Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-15, 08:11 AM  
Bchgrl42

Barre workout reccomendations

I just signed up for 5 weeks at the Pure Barre in my area and am hooked! But it's normally quite pricey so I was thinking I would invest in some videos once my 5 weeks is up. Right now I'm considering

Pure Barre (all of them)
Barre3
Xtend barre
Barre amped

Which ones will I like if I love the pure barre classes?

Also, how often should I be going and what types of cardio compliment it well? TIA!
Bchgrl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 09:10 AM  
neatski

If you like Pure Barre, you should definitely check out Suzanne Bowen's streaming if streaming is an option for you. It's a total bargain for $10 a month. The workouts are varied and quite challenging, and they are more in the athletic barre style of Pure Barre.

My favorite Pure Barre-style DVDs are:
-Pure Barre Pershing Square 2 (most challenging PB DVD I've tried)
-The Bar Method Dancer's Body- if you like the energy of PB, I'd avoid the other BM DVDs because the pacing is so much slower, but Dancer's Body is advanced and fast paced.
-Ballet Physique Original and Amped- I felt that these were close to the intensity and flow of a live barre class
-P57 Original Vols. 1 & 2, and the Boosters- fun, fast-paced and challenging

Now, I am a total Barre3 devotee, but if you like the more traditional barre moves and the fast pace of PB, you might not like Barre3. Barre3 infuses some barre moves in the workouts but uses a lot more compound stuff and yoga postures.

Then again, I generally like intense, tough workouts, and Barre3 is one of my favorite genres of workouts of all time because it balances my other workouts out. And the more you do them, the harder they are. I literally drip with sweat when I do them now. Finally, I think Barre3 provides a more functional workout because of the compound moves. I used to like more traditional barre but rarely do it now that I have converted to Barre3.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 09:15 AM  
neatski

Oh, to answer your question about number of workouts per week and cardio... You're going to get a lot of different opinions about this. Generally, standard recommendations are to avoid working the same muscle groups to failure multiple days in a row. However, barre doesn't work the muscles like traditional strength training, so some people say it's fine on consecutive days. I think listening to your body is the best policy. I do it about 5 days a week (mostly 30-40 minute Barre3 workouts) and have suffered no ill effects. In terms of cardio, I personally think that steady state cardio is a waste of time unless you enjoy it. That's just my opinion; I'm sure you'll hear from others who disagree. I do short, high intensity circuits a few times a week to supplement the upper body strength training (which I think is lacking in barre). They include short cardio bursts. That's all my body needs.

Old 01-27-15, 09:26 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchgrl42 View Post
I just signed up for 5 weeks at the Pure Barre in my area and am hooked! But it's normally quite pricey so I was thinking I would invest in some videos once my 5 weeks is up. Right now I'm considering

Pure Barre (all of them)
Barre3
Xtend barre
Barre amped

Which ones will I like if I love the pure barre classes?

Also, how often should I be going and what types of cardio compliment it well? TIA!
I took PB classes last winter and I agree, very addicting! Of the PB DVDs I highly recommend the Studio Series. They are most like the live classes. Most of the others are rather disappointing in comparison to the live classes. I agree with Neatski's recommendation on the Pershing Square one - if that's the one with the double band OMG is that hard!

I also enjoy P57 because their videos aren't the "same ole, same ole" That's the thing with the PB DVDs, they are exactly the same with different "gadgets." I do like the Studio Series though, because it truly is like the classes - while the format is the same, each one does target you a little bit differently.

I am also like Neatski in that I'm enjoying barre3 these days. I'm doing their streaming and all the workouts are wonderful. I did try Suzanne Bowen and I just didn't love it, but I know tons of people highly recommend it, and I'm thinking I may try it again when I have more time.

I also like the ballet physique workouts and agree, they are tough.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 09:33 AM  
Bchgrl42

One thing I love about the classes is the music. It's awesome and very motivating. Not "Muzak". Barre3 intrigues me plus it's out of Portland Oregon so kind of my neck of the woods. I like to support the locals and all. I hear Madonna is doing it so that's a selling point I guess. I highly doubt she would waste her time. I'm recovering from acl surgery and have two shoulder impingements. I think heavy weights for me are just a thing of the past. I'm so tired of my body hurting constantly! Now the big question is if barre workouts will give me results. Thank you all for the recommendations!
Old 01-27-15, 09:56 AM  
neatski

Unfortunately, most barre DVDs have crappy instrumental music due to copyright issues. I use my own.

I am an advanced exerciser and absolutely love my results from Barre3/some short high intensity workouts. Beyond stopping snacking, I haven't changed my eating a lot (but I ate cleanly before, for the most part). I lost inches everywhere and my abs look amazing. My clothes fit better than they ever have. I like a more muscular look but tend to put on muscle in my lower body easily; my lower body is now the leanest and slimmest it's ever been.

I don't know that barre is magical or anything like that, but I enjoy it so much that I've been super consistent with it and that is what I think has led to the results.

Old 01-27-15, 09:59 AM  
Bchgrl42

I've been exercising for years and am actually a certified personal trainer, spin instructor and group x instructor. Cathe has always been my go to favorites. Barre though is the first workout I've been this excited about.