Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-22, 12:48 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
that dumbbell price/condition reminds me of similar ads i see on craigslist - aren't they ashamed of posting something like that?
You’d think so! I think Goodwill believes they can charge EBay prices, but sometimes they go overboard. It might sell when that color is 50% off, but I don’t think I’d pay $35 either.
Old 02-23-22, 04:48 PM  
wendug

Took a trip to the thrift store today as I had some things to drop off. They had so many DVDs, but they weren't in any order so it took me a while to look through them. They had some Leslie's, Malibu Pilates, Jillian Michaels, Biggest Loser and others that I really didn't want. At this point I'm basically looking for Firm , FitPrime, or KCM workouts missing from my collection, and those are hard to come by while thrifting.

I did, however, pick up 2 pairs of jeans (Talbots, Kut from the Kloth) and amazingly both pairs fit and won't need to be hemmed. I'm shocked! There are no dressing rooms to try on stuff so I took a gamble on these jeans. It must be my lucky day as jeans are usually all over the map when it comes to sizing, even within the same brand, so for both pairs to fit is a miracle.
Old 02-23-22, 05:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Wow Wendy, I could never buy jeans without a try on! I was really bummed during the early months of the pandemic after Goodwill reopened but still had their fitting rooms closed; I'm thankful they are open again now.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 05:03 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Wow Wendy, I could never buy jeans without a try on! I was really bummed during the early months of the pandemic after Goodwill reopened but still had their fitting rooms closed; I'm thankful they are open again now.
I could never buy jeans without trying them on. They are finally opening two new thrift stores in my town-one is a Goodwill and one is part of a chain that originated in PA, but I am blanking on the name. I am hoping they have a good selection. The two thrift stores that are already in my town both stink. I stopped going.

ETA: The one I could not recall is Second Avenue Thrift

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 05:19 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Oh, I've bought several pairs of jeans from this thrift store that didn't fit that I ended up donating back to them. Since they only cost a few bucks it is no big loss. It's for a good cause so if they don't fit, well they can make more money by reselling them after I donate them back (with the price tags still on them so they don't even have to do that!) But it is definitely nice to get lucky with jeans that fit!
Old 02-23-22, 05:23 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I could never buy jeans without trying them on. They are finally opening two new thrift stores in my town-one is a Goodwill and one is part of a chain that originated in PA, but I am blanking on the name. I am hoping they have a good selection. The two thrift stores that are already in my town both stink. I stopped going.

ETA: The one I could not recall is Second Avenue Thrift
I hope the new thrift stores in your town have some great finds for you. I am lucky that the thrift store close to me has brought me some good deals. It is huge and you have to wade through a bunch of stuff, but there are some treasures to be found.
Old 02-23-22, 06:30 PM  
Leonana

Wendy, that’s great you found two pairs that fit!

Our Goodwills still have the dressing rooms closed. They allow returns for seven days and give store credit. At the beginning of the pandemic I was returning about half the clothes I bought. But I’ve learned which brands fit me best and the sizes.

For jeans, I bring a tape measure and measure the waist. I put them up against me to judge length. Blouses are a bit easier to judge.

I will admit sizing can be tricky. Two items the same size in one brand may not fit the same. Especially since newer clothing runs bigger now. I still return some, about one fourth of what I buy. And I don’t buy as much as I used to, which is a good thing!

I have to admit I don’t know why the dressing rooms aren’t open. It’s not like I’m in one of the more cautious states. I wonder if it’s due to lack of employees. The last email newsletter I received was asking shoppers to apply for a career at Goodwill.
Old 02-23-22, 07:08 PM  
Vantreesta

The thrift store I usually go to started a no return policy around the time the pandemic started. I think the dressing rooms are open though. I haven't bought anything that I felt I needed to try on in quite a while though. Their prices have also gone up the last couple years. Paperbacks are now $2.50 and hardcover are $3.50. they used to be like 75¢ and $1.50. clothes have gone up to, I think, $7.99 unless marked, and marked means it will be more, not less. I think DVDs are $2 but I'm not remembering for sure.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 07:14 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Wendy, that’s great you found two pairs that fit!

Our Goodwills still have the dressing rooms closed. They allow returns for seven days and give store credit. At the beginning of the pandemic I was returning about half the clothes I bought. But I’ve learned which brands fit me best and the sizes.

For jeans, I bring a tape measure and measure the waist. I put them up against me to judge length. Blouses are a bit easier to judge.

I will admit sizing can be tricky. Two items the same size in one brand may not fit the same. Especially since newer clothing runs bigger now. I still return some, about one fourth of what I buy. And I don’t buy as much as I used to, which is a good thing!

I have to admit I don’t know why the dressing rooms aren’t open. It’s not like I’m in one of the more cautious states. I wonder if it’s due to lack of employees. The last email newsletter I received was asking shoppers to apply for a career at Goodwill.
That's nice that you can return items at Goodwill. Unfortunately the thrift store I visit is all sales final. I really just buy a few pair of jeans each year to replace some worn out ones. I don't have much luck with shirts/blouses while thrifting. I won't buy shoes or workout gear second hand unless I see the tags are still attached. And that is smart that you take a tape measure with you when looking for clothes. I do carry a metal tape measure in case I need to measure furniture (I'm always on the hunt for a nice mid-century modern bookcase). I could always throw a fabric tape measure in my bag, too. It's good to be prepared.
Old 02-23-22, 09:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Yeah, our Goodwill did away with returns too - but I'd rather have open dressing rooms and no returns!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thrift store finds