Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-16, 04:30 PM  
JENILU

Does This Style DVD Still Exist? Any Ideas?

i may have several and have just forgotten, but I need a reminder or ideas. It seems like nearly everything includes bodyweight work nowadays. I am looking for something atleast a little bit fun, that is maybe gentle cardio sculpting (can be heavier weights as long as I can go light and still feel like I have done something). Say mid beginner to low intermediate. Doesnt put any bodyweight on the hands (I don't mind going to the floor for side legs lifts, etc, tho); but also doesn't work the shoulders and back to death while standing. Great music would be a plus, but i know thats pushing it. I LOVE Jessica Smith, but she works the shoulders and back way too much for me sometimes. I am having to be gentle there. (Oh, more criteria. I'd rather it not be band work unless I can easily subsitute)

Not sure if it fits the bill, but am considering Chris Freytag's 2 Week Turnaround again. It seemed like that kinda fit the bill, but i can't remember. I don't mind modifying some of the shoulder and backwork in DVDs, but I run out of ideas. My shoulders and back get cramped up and exhausted, and I can't just constantly do biceps and triceps.
(interested in other workouts too, not just cardio. All weight lifting includes bodyweight these days too)

I am sorry. I am not good at organizing my criteria and questions. Hopefully this is fairly easy to understand. If anything jumps out at you, or if you have other ideas, let me know.
Thank y'all!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 04:51 PM  
bubbles76

Kathy Smith's Project You? I haven't explored it all, but I don't think it has body weight work. I will have to double check to see if it includes pushups. Or Petra Kolber's Step by Step Strength Training.

ETA: Oh, cardio sculpting. Do you mean where there's a little cardio, then a little sculpting? Or sculpting with a cardio effect?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 05:01 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Kathy Smith's Project You? I haven't explored it all, but I don't think it has body weight work. I will have to double check to see if it includes pushups. Or Petra Kolber's Step by Step Strength Training.

ETA: Oh, cardio sculpting. Do you mean where there's a little cardio, then a little sculpting? Or sculpting with a cardio effect?
I mean any of the above i guess, lol. I am just tired of having to stop and take out every DVD.I WAS loving walking style cardio that included weights- some of them used weights while walking, some would stop and do weights and then start cardio again, alternating, Any of it is fine. i just don't want to go to the floor unless its to lay down and stretch or do side leg work, and not a ton of upper back and shoulders. Thankyou so much for the ideas!!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 12-05-16, 05:02 PM  
twinkletoes

How about this one? Jennifer Giannis Fusion Pilates Triple Threat.
Old 12-05-16, 05:06 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
Yay! I got that one a long time back in a trade and have never tried it!! Thankyou!

Old 12-05-16, 05:13 PM  
twinkletoes

Please let me know what you think! I think it's a good one!
Old 12-05-16, 05:38 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
Please let me know what you think! I think it's a good one!
I haven't been moving well the last couple of days (I think its the rain), but if i'm able, I'll try it tonight. Thankyou for reminding me about it!!

Old 12-05-16, 06:12 PM  
Eibhinn

Maybe these would fit the bill?

Firm Ballroom Aerobics

Anni Mairs Life Force Workout

Petra Kolber Bootcamp Boogie (more cardio than strength - no weights used - and more straight intermediate, but good music. Does have a yoga stretch at the end that includes downward dog)

Anita Barbero Strength and Spirit (has a yoga cooldown that might involve some downward dogs, but I don't think the actual workout includes bodyweight work, perhaps someone can confirm)

Not that you asked, but if wrists are an issue but you want to do some yoga, Breath Centered Yoga with Leslie Kaminoff is an interesting option - it's yoga with no down dogs, chatarunga, plank etc. - absolutely no strain on the wrists. It's not the most exciting practice, but I like it.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 08:31 PM  
bfit

Prevention 3-2-1 Circuit with Chris Freytag is intervals of cardio and intervals of toning; there are six circuits each with 3 minutes of cardio, 2 minutes of upper and/or lower body toning, and 1 minute abs/core. It's all very doable, there's not too much of any one thing, and easier modifications are shown. Also, there's Kathy Smith's Matrix Power Walk that uses light weights for most of the walking cardio and focuses on the core. Biggest Loser Power Walk has four 15 minute walking segments; two are just walking, one uses light weights, and the other one uses a medicine ball. The Kathy Smith one and the Biggest Loser one have a variety of moves with the weights and ball; it's not just raising your arms over your head and overworking your shoulders.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-16, 03:05 AM  
JENILU

Thankyou all so much for the ideas!! I DO have some of these!! I have Chris's 321 Circuit. I haven't checked it out in a while, being sure there were probably push ups in it. I'm so glad there's not! I also have Bootcamp Boogie (love) and Strength and Spirit. I am going to be dragging all these out and trying them. Thankyou so much.

I will be putting the Firm Ballroom Aerobics on my WL. possibly Project You, but i keep thinking there were pushups and crunches. I don't remember tho, I couldn't stand her Matrix Walk. I wish I could. There's only a few DVDs where she doesn't drive me nuts.
I will look into re-aquiring Life Force, but I looked at a clip and I remembered the modifier in that really getting on my nerves. Maybe I should just watch her and make up modifications, lol.

Oh and Eibhinn, i recently got a Leslie Kaminoff in a trade. I hope its that one!! That would be so nice. i have managed to find a few on youtube I can do and I own a few gentle and standing ones that I collected when I had surgery.

Thank y'all!!

Tags
anita barbero