Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-12, 04:13 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Help! My neck is so sore and won't stop creaking! (barbell?)

Let me preface this by saying that I've never used a barbell until 4 days ago with Les Mills Pump. Day 2, I noticed my neck was sore and it kept feeling like it needed to 'pop'. Day 3, it was worse and I made a chiropractor appt for tomorrow because I was worried. By the end of Day 3, I was in tears because everytime I moved my neck in any direction, it would 'catch' and I could hear it crackling and popping no matter how small of a movement I was trying to make. It hurt so badly.

I am going to discuss this with my chiropractor tomorrow to see if he thinks it might be the barbell use. I didn't do Les Mills today and plan to suspend it until after I see my chiropractor.

I have been watching my form, but maybe that is not good enough?

ETA: I have also been very careful to make sure the bar is resting on the "meaty part" of my back. Not squarely on my shoulders and definitely *not* on my neck. It feels a little less creaky tonight (what would have been Day 4 of Pump). And I have more range of motion than I did yesterday. I am going to have my chiropractor look at it tomorrow and if it continues or gets worse, I will see my primary care doctor.
Old 02-07-12, 05:05 PM  
alisoncooks

Eeek!
Well, that sounds unpleasant. Let us know what your Chiro says -- I really want Pump right now, but that sounds scary!
(ETA: I've never used a barbell either.)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 05:08 PM  
katmom

I do not hold a barbell behind my neck! I hold it in front of my chest. This is why I did the original Body Pump workout with dumbbells.
Old 02-07-12, 05:18 PM  
shoegoddess

I don't use a barbell anymore. I have a wonky shoulder and I don't want to risk injury. I have enough trouble with it.
Hope your injury isn't anything serious.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:07 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I've never used a barbell until 4 days ago with Les Mills Pump. Day 2, I noticed my neck was sore and it kept feeling like it needed to 'pop'. Day 3, it was worse and I made a chiropractor appt for tomorrow because I was worried. By the end of Day 3, I was in tears because everytime I moved my neck in any direction, it would 'catch' and I could hear it crackling and popping no matter how small of a movement I was trying to make. It hurt so badly.

I am going to discuss this with my chiropractor tomorrow to see if he thinks it might be the barbell use. I didn't do Les Mills today and plan to suspend it until after I see my chiropractor.

I have been watching my form, but maybe that is not good enough?
Jennifer, this exact thing happened to me in August. I was freaking out because my neck was cracking non-stop. I went for an MRI and to an orthopedist and it turned out it was a cervical sprain and the soreness and cracking were due to the swelling that happens when you get a sprain. I thought it would never go away because it went on for months. Just recently, I realized that the soreness and cracking have stopped. So, it took a while, but it finally went away. If yours persists, you should see a doctor just to be sure it's nothing serious. The doctor told me to avoid impact such as running.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Sorry you're experiencing this, Jennifer!
Although I never had this exact issue, I dislike using a barbell, at least on the back of my neck. I just prefer using dumbbells.

Good luck at the chiropractor's!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 09:00 PM  
Cammie-Cam

I'd definitely get it checked out by a doctor. I'd also suggest if you do decide to go back to the Les Mills workouts to get a barbell pad...
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 10:34 PM  
westiemack

I started off using the barbell, and though I really liked the bb, I started using my dumbbells so my son could use the bb. I am continuing with the dumbbells, they are so much easier to deal with. I also really dislike heaving a heavy weight for squats, for example, over my head like that. On top of all that, I also find the bb uncomfortable sitting on my upper back like that.

I'm sorry you are feeling pain! If you are able to continue to workouts, try using dumbbells! I hope you feel better soon

Kathy

Disclosure: I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, but I'm only in it for the discount!
westiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 11:08 PM  
dela

Oh Jennifer, that sounds awful, I had some really severe neck pain that likely stemmed from kettlebells (likely just did them too often), stupidly I did nothing about it, but the pain went away in a little over a week. More recently when I had similar pain, after a few days I went to my chiropractor, he did an adjustment, it was a little scary how loud the pop was, but all the pain increasingly went away within the next few days. Next time, I'm going to him right away.

I do know when I have the BB on my shoulders for a while I'll get very stiff from it, I have a barbell foam pad which helps a lot though.

Hope all goes well at the chiropractor tomorrow, try to rest, I found sleeping on a foam pillow was the most comfortable for me.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 11:05 PM  
dela

Hey Jennifer, any relief from the chiropractor today? Hope you are feeling better today.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote