. I enjoyed this one. I am trying to do more flow yoga, but I dislike sun sals. This did not have any.

Pam-I love the dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's. Have fun shopping!
The lasagna soup recipe makes a LOT. You may want to cut the recipe in half or freeze some of it. We eat it for days! Luckily my DH does not mind that. Our son is another story.....

I will be back later. I need to get some breakfast