Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-16, 01:15 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Washing machine recommendations?

Actually, I could say this is slightly on-topic because we do need to wash our workout clothes, right?

So this morning our washing machine died. Anyone own a machine they love? We're open to top- or front-loading, although DH prefers top because he hates bending over (and the layout of our laundry room won't allow us to raise the machine). Our budget would be mid- to high-end. Thanks in advance!

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 02:55 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

We bought a GE front loader that has a built in base so a little higher. That might work for you. We've had it a couple years now and no issues. Loads take longer to wash in a front loader. Otherwise we were looking at Speed Queen traditional top loader.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 03:38 PM  
Erica H.

We just bought a Speed Queen top loader and love it.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 05:40 PM  
BunnyHop

We've had a GE top loading type without an agitator sticking up in the middle. Not sure what you call that, exactly. I don't want to jinx ourselves by bragging on it, but it's been a workhorse. Not having the agitator means you can wash comforters and stuff like that. The washer is pretty large and can handle big loads.
Old 07-02-16, 05:43 PM  
wendug

Our washing machine died around Christmas last year. When we went looking for a new one, we went against the grain and went for a machine with NO bells and whistles. We've been told by repair people that the more computerized the machine is, the more chances of it breaking down. So, we ended up with your basic top load Hotpoint washer and it works like a charm!
Old 07-02-16, 06:43 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

My Whirlpool top loader has been running like a champ for over 15 years!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 08:25 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Front-Loader v. Top-Loader

Not to hi-jack this thread, but piggy-back: What made you get a front-loader or a top-loader, if you had a preference to one or the other?

OP: Here is a previous thread for top-loader rec's: Off-Topic OT: Washer/Dryer recs?

I live in a rental, so I'm not in the market for a washer/dryer myself. But my rental has a fairly new model Whirlpool top-loader washer/dryer, both of which needed to be serviced in the past couple years, and they were a little under 10 years old.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 08:49 PM  
sciencelady

Still stand by the Speed Queen I recommended in the previous thread - works great!
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 09:04 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
Still stand by the Speed Queen I recommended in the previous thread - works great!
Good to know ScienceLady. I'm curious...why a top-loader instead of a front-loader?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 09:46 PM  
BunnyHop

When we moved into this house, it came with one of those notorious Maytag front loaders that eventually got recalled. We never had trouble with ours til the recall business had come and gone, but it did eventually poop out.

It taught me that I really enjoyed the convenience of being able to wash things like comforters and bedspreads easily at home, so when we went looking for a replacement, we got a GE top loader with the same ability. Wasn't cheap, but it's been going strong for a good many years now.