Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-20, 01:51 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Nuggie's Auntie, I was just researching Jade Teta's program and was seriously thinking of trying it. Without breaking any rules here, can you share the portions or principles of his program that you're incorporating? I'm thinking of buying it but didn't know if it's worth it or if I should just try to put something similar together myself. Thanks!
First of all, I'm sorry you're struggling--we can all relate!

Metabolic Renewal has you take a quiz in the beginning to determine your type--you're probably a type 5 (perimenopause.) I think I'm now a 6--which is just having gone through menopause. The program has workouts that are about 15-20 minutes long. It's HIIT. The workouts are pretty good, but I found Jade kind of irritating so I don't do the workouts. (I do think he seems like a love in real life, very teddy bear type guy, but somehow in the workouts I found him annoying.) Then he recommends lots of walking. He says walking is crucial--more important than the HIIT workouts.

The eating plan is pretty low carb, avoid dairy, how much carb you can have depends on your type. The reason I don't follow the diet is because he wants you to eat three meals a day and some snacks depending on your type, but I don't do well with frequent eating. Like hotncmom, I really believe in IF and it works really well for me. Plus, it's free and saves time! You can PM me if you want more info, since I've already violated diet guidelines.

Apart from that, basically you just need to manage your stress. 'Just.' haha. I know it's tough, but the emphasis on walking and being kinder to myself was really key. I was already walking a lot (I have a dog) but now I let myself go at a slower pace. Before I always pushed myself. I've been pushing myself in every area for YEARS. I'm a classic recovering overachiever. My son and I were listening to a podcast about the benefits of idleness yesterday. He told me I wasn't any good at it and I need to be more like him. I'm working on it!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 02:59 PM  
donnamp

Hi - Thanks for your kind words, everyone! Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 03:18 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Metabolic Renewal has you take a quiz in the beginning to determine your type--you're probably a type 5 (perimenopause.) I think I'm now a 6--which is just having gone through menopause. The program has workouts that are about 15-20 minutes long. It's HIIT.
Thanks for the info! I took his quiz, and yes, I'm a type 5. Do people who follow his program eventually put weight back on or is it a pretty stabilizing program that's actually sustainable? For $37, it doesn't seem that outrageous.

I have been dialing up my workouts lately, in terms of intensity and duration, mostly because I've had a lot of free time because of the pandemic and being unemployed. And boom, my middle section is much worse. So I'm curious to see if there's any changes by increasing walking and dialing back the workouts. Hmm.

With my anemia, I've had to really concentrate on iron-rich foods over the past year (iron supplements wrecked my intestines) so I've had to eat more than I had in previous years. I'm a bit scared to dial back foods now since I tend to get really bad headaches when I don't eat enough carbs or frequently. I also don't have a gallbladder anymore, so my digestion has been pretty crappo. Perhaps I should revisit IF again, I did do well doing that about four years ago. Not sure why I stopped doing that actually.

Perimenopause has hit me like a ton of bricks that I just never saw coming. It was like I turned 45 and my old self just vanished into thin air. Sigh.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 03:23 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Hugs to you, Donna!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 03:25 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitloon View Post
I am not in menopause yet, but my ob/gyn did test my levels and I'm in the beginning of perimenopause so I'm trying to be as prepared as I can.

With that disclaimer, I have just discovered Pahla B (https://pahlabfitness.com/) and I know there are threads about her on this board. She has many YouTube videos and a support group on Facebook called The Killer B Hive. Her target audience is women in menopause and/or over 50. Her advice is actually less intense workouts but on a consistent basis.

Hope that helps. I'm sure more experienced ladies than I can chime in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I would definitely check out Pahla B, as fitloon mentioned. She has a few free guides and lots of videos and information on You Tube. At first you may feel that you are not going to get results by doing less but for some people that does seem to be the ticket. As Pahla B explains, as we get older, go through peri and meno, our bodies don't recover as quickly as they used to. This is perceived as stress in the body which for some people causes weight gain/inability to lose weight. Additionally, the slower recovery time also may mean that we are able to do fewer workouts if we try to go all out all the time. Pahla's formula seems to be one "push" day a week, two light/active rest days per week and 4 moderate days per week. Although she is very chatty in her videos she does offer lots of encouragement and good information.

She also puts out a free mini-challenge each week - basically a rotation using her You Tube videos. She posts two rotations -one for people looking for weight loss and one for people looking for body shaping.

That is just one suggestion, others may have different experiences.

Donna
I'll definitly look at her offerings.
I have to admit that doing less intense workout worries me a little bit as I'm worried of losing some strength and cardio capacity.

But as I read the many posts in his thread, it looks a key to weight loss seems to be to move everyday instead of doing longer workouts 3-4 times/week.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 03:33 PM  
lavna

Thanks for all the replies so far! I love reading all your posts. It's good to know I'm not alone.
I really appreciate it.

I might not be able to answer all of them (writing in English takes a lot of time as it's not my first language!) but I'll try to respond/react as often as I can.

What I'm realizing is that food is still very important. I like the comment that said that not all calories are equal. Moving more during the day seems key also.

Nathalie
Old 05-26-20, 03:36 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I have been dialing up my workouts lately, in terms of intensity and duration, mostly because I've had a lot of free time because of the pandemic and being unemployed. And boom, my middle section is much worse. So I'm curious to see if there's any changes by increasing walking and dialing back the workouts. Hmm.
This is so interesting. It goes in the same direction as others have said: doing less intense workouts might be better.
Old 05-26-20, 03:48 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I find the only thing that works for me is intermittent fasting. Also, as Demeris mentioned, not all calories are created equal! I really believe that our hormones determine our weight, it's not just calories in, calories out. And I don't mean sex hormones, but insulin, ghrelin, glucagon, etc. Different foods will affect those hormones differently.

I don't follow his program to the letter, but I have really appreciated the work of Jade Teta. He's written a program called Metabolic Renewal which addresses these issues. His 'muse' for this program was his own mother, who was struggling with weight gain during menopause. He admits he had been very dismissive of women who claimed they were following the plan he had outlined for them, but they were still gaining weight. He assumed they were misreporting their compliance. Once he worked with his mom, he realized his own arrogance! I really appreciated that perspective, because I think a lot of people assume women are just not being compliant with diet and exercise, when really more is going on than we realize.

Basically, he emphasizes the importance of stress reduction. Our unique hormone profiles in this season of life make us very stress reactive, and elevated stress hormone cortisol (again, a hormone!) makes losing weight very difficult. Prolonged intense exercise also elevates cortisol, and like donna says above, we react to stress and recover more slowly as we get older.

What worked when we were younger simply doesn't work anymore. Jade recommends short metabolic workouts ~3x/week, and lots of leisurely movement (slow outdoor walks, especially.) He suggests other stress-reduction techniques.

He also says we have to play around with those recommendations to see what works for us. This is the frustrating part. I'm on a Facebook group for the program, and while I don't follow it closely, I do try to implement some of the principles. It's great to have the support of the group. Some women follow the program to the letter and post that they are frustrated that they aren't getting the results that they want. That's when the community helps them trouble shoot and tweak their diet/exercise/movement, etc. to help them find what works for them.

I think the hardest thing for me has been accepting that what worked before just doesn't work anymore. It's still my instinct to do 60 minute, intense workouts 6 days a week because that's what I enjoy and what gave me good results (in every sense of the word) in the past. But I cannot handle that anymore, in any way.

One woman on the group said, "my body is a stranger to me now, and it's like I have to get to know her again." I couldn't agree with that more!
I agree with you about the effect of food on our hormones. The challenge is to find how food affects them! I'm reading the Hormone cure by Sara Gottfried and tried some of the things she recommends but I haven't seen any effects yet.

I'm going to look into Jade Teta. Seems interesting. I like that he talks about the effect of stress on our bodies.

I tried IF some years ago but after a while, it stopped working. And my hunger didn't seem to pass like it did in the beginning. It almost seems as if my body considered that IF was stressful! (stopping here to respect forum rules)

I really like your last comments on accepting that what used to work doesn't anymore and that our body is a stranger that we have to know again. It's not easy to do though!

Nathalie
Old 05-26-20, 05:13 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
I gained 30 + lbs at menopause and I don’t know what to do anymore! I have a big menopot (I look as if I’m pregnant!). I went from a size 10 to a size 14 in 2 years and the weight is still creeping on.

A little bit of context : My last period was 2 years ago so I guess I’m post menopausal but I don’t think my hormones are stable yet as I still have hot flashes. I’m on HRT but the correct dosage is hard to find. I lost some weight between 2015 and 2017 but since about 2018, it started creeping back on and as of today, I’ve gained 30 + lbs. I’ve always been very conscious about what I eat and I try to follow the food guide and the generally given advice to avoid putting on weight. I stay in shape and do Cathe workouts 3 times per week. My sleep is not very good though and I wake-up often during the night (I’m on a waiting list to be tested for sleep apnea). I had some blood tests in the last year (for diabetes, thyroid, cortisol) and everything is normal.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas/experiences that could give me hope regarding this weight gain. Maybe I need to make some changes in my lifestyle or the way I workout (ex. : should I exercise longer, more often, less cardio, more cardio, etc). I don’t think that this is only a vanity problem as a 30 lbs weight gain on my 5’3" frame, especially around the waist, can’t be very healthy. I sometimes feel as if my metabolism needs a boost! I know that I can’t expect to lose all the weight that I’ve gained but being able to lose some of it would be great for my health, my morale and my wallet! Any advice would be welcome.

TIA
Nathalie
I like on youtube and facebook, Flipping Fifty with Debra Atkinson. Good advise and free workouts
Old 05-26-20, 06:37 PM  
Tugger31

There are some key things that have helped me, in no particular order....drinking more water, throwing specific workout rotations out the window b/c they caused too much stress and increased cortisol is not my friend. I do sometimes like to follow a general plan but I don't hold myself to it or stress if life gets in the way. I now do just walking, yoga, Jessica and some barre. I do try do something active at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes. I have cut back anything with caffeine after 3 pm as it never affected asleep but now it does. The biggest thing as other have already said is diet consistency and for me that is Intermittent Fasting with an emphasis on eating less of a certain type of food category. The weight loss when all of these are in play is not quick but it is steady.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intermittent fasting, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, over 50