Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-13, 11:32 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Inspiration from Gin Miller

You just have to make exercise apart of your life, and everything will fall into place after that. When you’re fit, everything’s better. There’s not one thing that doesn’t get better when you’re healthy.

Love Gin! She's 57, by the way!

Read more: http://spryliving.com/articles/five-...#ixzz2LSR6ysng

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:49 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks so much for posting! I love Gin

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:52 AM  
blzgrl

Such a nice interview and a great picture of her too! I started doing step after my third child was born in 1992. We were in Germany then, and I remember going to an Oktoberfest thing that had people demonstrating it. I ordered a step platform that came with a VHS. (Maybe from Collage. I don't remember.) I've been stepping ever since!
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:59 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Great article!

This quote is so refreshing:
So if we could reverse the reasons for exercise into a “feel-good” thing rather than a “look good thing,” I think people would stick with it more.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 12:32 PM  
horsemom2

I love Gin and her attitude but disagree with her advice to work as hard as possible. I have had too many injuries when pushing harder than I should have.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 03:56 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I think that's where the "as possible" part of the phrase comes in. Obviously, if you work harder than is possible for your body, you will experience breakdown. I think of "as hard as possible" as being the most that you can SAFELY do.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 04:23 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I think that's where the "as possible" part of the phrase comes in. Obviously, if you work harder than is possible for your body, you will experience breakdown. I think of "as hard as possible" as being the most that you can SAFELY do.
My hard as possible point can shift from minute to minute.

Barb S

ETA: the *as Possible* were my words, not Gin's
if I gave every workout my all, I would wind up in alot of pain.

Gin: I couldn’t imagine stopping. When I work out, I work out as hard as I can. I don’t just go through the motions…I give it my all. My advice to people is this: When you work out, don’t waste your own time. Do something extraordinary. Work as hard as you can. When you give something your all, it builds self-confidence and self-esteem, and it changes your physiology. When you exercise, you are turning back the clock and defying the aging process. And who doesn’t want that? I am 57 years old, but there are 27-year-olds in my classes who can’t keep up with me. It doesn’t matter what your age is—if you exercise, you will keep your body young. If you look at the women who have been in the fitness industry for 30 years, they have retarded the aging process. They are 60-year-old women and look like they’re 20.

Read more: http://spryliving.com/articles/five-...#ixzz2LThJZ0VK
Old 02-21-13, 08:24 AM  
Calistro

I like Gins message.

Working out as hard as you can, is subjective to me, as my hard is different from your hard. I suppose that means giving it your all, whatever that means, and that could be subjective too
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 09:04 AM  
dnna

I love Gin, love her workouts but I do think that her message in this interview is pretty flawed, at least to me. i think the message that at 60, you can look like you are 27, or 30 is really hard on the older woman. At 63, I have been through some serious body changes and I work out daily. I do not look 30. I cannot work out longer or harder, I have tried a lot of different workout trends.
I think for 63, I look great, I am active on a daily basis, I can lift weights and walk/run and have good muscles and stamina. I cannot compete with a 20 year old. I cannot look 20.
This is once again a very unrealistic demand on the older woman. i know Gin is 57, she is exceptional and fitness is her career, life.My body, even when young could not support that lifestyle.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 09:21 AM  
horsemom2

While doing Jessica Smith's dvds this morning, Jessica said something to the effect that working out to lose weight isn't as important as feeling well and energized after a workout.

This has been my workout goal for many years: to feel well.
I can give a few minutes of a workout my all but if I gave my whole workout my all, I would be exhausted the rest of the day, even if not injured. Worse yet, this kind of approach to exercise would create a dread and an excuse not to workout on days when feeling less energetic plus a sense of failure if I cannot perform when working-out. Most days, I cannot predict how hard I will be working out till I start moving and sensing how my mind and body are responding in that particular moment. I rather increase my self esteem by making workouts more fun and energizing and of course, SAFE.

I do not think an athlete and fitness professional's approach to exercise should be applied to the general public, especially in a published article.

Barb S