Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-15, 05:27 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

I don't know if it was the dual layering or what, but I do know that some people complained about having two workouts on a DVD, so that it was harder to make trades. I believe that was Cathe.com's rationale for going to one workout per DVD. At about that time, CIA videos did that one set where there were about six workouts on two DVDs (no premixes), and people made the same complaint--and, of course, there was only one case, as well.
Old 11-11-15, 09:31 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

There's no pleasing everyone for sure, but I think it is an economic decision both to put each workout on one DVD and not to create premixes using different workouts. I really do understand that, particularly now that there are so many predictions of the "death of the DVD" format. But still, a girl can dream of premixes using the various workouts....
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-15, 11:15 AM  
desderata

Quote:
I think it is an economic decision both to put each workout on one DVD and not to create premixes using different workouts.
I agree. Charging a certain amount for each workout brings in more income than combining 2 workouts on one disc. Creating premixes using footage from workouts on separate dvds is not "impossible" as Cathe stated, as she has done it before. It is more time consuming and probably more expensive. Not doing so saves money, but also makes the dvd series less valuable. Combining the upper body and lower body workouts on one dvd and creating a premix from the two would have made a great deal of sense, but perhaps not as much money.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-15, 12:30 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I don't blame Cathe one bit for not combining multiple workouts onto one disc or creating crossover premixes. Why should she cannibalize her profit margin that way? Especially when she is one of the few instructors out there still willing to produce dvds rather than going the apparently more profitable route of streaming only? I'm just grateful she listens to her fans who still want high quality workouts on pressed dvds. Many are abandoning dvds or are putting things out on dvd-r instead to save money.

I'm grateful to her, KCM, Jessica Smith and others who are still doing this. I only wish some of my other favorites would put something out (hello Travis Eliot, Ilaria and Susan Chung! I'm craving something from you guys on DVD!!)
Old 11-11-15, 01:43 PM  
antbuko

If Cathe Live and OnDemand aren't cannabilizing her DVDs sales then I doubt that a cross over premix from two DVDs in the same series is going to. I think it's probably a technical issue that would compromise the finished product. Haven't some premixes in the past been problematic in the past because of this? Problems with sound, freezing DVDs, etc.
Old 11-11-15, 07:56 PM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
Ya know, I'm just gonna hafta try that now. Thanks for the recommendation.
So I tried that bonus workout on the Pyramid DVD. Wow! There's a gem I never even knew was on there. I usually don't do the bonus sections....now I have to go through all my Cathes and take another look at those! Anyways, this premix was pyramid up only with both upper and lower body without the abs section....I was really hoping I didn't have to finish with that b/c I always do that section first with UB.....my arms are just too fried at the end to do those pikes on the ball. It clocked in at about 55 minutes and as long as you have the equipment already set up you can transition pretty quickly between the UB and LB sections. She does 2 sections of LB, then 2 UB, then 2 LB and so on. My only complaint was that she did the leg section with the high step twice....which just slays me.....it really gets the HR up there and I was so glad after I had the first one done, not knowing she was gonna hit it again later on. What a great total body workout!!!

I was under the impression that the bonus sections Cathe offers were just short clips of exercises that Cathe couldn't fit on the DVD. I had no idea that bonus sections could be a full length workout.

Thanks again Phyllis for the recommendation!

Are there any other Cathe premix gems I need to know about?
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-15, 05:52 PM  
weezy

Let's talk equipment used a minute. Has she given a list yet that anyone knows of? I have went through a few threads on her forum and I cannot find one. Even the descriptions of the individual dvds do not have equipment used. I want to pre order, but if she is using every piece of equipment under the sun I may reconsider. Here lately I am all about simplicity.
weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-15, 06:47 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy View Post
Let's talk equipment used a minute. Has she given a list yet that anyone knows of? I have went through a few threads on her forum and I cannot find one. Even the descriptions of the individual dvds do not have equipment used. I want to pre order, but if she is using every piece of equipment under the sun I may reconsider. Here lately I am all about simplicity.
One list I found via google search was from Cathe back in June(!!!):

"It's too soon to confirm definitively what will be used in the new series, but at this point in time I know it will incorporate a step used as a weight bench along with hand weights and some form of resistance band or tubing."
http://cathe.com/forum/threads/equip...in-ice.300351/

There's also this about equipment needed for "To the Mat":
"The only equipment you need for ICE To The Mat Legs and Glutes is a stability ball,mat, 6ft stretch band, and a firewalker or similar loop."
http://cathe.com/forum/threads/ice-t...ipment.301679/

(I would argue that a 6 ft band can easily be tied into a loop and work well for some exercises.)

In some workouts, I think the step is going to be used as more than just a weight bench, e.g. "Low Impact Sweat" has 2 cardio sections, a floor cardio section and step cardio section.

In the Boot Camp Muscle Meltdown - Biceps photo, a stability ball is being used for preacher curls.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-15, 09:28 PM  
weezy

Thank you adawn. I appreciate the info.
weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 11:52 AM  
lavna

Cathe posted an update:

We’re excited to tell you that we finished the editing and authoring of the entire ICE series a few days ago. We spent this weekend proofing each DVD for mistakes. This is a very time consuming and detailed process, especially true because of all the premixes and chapters. We still have about two or three more days of proofing and correcting any mistakes, but masters should be sent off to the replicator later this week.

I wonder when we will see clips...
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe ice series, flex train, ice, ice reviews, peripheral heart action