Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-11, 11:06 AM  
alisoncooks

Steady-state, intervals, Hiit, tabata...what cardio do you include?

There are so many different types of cardio... Do you aim to mix up the types that you include in your week?

Right now, I think I do mainly steady-state or easy intervals...but I was wondering if I should include some more intense cardio intervals...?

What does your week/month look like?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 11:36 AM  
Artist of Eyes

When I do cardio I do what you've been doing. I don't like hard intervals and tabata is not my thing. I just like doing what feels good and sounds fun!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 11:42 AM  
zippity

I like to mix it up...if it gets too easy, then I need to change the type of cardio/workout! Muscle confusion!
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 11:45 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I really like Hiit/tabata cardio a lot. As far as I understand it though it's better to do both types of cardio as they both have benefits. Plus you aren't supposed to do Hiit more than 2-3 times a week. I tend to find most steady state cardio painfully boring unless it's 1990's type step aerobics, but I try to include it. Interval and circuit workouts are my favorite since you get both strength and cardio in, making it the most bang for my buck.
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 12:24 PM  
neatski

I loooove interval, HiiT and Tabata cardio so much that I rarely do anything else. I find steady state cardio to be so boring unless it's in the form of kickboxing, in which things get changed up often, or step. I spent years and years running on treadmills or stepping on steppers- my tolerance threshold for repetitive motions has already been exceeded .

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 01:18 PM  
LVJ

I prefer to do a mixture of cardio styles each week, but have focused heavily on HIIT workouts (Tabata's mainly) all year due to long-running time constraints. I have found my steady state cardio workouts easier because I have focused more on HIIT workouts this year.
LVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 01:37 PM  
CarlaShanti

My favourite cardio is kickboxing, boxing and step. Hiit and tabata are okay but I feel so guilty about doing them because I have downstairs neighbours, I rarely bother with those. If we ever move to a ground floor flat, I would include them more. I only do them when I feel pretty sure no one is home down there.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 06:38 PM  
slysam

I like a mix of types of cardio. I don't do a lot of hiit or intense intervals (intense but maybe not quite hiit, isn't hiit anaerobic?), but I try to one or two times a week. One of my favorite for hiit is kettlebells and/or jump roping for the intense interval. I don't currently do cardio machines partially because I don't workout at a gym unless swimming and partially because I don't like repetitive movement type cardio (though I can tolerate it outside so walking, jogging, etc outside is exempt). I think slower, milder steady state has some benefits and some activities I like fit into that category and I feel hiit and intense intervals has other benefits. I am thinking of doing hiit a little more often as it seems to oppress my appetite a bit (for a while anyway). But I am not sure it would if I did it too often.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote