Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-15, 03:18 PM  
lorajc

Still Need Help With My Hamstring Injury Please??

Okay - I pulled it real bad on Jan 3rd when I stepped back funny and my leg sort of dragged on the carpet and I felt a sharp twinge in my hammy and pulled it.

I took some time off not doing anything on it and have been using a TENS unit on it and foam rolling it, but it is still not better and here it is mid Feb and it is only VERY slightly better.
Old 02-17-15, 03:48 PM  
Yelly

I don't have any experience with your injury, and I think it would be irresponsible of me to suggest anything, other than you really should see a doctor, and listen to their advice. Please forgive me if you've already done so, I just forget if you mentioned that before?

It sounds like you need a hug, and I wish I could give you one! Take a deep breath, and please don't panic. If I were you, I would honestly not do any kind of exercise for as long as it took to get better. That's just me though, and I tend to err on the side of caution. I know that forcing yourself to be sedentary is such a hard thing to do, being that workouts are also a stress-reliever, and you probably need that right now. It just really sounds like your body needs a complete break in order to heal. I'm really sorry to say that, because I'm sure it has to be so frustrating for you.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.
(((hugs)))
Old 02-17-15, 04:04 PM  
Sophie

I do have experience with this injury and unfortunately in my case it took a lot more than one month to heal. And in reality, a hamstring injury close to the attachment (at either end) can be a chronic, slow-to-heal situation. Six weeks, which you are at, is not out of the way.

You are already doing the right thing by backing off when it reaches the point or irritation, and in all likelihood this will be a continual process as you try out different activities to see what you can tolerate.

Where exactly is the pain and during what type of movement?

As usual, I have to give the usual responsible VF response of "please see a professional" as we can only share our experiences of healing through something similar. Although as I said earlier, still feeling pain during activity is not unusual six weeks later, the fact that it is still impeding you this much is a good argument for seeing a professional.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Old 02-17-15, 04:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I agree with Sophie & Yelly, see a professional. Find out what you should and shouldn't be doing, you want to avoid activities that could prolong your recovery.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 02-17-15, 06:24 PM  
lorajc

deleted
Old 02-17-15, 06:27 PM  
lorajc

Oh and when you say close to the attachment....does that mean at the upper most aspect of the hammy.....cuz that's exactly where mine is.....it was down lower, but I pretty much healed the lower part with my TENS.
Old 02-17-15, 07:05 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post

Help me please....I promise I will listen to all advise even if it's not what I want to here.

...I'm so frustrated with this and it's really getting me down.
Through personal experience, I can definitely understand not having the money for yet another doctor's visit. But what if someone suggested something and it just made the injury worse? What if the injury is more serious than you think? I know saying that doesn't solve anything, and is certainly not what you want to hear, and that's why I feel so badly for you.

I deal with a chronic condition that makes me a perpetual start-and-stop exerciser. This is something that goes completely against my nature and I absolutely HATE it, but I've been forced to accept it and live with it. I have compassion for you because I feel your pain. If you're unable to lay off exercise completely until this heals, then I still believe that seeking medical attention is the wisest advice, since your injury is bothering you so badly. I don't say that as a simple way to dismiss you, but out of concern, and not wanting your injury to get even worse.

Hopefully you'll get advice from others with experience in this kind of hamstring injury. I only have experience with frustration.
Old 02-17-15, 07:07 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Help me please....I promise I will listen to all advise even if it's not what I want to here.
Unfortunately, the best advise we as VFers can give is the kind you are unable to take.

Quote:
We don't have money for me to go to go to the doctor. I already go to for enough doc appts...
I am truly, genuinely sorry and saddened that this is the case. But the reality is that we cannot in good conscience offer more help other than "get enough rest and avoid movements that hurt". Because even generic help found on-line can't possibly take into account your individual situation.

As for the attachment - there is more than one hamstring and other muscles have hamstring-like actions, and they can attach close to the hip/pelvis as well as on the lower leg (or even along the inside of the femur), which is why this issue is more complicated than it first appears.

ETA: I agree with everything Yelly said above.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Old 02-17-15, 07:28 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I have a shoulder injury for which I've been going to PT. Heat and ice have definitely helped, so maybe try that (heat before whatever exercise/stretching, heat in morning. Ice after exertion.) I've been following a low-inflammatory diet, too. I don't know to what extent that helps (since my diet before was fairly low in inflammatory foods), but my shoulder has improved in recent weeks.

So sorry your struggling and are not able to see anyone. I was very discouraged with my injury, too. I've been seeing the PT for about two months and it's starting to get better. At one month I was very discouraged, but I seem to have turned a corner, though it's def. not fully healed. I think these things just take longer than we like or expect!
Old 02-17-15, 07:44 PM  
lorajc

deleted
Closed Thread

Tags
hamstring, hamstring injury, injuries, stress