Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-15, 05:54 PM  
cherimac

As much as I despised Gone Girl, I really liked The Girl on the Train. I thought the writing was better, characters not so one dimensional, and way less bad language.
Old 12-03-15, 06:52 PM  
Loriann

My favorites were The Nightingale and The Boys in the Boat.

I also enjoyed The Girl on the Train much more than Gone Girl.

My least favorite was 800 Grapes. I felt like I was reading a made-for-TV movie script. Tons of stereotypes and things that would not happen in real life.
Lori
Old 12-03-15, 11:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

The worst: The Ancient Oceans of Central Kentucky. A book group selection that was positively dreadful

My favorites:
All the Light you Cannot See
Just Mercy-Brian Stephenson
We are all completely Besides ourselves-Karen Joy Fowler
The Boys in the Boat-Daniel James Brown
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 12:52 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My favorite by far was Coppermine by Keith Ross Leckie, couldn't put it down! I read a few mediocre books, but nothing I really disliked.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 12:58 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

hmmm.....
I read A LOT

fiction
top worst:
50 shades of ohdeargodIspent$on this?!
(seriously, anything AO3 is better)
(actually, stepping in warm cat barf might be better)
never finished it

best:
anything by Seanan McGuire aka Mira Grant
wonderfully intricate urban fantasy under the first name and scifi/horror under the other

I highly recommend the October Daye series

non fiction
best:
Come As You Are
tied with this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Key_...age_of_America

worst:
huh
I'll have to think on that

how about "guilty pleasures"?
AO3 *blush*
Old 12-04-15, 09:25 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Oh, I forgot about Girl on the Train - it was a thumbs up from me - it definitely held my attention and kept me reading. I love Kate Morton's books, I am not sure if I ever read The Forgotten Garden, though. I do have her latest on hold for myself at the library.

I started reading Wayward Pines, but then watched the series, and I couldn't read it in any more. That often happens to me. I should know better....90% of the time, I'd rather read it than watch it!

Donna
Oh if you like Kate Morton's style then I highly recommend The Forgotten Garden. It's in my top 20 favorite books of all time!

Ha I was the opposite with WP. I watched the first episode of the series, and then found out it was a book trilogy. So I started reading the books, got hooked, and then ditched the show. Someday I'll have to go back and watch it to see how the series compares to the books (and I do love me some Matt Dillon....so handsome )

Quote:
fiction
top worst:
50 shades of ohdeargodIspent$on this?!
(seriously, anything AO3 is better)
(actually, stepping in warm cat barf might be better)
never finished it
Oh dear yes. I had the same reaction to [I]50 Shades[/I]. I got a few chapters in and seriously wanted to kick myself for spending $$ on it. If it had been a paperback and not a kindle, I would have thrown that thing in the trash!

But now I am curious... what does AO3 stand for?
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 08:28 PM  
Sandrine

Best: (and biggest surprise since I have always thought I didn't like science fiction ) Station Eleven. Well-written, interesting story.

Worst: a book of short stories chosen by my book discussion group. It stunk so badly that I apparently have blocked the name of the author and the title from my memory. Thank goodness. Bleh.

Honorable mention for the Dame Frevisse mystery series, introduced to me by the Vf reading thread!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 09:30 PM  
MsThistlebottom

This year I started listening to audiobooks during my work commute and on long road trips. My favorites this year: Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham, Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty, and Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris.

Earlier this year I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, and it completely changed my approach to decluttering and organization. I'm still in the process, but the categories that I've purged and organized have stayed organized and tidy, which is saying a lot!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 10:32 PM  
JezthePuff2

Hmm...most of the books I read this year were pretty good. I guess my "duds" would be Everybody Rise by Stephanie Clifford and The Pocket Wife by Susan Crawford.

I'm enjoying the Inspector Gamache series (I have another installment ready on my MP3 player) as well as Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mystery series.

For general fiction, I'm working my way through Diane Chamberlain's books. She really holds my interest.

A couple of my favorite books this year that were a complete surprise were The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters and The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. I guess I was surprised by the content, and in both cases, the writing was excellent.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 01:39 AM  
RachelW

disappointing duds:
The life-changing magic of tidying up : the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing by Marie Kondo

I actually loved this book! I was working so hard to complete the big clean out. She said you should do it all at once. I never finished because it was so much work. And kids. Mostly kids.