Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-17, 03:56 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Yes! I am shocked. I ordered it two days ago and it was originally scheduled to arrive in 5-7 days. It's supposedly out for delivery now. Theyndo take quite a while sometimes.

ETA: It just arrived. They just slapped a shipping label right on the actual package. Not even a plain brown box.
They should have put it inside a larger box to protect it...I"d check it over carefully.

What are you going to cook first? After the water test, my first try was hard boiled eggs using this recipe:

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cook...d-boiled-eggs/

Cleda suggested this recipe, and it is the simplest one I have seen.

Good luck!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 07:19 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Well, none of the recipes that came with it interest me. I'll probably use it for meats and stews during the winter. I'll research some recipes.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 07:31 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Well, none of the recipes that came with it interest me. I'll probably use it for meats and stews during the winter. I'll research some recipes.
Maybe something HERE would interest you.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 08:34 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
If you like hearty cooking, this book may appeal to you. I have it on my Kindle and we used it to make the ribs started in the IP for July 4 and it was a rave. I've made a few things and all were scrumptious:

Great Food Fast

My favorite websites for learning the ins, outs and basics inc. timings are:

www.pressurecookingtoday.com

www.hippressurecooking.com

I hope it is a bigger hit than the Supreme Pilates!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 09:22 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks, Pat!
Old 07-20-17, 07:07 AM  
sherry7899

I made two new to me Instant Pot recipes last night:

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com...range-chicken/

My DH and I really liked it. Our picky son ate it, but I don't know if he'd eat it again. I think next time I will cut the chicken into slightly larger pieces and add just a little more orange marmalade.

I also made jasmine rice for the first time. I've been making only brown rice for over twenty years. This rice came out like the white rice from Chinese restaurants. It was REALLY good. I hardly ever eat white rice, but I'll make an exception for this recipe. I bought a bag of jasmine rice at Trader Joe's since they have great prices. I do belong to BJ's, and they have it there, but we don't need such a huge bag:

http://www.apinchofhealthy.com/insta...-jasmine-rice/

It is really important to rinse the rice very well. I also followed her suggestion to turn the Instant Pot OFF (not to warm) when releasing the pressure. This prevents the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

I made the rice first and put it in a bowl with a lid that seals on and then made the chicken.

It occurred to me that on nights when I'm doing recipe combinations, it would be nice to have a second insert pot. Does anyone else have more than one?

Sherry

ETA: Joni, I don't think I've used a single recipe that came with the Instant Pot!

What kind of soups/stews/chili do you like? I've printed out tons of recipes. I'd be glad to post links. Mine are either chicken, turkey or vegetable. I don't cook red meat.

Old 07-20-17, 02:33 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Sherry, I'm probably limited for recipes because I don't eat starchy carbs (grains, potatoes, rice, beans, etc.) or sugar/honey/maple syrup, etc. Basically, I eat protein and veggies. I eat very few soups and stews now and rarely actually make a recipe. I'll probably use it to make ribs, chicken, pork, etc. Hmmm. Maybe it wasn't a wise purchase.
Old 07-20-17, 03:57 PM  
sherry7899

Joni-would the way you eat fall under paleo or Whole 30? There are a ton of recipes for the Instant pot for both.

Sherry

Old 07-20-17, 05:15 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Yes, Sherry, I have a second pot liner for my 8 qt. I bought it & a glass lid directly from the company. I make yogurt so the insert is in the refrigerator many times when I want to cook.

I like this recipe for pork chops, but I must confess I just use a can of mushrooms:

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cook...ushroom-gravy/
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 06:45 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you, Kay! I don't have the yogurt function on mine, but there will be nights when I want to make two things and don't want to have to wait for the pot to cool down so I can clean it and make the second course. We don't eat a ton of yogurt and I doubt our son would like the homemade, so I didn't get the IP with that function.

I found recipes for fruit compote made from either strawberries or blueberries that looks good. I may make it tomorrow to have on Greek yogurt or steel cut oats. If the recipe turns out well I will post a link.

Sherry

Tags
instant pot, nutritional yeast, steel cut oats