Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-16, 03:51 PM  
AprilCleo

Question Need Compute help

I have subscribed to Cathe Live since the beginning and I have never had a problem. I watch it on my Kindle Fire HD. Last month I had to get a new wireless router. I bought a netgear 59. Since then all of the Live class made after that time I have had problems with the picture quality, it pixilates a lot. The Live classes made prior to the new router I have no problem with the picture quality, just the new ones. I have always had problems on my laptop because it is so slow, but never problems on the Kindle. This is the only site I have problems with. What could be the problem?
AprilCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 03:34 PM  
AprilCleo

Bumping. Does anybody have a suggestions
AprilCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 04:35 PM  
Zenara25

Easier:
Of course make sure your using the low quality version of the cathe video. Besides the Kindle Fire HD, turn off the wifi on all other devices (tablets, cell phones, laptops, roku, etc) that use internet while using Cathe Live. Also turn off any desktop computers just in case also. Check speedtest.net to see what your download speed is. Check with your ISP to see if they can provide you with a free speed increase.

Harder:
Look into QOS setting specific to your router to see if you can make the cathe live streaming site a priority. If you have any apple devices and you don't want to update to the newest version block appldnld.apple.com and mesu.apple.com They are huge downloads And eat up your bandwidth/speed while downloading.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 04:45 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I was having a lot of problems a couple years ago and had a modem from the cable company. I don't have cable just wifi. Anyway, they changed up the settings a number of times. You may have changed which channel the wifi is streaming over and something in your house/neighborhood may be interfering (cordless phones, other people's wifi servers, etc.). I'm sure there is someone here who can explain this all better.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 05:08 PM  
Zenara25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
I was having a lot of problems a couple years ago and had a modem from the cable company. I don't have cable just wifi. Anyway, they changed up the settings a number of times. You may have changed which channel the wifi is streaming over and something in your house/neighborhood may be interfering (cordless phones, other people's wifi servers, etc.). I'm sure there is someone here who can explain this all better.
Yes great thought, the channel can make a huge difference if it changed with the new router...

Added: Also remembered that my Directv box was downloading shows (over wifi) when I was having problems with my Roku. Once I disabled that and Apple updates the problem went away.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 09:31 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

I'm not sure what a Netgear 59 is. I've worked with Netgear routers and they are usually really good.

(edited to add: if you haven't already tried it, try shutting down and restarting the Fire before you do all this other stuff. Sometimes it works.)

Do you have an app on your Fire so you can see what speed you are getting? If it is way off, you probably have a router problem. If the speed is good, but the video is still messing up, you either have a Fire problem or a Cathe's servers problem.

If the router has antennas on it, be sure that they are pointing towards the inside of your house and not out. Silly, but it helps.

If it has the Genie app, you should be able to look into the router and see what band your Fire is connecting to and whether everything in your house has bunched up on that band. If so, you might be able to prioritize your Fire to get preferential treatment.

If all else fails, restart everything. First the gateway (assuming you control it), then the router, then the Fire to be sure that they are all getting the best connection to each other.

Good luck!

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote