Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-13, 07:25 AM  
workoutjunkie

Ballet Body UB combined with traditional weight training?

I finally caved and got the BB Upper Body workout during Mary's sale. I'm itching to try it. But at the same time I'm afraid to give up my Cathe weight workouts. Has anyone combined these two different types of workouts or would it be counterproductive?
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 02:21 PM  
Sophie

Leah definitely has said that it would be counterproductive to the ballet body aesthetic results....there was a bit discussion about it when BBPS first came out. Hopefully someone can find the exact quote.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 02:31 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Leah definitely has said that it would be counterproductive to the ballet body aesthetic results....there was a bit discussion about it when BBPS first came out. Hopefully someone can find the exact quote.
Something about "he-man" arms.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 03:53 PM  
edensmom

This is Ballet Body not Leah's hour of he-man arms.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 04:31 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

There does seem to be a place for heavy lifting in Leah's world (someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm a newbie.) She seems to recommend sticking to light weight work for several weeks/months, then doing something completely different for a time to shake things up.

Maybe you could take a break from your Cathes and focus on BB-style arms for a few weeks, then switch back to Cathe and alternate them, month on, month off? I suppose it largely depends on your goals...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 04:36 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
There does seem to be a place for heavy lifting in Leah's world (someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm a newbie.) She seems to recommend sticking to light weight work for several weeks/months, then doing something completely different for a time to shake things up.
That's my understanding as well. I guess the methods could be combined if that's what one prefers, but I would be careful not to overtrain - BB might use light weights but it is designed to exhaust the muscles so Leah recommends the traditional 48-hour rest per body parts. So it might be best to, say, substitute BB for a Cathe workout rather than alternate Cathe and BB workouts on consecutive days.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 04:42 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I meant do Cathe for a month, then Leah for a month, or something similar. I think it's good to give your body a chance to adapt to one kind of training, then switch it up.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 04:45 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I meant do Cathe for a month, then Leah for a month, or something similar. I think it's good to give your body a chance to adapt to one kind of training, then switch it up.
Oh yes, that's what I would opt for personally as well. My (convoluted) suggestion was just that the OP might try to incorporate them into the same rotation if that's her preference
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 04:45 PM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
That's my understanding as well. I guess the methods could be combined if that's what one prefers, but I would be careful not to overtrain - BB might use light weights but it is designed to exhaust the muscles so Leah recommends the traditional 48-hour rest per body parts. So it might be best to, say, substitute BB for a Cathe workout rather than alternate Cathe and BB workouts on consecutive days.
I second that understanding and also second that Leah doesn't recommend working the same body part two days in a row, so it might be hard to do both Leah's upper body work AND Cathe heavy-weight work. Leah is not against heavy weights and recommends them during the 6-week "breaks" from Ballet Body training, so maybe try Ballet Body for a while, and then go back to Cathe. You won't lose as much as strength as you think. I've done it and didn't feel like I lost that much strength.

And I believe the "he-man" comment was in response to people asking Leah why she didn't work the biceps. Her response was that she focuses more on the tricep and rear shoulder because that produces the elongated look that she is after whereas working the biceps creates more of a "he-man" look. I'm not sure I agree with that comment, but that was the context.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 09:19 PM  
killoffsonny

Holy crap if you do ballet body upper body I don't see how or why you would need more but.............you may be super super advanced and strong.