Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-20, 03:28 PM  
ellaenchanted

I would like to be more active on here but no one seems to like or do the workouts I do. I do a lot of Pahla B, Tone It Up app, and other YT videos. I always have Leslie and Jessica Smith sprinkled in but the don't really seem to be talked much anymore either. I even like outdoor walking/running programs and don't see much of that. I got a subscription for BBOD in March since I knew I would be working at home for a long while.

I guess, I would love to see more threads where people are following programs and discussing certain aspects of them - not necessarily a daily check-in.

I have since gone on to workout-specific groups and reading otherfitness forums.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 03:45 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Good to see you posting counterclockwise!

Jane looking forward to having you share in your journey back!
Thank you!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 03:51 PM  
counterclockwise

Thanks for the Fit Body by Julia rec!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 02:45 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Welcome back, everyone who's been away!

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
This is Video Fitness, which means we talk about working out at home rather than a gym.
And we've had discussions about things in the gym, even when the subjects haven't been easily transferable to a typical home setup. We also discuss other things, like yoga workshops or exercising outdoors without listening to exercise-related media. (I realized some time ago that one of our long-running check-ins is based on endurance events, typically outdoor activities for which participants often train outdoors, not exclusively at home with videos.)

One thing that I've always liked about VF is that we can also discuss these things, and neither forum leadership nor the general community has banished these discussions. There's usually at least some level of "transfer" to more video-based topics.

Quote:
The formats used to deliver workouts to us have changed; first it was VHS, then DVD, now streaming. But it's still video, so if you want to talk about a streaming workout, a DVD, or even an old VHS, it's all good!
During the transition from VHS to DVD, there was actually at least one post asking if "Videofitness" should change its name (because "video" became used for VHS in a way that it wasn't used for DVDs). I'm glad that we never became "DVDfitness." (Anyway, even now, VHS workouts that were never released in DVD or later formats still appear in our discussions. )

Let's talk!
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 05:51 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
I guess, I would love to see more threads where people are following programs and discussing certain aspects of them - not necessarily a daily check-in.
I really like that idea. For example, I'm using LIIFT4, but on a modified rotation - I'm not going to be doing the same workout as everyone else every day, but I'd spend time in a LIIFT4 thread.

I love Jessica too, so if you start a thread on her workouts, I'll drop in!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 08:20 AM  
DCW

I loved finding a group of folks who like to exercise!!!

I never learned many sports so a weight training class in HS opened up a whole new world. Exercise that isn't a sport. I feel in love and really cemented my exercise for enjoyment.

Fast forward and I found DVDs with Essentrics. Wintertime and island backdrops, I found a new way to exercise and enjoy working out at home.

WFH, coronavirus, and rec center closed, I treasure my DVDs and VF more and more.

Luv y'all!!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 11:08 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I never learned many sports so a weight training class in HS opened up a whole new world. Exercise that isn't a sport. I feel in love and really cemented my exercise for enjoyment.
Yes, this! I have never been very interested in sports. I like to watch many sporting events, but I never enjoyed participating. I'm just not really a competitive person, and I was always turned off by the competition aspect of sports. I'm so thankful I discovered fitness. I really love being fit and active in a capacity other than competitive sports.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 12:19 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Just like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc. have scattered our attention away from big movie releases and TV series premieres ("cultural bonding events" in some sense), so has the move to streaming, both free and paid. And hence, less "collective" excitement and shared experience relative to the somewhat meager amount of stuff that was coming out on VHS/DVD by a small but well-followed cohort of fitness instructors. Sign o' the times! I guess my ~20 years of vidiocy means I have already collected enough DVDs and audio downloads that I don't need to buy anything much so supplementing with some YouTube and podcasts is plenty as-is. And I see few reasons to subscribe to a streaming service of a beloved instructor if I already own 80% of what I like from them that also happens to be on DVD... I still enjoy coming to VF for encouragement and tips and am hoping my vintage take on things will spur folks to keep movin'! That's all that really matters -- as my husband and I say, when you stop walking, you stop walking...
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 11:52 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
I guess, I would love to see more threads where people are following programs and discussing certain aspects of them - not necessarily a daily check-in. I have since gone on to workout-specific groups and reading otherfitness forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I really like that idea. For example, I'm using LIIFT4, but on a modified rotation - I'm not going to be doing the same workout as everyone else every day, but I'd spend time in a LIIFT4 thread. I love Jessica too, so if you start a thread on her workouts, I'll drop in!
I like this idea too. Years ago before BBOD, the Beachbody message board had groups of people doing the same workout program. It was good motivation until the board got overwhelmed by coaches. Major annoyance:

Poster 1: Hi. I'm going to start Slim Series on Monday. Anybody want to join me?

Poster 2 about a minute later: Hi. I'm a coach. We have people in our group doing Debbie workouts. Come join us.

Hidden Message: Since I'm a coach, I know you really don't want to start a specific group here on the message board now do you? Come on now. You know this is not really a good idea. Come on over so I can convince you that the only thing missing in your life right now is Shakeology at $4 per serving and not a good source of protein at that price. The price is actually really good despite the protein thing because Shakeology is magic, the same magic you will have in your life if you stop trying to do your own groups on the message board and come to mine.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 01:29 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I like this idea too. Years ago before BBOD, the Beachbody message board had groups of people doing the same workout program. It was good motivation until the board got overwhelmed by coaches.
This is so true! I used to enjoy the Beachbody message board, but it's been years since I've seen any actual discussion on there. It's mostly coaches and a few trolls.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
absent vfers, ifit, new members, tommy rivs puzey, vf activity