Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-08, 09:23 AM  
gwinter

How effective are Leslie Sansone dvds

I've been reading several threads about walking and the great results walking produces. I have several Leslie Sansone dvds (3 or 4 miles) that I've only done a couple times. I'm use to doing step, Cathe, Amy Bento cardio, so doing Leslie I felt it was such a down grade. Anyways, since the summer I've really lowered my intensity and I'm doing Ellen's Studio dvds, but I want to include Leslie. So, my question is - does Leslie's dvds work? I'm thinking about incorporating her dvds with Ellen's for a month and see where this goes.
gwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 09:37 AM  
rainbell

I used to do really long step routines........dancy, but with intensity, and was surprised when heat wave forced me to do Leslie 2 mile walks, and I had great results! I've read of others having similar experiences.

It reminds me of what instructors used to say about having to be in a comfortable zone to burn fat. Too intense meant you burned carbohydrates instead of your body's stored fat. The emphasis today seems to be on intense workouts, which feel great and increase your cardiac capacity, but don't necessarily keep you in that fat-burning zone.

Which is why cross-training is good. We should mix up our cardio routines, not just our strength routines.
rainbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 09:37 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Depends on what you mean by "work."

If by "work" you mean, do you lose weight doing them, then answer (for me!) is YES. I lose weight as well or better with Leslie than I do with Cathe (although I like mixing them up.,)

If by "work" you mean, do you feel good doing them, then the answer (for me!) is YES. One of the main reasons I work out is stress relief, and Leslie works very well for that because her chit-chat is always positive, and longer, steady, lower intensity cardio really is a great mood booster for me (although more choreography also reduces stress for me, in a different way, by keeping my mind FULLY OCCUPIED for awhile.)

If by "work" do you mean, improve your cardiovascular capacity, probably not, if you are used to doing more strenuous workouts. However, you might be surprised how little of that cardiovascular capacity you actually lose when you take it down a notch in intensity.

I'll be interested in hearing your report after a month of Leslie and Ellen!! I bet you are going to feel great.

And I bet you'll find that the fitness world doesn't fall apart when you lower the intensity for awhile.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 10:00 AM  
PhyllisG

A few months ago I really felt like I needed to take it down somewhat from the Cathe Step that I had been doing. So I got some Leslie's and now I really enjoy them. I haven't lost weight--didn't really need to--but my legs look more toned. Some times I think it is just the mixing it up. When I do go back and try a step w/o it doesn't seem like anything has been lost. Actually I feel better doing them. Never thought I would become a Leslie fan but I definitely have. Just ordered her new 5 day slimdown today . No dread, no stress and I walked 5 miles or whatever. Still doing Cathe and now Jari for strength.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 10:27 AM  
gwinter

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions and advice. I will definitely be doing a Leslie/Ellen rotation for a month and see what happens.
gwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 10:35 AM  
Snuckles

I'm toying with the idea of doing a squeeze/Leslie rotation myself. I'll do it for a month and see what kind of results I get. If I could lose these stubborn 10 lbs I'd be a happy camper.
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 10:35 AM  
Sara1000

This is my dilemma also. I have been mostly walking but am phasing in more intense workouts as well in order to get my cardio vascular fitness level up where it used to be.

I really prefer the non-choreography aspect of Leslie's workouts and I love Leslie, so I am adding a step to my Leslie workouts as described in some other recent threads. Something you might consider. I was surprised at how much just the 4 inch level added in intensity.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 11:00 AM  
Pykkalo

I was doing Leslie workouts all last summer, and lost several pounds (this was after doing Slim Series, Power 90, the FIRM, Turbo Jam, etc for several months and losing nothing. I think I must've been working too hard prior to that!)
Pykkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 11:05 AM  
juberann

How effective are Leslie workouts? In my opinion,VERY EFFECTIVE!! If you do nothing else,Leslie's workouts, done consistantly,will help you lose weight,no doubt about it!! In 2003,I lost 86 pounds in 13 months doing nothing but Leslie's 2-3 mile workouts and eating right! Now that she has higher intensity walks,that's even better Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 11:41 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

After spurning Leslie for years, I finally gave her a real chance this summer and I'm hooked I've not been able to do her on step (think it's because I have more of her faster stuff), but I up the intensity whenever I want: roundhouse kicks when she does forward kick, skaters for the sidesteps (ala Cathe or Charlene), big knees (Charlene) for the knee lifts. Leslie calms my nerves and is the right touch for cardio when life is crazy; she can be easy-going or Cathe-intense!

Now if I would just not eat so much, I'd have excellent results, too

Tags
1 mile jog, hardest leslie sansone, leslie sansone, leslie success