Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-15, 12:25 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post

If he had made terrible mistakes in his youth and wanted to move on from them, I respect that, but I'm agog as to why he would trot out any reference to his military past to promote himself as a kettle bell instructor.
This is the part that bothers me. I believe in giving people grace as we all make mistakes but this part is mind boggling.

ETA: I personally know Navy Seals who are not violent people. My son's Scout Master is the most kind, wonderful man you would ever meet.
Old 05-25-15, 12:36 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I have PTSD due to violence, so any hint that someone is potentially violent and my brain goes all haywire and hypervigilent, no matter how illogical it is. I would not have read the blog post had I realized he described a violent attack in it,
I'm really sorry, Eibhinn. I'll edit my original post and title to add a trigger warning I'm sorry this is something you continue to suffer from.

eta: if any mod can help me add it to the title of the thread (I can't edit it myself) that would be appreciated.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 01:13 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
You're right, of course, that people shouldn't be permanently vilified for doing something wrong. I absolutely do believe in rehabilitation and redemption. My comment above is true, for me, but I probably should have qualified that it's probably only so because I am hypersensitive to violence and imagined potential threats. I have PTSD due to violence, so any hint that someone is potentially violent and my brain goes all haywire and hypervigilent, no matter how illogical it is. I would not have read the blog post had I realized he described a violent attack in it, because that's an image it's going to be hard to erase from my brain, difficult though it is to resolve it with the seemingly affable guy on screen in the Skogg videos. According to my adrenal system, no threat, no matter how imaginary, is too small to get revved up about (eyeroll).
I'm sorry Eibhinn for what happened in your past. I'm also conflicted. I also believe that people can change and mistakes shouldn't follow you forever. It sounds like Skogg is no longer violent and I like that he's been helping veterans for free.

I don't like that he lied for financial gain. I didn't even know that he even did this. I just read on VF that his kettlebell instructions were fantastic. They are really good. OTOH, what he wrote was so violent that I don't think I can get the image off my mind. So I don't think I can ever do his DVDs so it's a good thing that I only watched my sister's DVDs and never bought my own. But I'm the type that does not watch horror or violent movies and TV.
Old 05-25-15, 01:34 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
I'm really sorry, Eibhinn. I'll edit my original post and title to add a trigger warning I'm sorry this is something you continue to suffer from.

eta: if any mod can help me add it to the title of the thread (I can't edit it myself) that would be appreciated.
Thanks for adding that, but no need to apologize or feel bad. I can't and don't expect the world to tiptoe around to accommodate itself to my mental idiosyncrasies. I absolutely do appreciate all empathy and support that others offer, but life isn't easy for anyone, and ultimately it's my responsibility to deal with my own stuff and figure out a way to make things work for me. Which I'm doing reasonably well.

Probably not a terrible idea to add the warning though, since that was some pretty unexpected content on a kettlebell blog. The sudden appearance of sadistic torture actually made me think of that line from the movie Anchorman: "boy, that escalated quickly!"
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 01:40 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I had Skogg's original set back when I was doing kettlebell workouts. I ended up selling them. I didn't some of the exercises.

I was telling my ex-Marine DH about this "apology."

He just said, "Loser."
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 01:59 PM  
Jags

As SueB mentioned upthread, Skoggs claimed to be Special Ops as recent as January 2011. He mentions it in an email to VF-er Mizach and WWWendy.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...skoggs&page=14
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 02:14 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
As SueB mentioned upthread, Skoggs claimed to be Special Ops as recent as January 2011. He mentions it in an email to VF-er Mizach and WWWendy.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...skoggs&page=14
(*sigh*) So the apology is not 100% honest, in that he says he did not 'perpetuate' the claim/lie but he certainly did....this wasn't the marketing team from 15 years ago but him, personally, 4 years ago hawking his KB system.

C'mon, guy.
Old 05-25-15, 02:19 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post

You can edit the title if you "go advanced."
Old 05-25-15, 02:25 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

We shouldn't be witch hunting people or ruining their lives over small mistakes, especially those done pre adulthood. However, people who use such lies as marketing should definitely be exposed. That is the act of a conman, not someone who has moved beyond an indiscretion.

I barely know who Skoggs is, but what I do know of him- he knows only true way and he definitely markets to people who like to believe they are doing things the only right way. Con artists often target this type of market and I appreciate the exposure of con artists. And of course some people just like his workouts (or in other cases of con people, sometimes they have a product people just like.)

As for the people running around exposing people who claim to be navy seals, I am a bit torn. I'm sure some of the people exposed have mental health issues, but many of them are using it to bilk people out of money or goods, one way or another.

Sending sexual photos, shoplifting when you are a teen, and/or other stupid non intentionally harmful teen stuff, yeah, we are consuming this stuff in a way that is worse than the original event. Covering up crimes, lying for monetary gain, not protecting your children from predators, those are things that need to see the light of day.

His reaction to events seem to indicate poor character.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 02:30 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
You can edit the title if you "go advanced."
many thanks, DDJ.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor behaving badly, liars, michael skogg, navy seal, skogg, special ops